Battery Power Cut off Switch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Battery Power Cut off Switch

Hey Guys

Have an 05 LT and a battery draw that I think is linked to my DICE system. Regardless I think I would like to instal a "battery power cut off switch" to stop this drain until I have found the real problem. Any suggestions on the one I should use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:17 am

Re: Battery Power Cut off Switch

Get the Centech Ap-1 with the relay and wire the Dice and what ever else into that

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:38 am Thread Starter

The Centech Ap-1 is just an auxiliary fuse panlel. I need to kill all power to the bike with the likes of a battery shut off you find on a boat, but in motorcycle size.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:58 am

I think Kra961 meant the Centech fuse panel with a relay. That cuts the power when ignition is off.

I had one of those on my F650GS. You buy the fuse panel and a relay.

On the LT I bought the Fuzeblock with built in relay. The bonus of this device is that it caters for switched and always on feeds.

1999 K1200LT (Fastest Colour, Canyon Red)
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 2:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You could always add a switch to the Dice harness to switch it off. I don't know of any cutoffs that will fit the small area in the LT.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 2:52 pm

James read up on the centech there is also a relay that allows for switched and unswitched power to the fuse block all my electronics are setup on as switched power meaning the key needs to be on in order for them to have power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk
The Centech Ap-1 is just an auxiliary fuse panlel. I need to kill all power to the bike with the likes of a battery shut off you find on a boat, but in motorcycle size.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 3:22 pm

With cutting off all the power all the time, your motronic will always reset. It will be constantly learning all of the bikes settings. Also, every time you reconnect the battery, you would have to turn the key on, fully open and close the throttle two times, shut off the ignition, then start the bike. Then do the whole thing again when you disconnect the power!
I would try the disconnect switch for the dice unit first. This was a known issue on the early dice units. There is a posting somewhere detailing how to install the switch.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #8 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 3:54 pm

James,

if you have the Dice hooked up to the OEM CD-changer harness the problem is there. Namely one of the harness wires (sorry, I'm not 100% sure any more, but I think red/blue) has constant +12V from the battery.
You can search the correct wire by using a pin needle and pushing it through the wire isolation and the checking it with a multimeter.

An easy fix to this is that you cut this wire and instead feed it from your switched source, for example from your rear seat heater supply. This way your Dice will no longer drain your battery when the bike is standing.

Another possibility is to add a small switch to this said CD-changer wire and turn the switch off when you park the bike. One more thing to remember of course...

I would definately not start building a battery cut off switch just for this purpose. Terrible overkill IMHO...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #9 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Found the Fuze Block link

http://www.nippynormans.com/Fuze-Blo...tinfo/FUZ-FZ1/

1999 K1200LT (Fastest Colour, Canyon Red)
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
With cutting off all the power all the time, your motronic will always reset. It will be constantly learning all of the bikes settings. Also, every time you reconnect the battery, you would have to turn the key on, fully open and close the throttle two times, shut off the ignition, then start the bike. Then do the whole thing again when you disconnect the power!
I would try the disconnect switch for the dice unit first. This was a known issue on the early dice units. There is a posting somewhere detailing how to install the switch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Might just be my 02 K1200LT, but I've pulled the batter a few times and completely disconnected the batter several times and never had to go through what you mentioned about re-learning and twisting the throttle. Maybe I'm not getting the benefit of something! Seems to be running well though.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 6:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Might just be my 02 K1200LT, but I've pulled the batter a few times and completely disconnected the batter several times and never had to go through what you mentioned about re-learning and twisting the throttle. Maybe I'm not getting the benefit of something! Seems to be running well though.

Dan it is not necessary to do the TPS reset every time you disconnect the battery. I forgot to after my clutch job and had no issues. It may reduce the motronic learning curve.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 14 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:12 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Battery Power Cut off Switch - DICE battery drain

OK, another victim of the DICE unit... I missed the threads on battery drain...

So in this picture there are 3 wires on the OEM CD changer wiring (lower wires in the pic), and I disconnected the "fused" end of the connector, and put a multimeter on the feed end to check what was live... bike power switched off at key, of course!
So, the centre red/blue wire is +12v, as expected according to the various threads.
However, I was also getting ~ +12v from the white/purple wire just next to it.... ???

If I go ahead and put a switch on the red/blue (or feed it from the rear switched 12v supply, which I prefer) should this fix my battery drain issues?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 14 Old Jan 16th, 2011, 11:30 pm

You folks may want to check the status of your 12V CD or Dice untis leads when the key is in the locked position, not the off position. I have an '05 K1200LT that will draw down the battery if unrriden in about 1 and 1/2 weeks if I leave the key in the off postion. As I understand it, the key in the locked position shuts off more power sources than when the key in the the off position.
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:21 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kminz
You folks may want to check the status of your 12V CD or Dice untis leads when the key is in the locked position, not the off position. I have an '05 K1200LT that will draw down the battery if unrriden in about 1 and 1/2 weeks if I leave the key in the off postion. As I understand it, the key in the locked position shuts off more power sources than when the key in the the off position.
I always leave mine in "lock" which is the "OFF" position with the key removed, never just turned 1/2 way between R & OFF which also seems to cut the power but leaves the steering free to turn & you can't remove the key. The DICE unit still drained it in 2-3 days. The battery is an OEM that was replaced Nov 2009, so still under warranty... but I'm pretty sure the battery is not at fault.

So, I've cut the red/blue wire and connected that to the key-switched power that I run the autocom unit from (won't come on until the key is at least in the accessories "R" position).
The Ipod seems to now stay uncharged until a little while after the key is turned to R... so I'm hoping its all good.
I'm still a little concerned about possible drain from that white/purple wire though....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in