One more windshield discussion! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

One more windshield discussion!

I think I have now read every previous post regarding after market windshield preferences.
I would still like to hear some opinions on the best shield from a pillion standpoint. I want to reduce the buffeting she currently experiences with the stock 24" shield I have now. She always wants it in the full up position at anything above 30 to 40 m.p.h. so I am forced to look through the shield so other than optical clarity, I really don't have any preference. I am about 6' and have the seat in the high position and can see over the shield when it is fully down. She is about 5'2" and her head is just slightly higher than me when we are riding.
It would be great to eliminate the "Backwash" that hits my back with the shield fully raised as well.
Does this mythical windshield exist?
Thanks all.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: One more windshield discussion!

I don't know if the perfect windscreen exists. I went from the stock OEM windscreen to a Cee Bailey's. Although I like it better, she says she feels more turbulance on the back of her helmet. If you figure this one out, I would like to hear the answer also.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 8:06 pm

I think the elimination of the backwash is dependent on raising the windshield about 1'-2" when you are going over 55 mph, that allows enough air "in" to offset the backwash. I have a Cee Bailey that pushes the air over my helmet and I can see over it. I am 6'3" and have a standard height windshield. Obviously how tall you are will make a big difference in the height of your shield.

Stark
2014 1200RT
In the past
2005 LT
2002 Honda 1300 VTX
2000 Honda 750

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 8:58 pm

I recently bought a '03 K1200LT. It came with a after market windshield. I have mixed feelings on it.

It has what I call a Pregnant bump. I.E. about half way down, it has a bump that protrudes out, and a scoop at the bottom. This allows some air to enter and after hitting the inner shield gives a nice gentle breeze. It's a bit taller and at the top alot aggressive (basically nearly vertical). At 50% height, 1up, I am completely bubbled. At about 85% 2up we are both bubbled.

BUT, I hate the distortion it has. On 2 up it isn't too bad.But on 1up where the sheild goes from smooth to the 'bump' it causes a distortion about 10' in front of the bike. AND IT DRIVES ME WILD!!!!

Soooooo, basicly. I find it's better than OEM (from what I read) on bubbling for 1 and 2 up. But I hate the distortion with a passion.

I'm honestly looking for a stock windshield and the chrome strips to replace my aftermarket windshield.

James Scott
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Can I assume that the Cee Bailey with the reverse curve will provide a larger "pocket" behind the windshield protecting the passenger more?

198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 5th, 2010, 7:45 pm

I don't know about that assumption.

Stark
2014 1200RT
In the past
2005 LT
2002 Honda 1300 VTX
2000 Honda 750
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

If it's not too much trouble, would everyone kindly call their passengers into the room and have them give me their opinion on the best shield for them?
Seriously though,I really can only afford to buy one windshield and it needs to be the right one.
Any opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.

198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
post #8 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Have you played with the two wings under the mirror? I'm amazed at how they change the air flow, and just wondering if some of your relief might come from there. I would also wonder what a vent cut into the windshield, like the GW has, would do to airflow.
Just thinking out loud.
Pay no attention to the man behind the computer screen.
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 6:38 pm

All this worry about "back wash", I don't really understand why?
First off, you should see youtube and the demo video about Comparing Polycarbonate shield vs Acrylic, it is an eye opener if you care about safety. The OEM is polycarbonate.
Wearing a full shield helmet and vented leather gear, takes care of the wind/air movement.
I would not change my OEM shield if Ceebailey gave me a free one.
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 9:02 pm

LESN,

I wouldn't worry, my experience suggests that Cee Bailey will not give you anything for free. And, all things considered, I saw the YouTube video about motorcycles, they don't look safe to me.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 9:48 pm

"All this worry about "back wash", I don't really understand why?"

It's a matter of passenger comfort. The buffeting can be extremely uncomfortable, and to solve that for the passengers comfort is a real no brainer! If my wife ever complained about it, I'd do all I could to remedy the problem. Understand now?
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:04 pm

FPMLT,

Good point my friend, "a happy wife is a happy life". Words to live by. If you think you can solve wind buffet problems with helmets and gear, (who cares what she thinks), why ride an LT? The best 'two up' bike on the market is for a couple, and I care what she thinks.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

post #13 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:13 pm

I have an '03 LTC with a Cee Bailey #24 -2". I'm 6'0 and my pillion (wife) is 5'. I love the windshield down because it keeps the wind and rain off of my face, but my wife complains of a strong push in her back and helmet buffetting. Above about 45 mph we have to put the windshield most of the way up. Mine is very good optically, but it doesn't shed rain. All in all, my Cee Bailey is better than my OEM was.

Just my .02 cents worth.

03 K1200LTC
94 K75S
Too Many others to list
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 12:59 am

OK guys, I guess , I stand corrected.
For me-if I want that much comfort, I ride/drive a car. One of the joys of riding...is in fact the wind blowing in my face and elsewhere.
I realize we are not all the same and we have the ladies to contend with, the sidecar was my answer. Now talk about comfort !!
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 3:50 am

I just installed a Parabellum on my '03 LT. I haven't had a chance to test it with my wife on board, but I can tell you that it is optically clear - no distortion at all. So if I need to raise it higher for my wife, it will be much better than the stock. I'll let you know how she likes it as soon as I can.

Jim

'03 K1200LT
Garland, TX (Dallas area)
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 7:13 am

I like my cee bailey. At speed, I raise it enough to quieten the ride...maybe 20%, and I can still see over it and my wife doesn't complain...but, she doesn't complain much about a little wind anyway.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuellertoo
If it's not too much trouble, would everyone kindly call their passengers into the room and have them give me their opinion on the best shield for them?
Seriously though,I really can only afford to buy one windshield and it needs to be the right one.
Any opinions and advice are greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.

NewBuellertoo,

As a more affordable "band aid" while you do more research: Might I suggest asking about a Laminar Lip (http://www.laminarlip.com/k1200lt.php)

You keep your current OEM windshield and add the lip. It claims to allow you to keep the windshield at a lower level and deflect more wind over...this might make Momma happy.

Just a thought of an option.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the input guys!
As I probably didn't state it very clearly, this is about comfort for my wife, not for me.
I would ride on a seat made out of nails, in a hail storm with no windshield if it was a chance to get out.
This is the first bike I have had with a windshield and I was surprised by the amount of pressure on my back from the wind with the shield full up. Guess I need to study up on aerodynamics here.
I will take a look at the video regarding safety, but I know I need something other than the O.E.M. shield to keep the little lady happy.

198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in