Audio System Malfunction - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Audio System Malfunction

Help..... I purchased a DICE controller and went to install it and now I'm in trouble. I have an 06 with a single CD head unit, so I purchased the "Pig Tail" adapter suggested on this site so I could plug in my DICE unit directly to the back of the head unit. After getting things to a point where I could test to make sure things were working without putting everthing back together I found that the audio unit would not power on. Nada nothing! I put everthing back to the factory arrangement thinking that may resolve the issues to no avail. Does anyone know if the head unit is theft protected and is locked or disable if the connector for the unit is removed? I double checked the fuse to the unit to make sure it was the cause. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 6:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Audio System Malfunction

It should work provided you've got all the connectors back on correctly. The main one on the back is a bit of a pain make sure the "bail" is all the way up then seat it and the bail should drop. Press it all the way down. Also check all the exterior connectors (three on the front up under the dash and the side barrel). If you got in far enough don't forget the controller plug that goes in the top of the stingray (inside) when you place the main body back in.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

jzeiler,

Thanks for the reply.... Unfortunately I have done all of the things recommended. I have the head unit removed from the bottom and setting on the gas tank. Also I have disassembled the top of the stingray so I could have the controller attached while testing as well.... Any other suggestions other than Beemer Boneyard for a replacement head unit?

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 6:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is a fuse in the back of the radio - 10 amp as well as one under the rear seat (F4 - 7.5 amp). Also try removing the negative terminal on the battery for 5 minutes as well as it forces a hard reset on the radio.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

John,

That is the one thing that I haven't tried yet... Going out to get a cold one and removing the battery cable.... I'll check back in after a few

Cheers,
Tom
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

John,

Not looking especially good at the moment.... Anything else you'd suggest?

Do you know of a good way to test the head unit and/or the controller seperate from each other to isolate which componant may have failed?

Cheers,
Tom
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:12 pm

I've got bad news for you. I called the Dice folks and they tell me something is different about the radio on the '06 LT and their unit will not work with it. I have an '09 and they can't guarantee it will work with mine so for now I have passed on it. I think your pursuit might be fruitless.

Sorry

Eric
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Eric,

The DICE controller that I purchased actually listed the 06 directly on the box. It's interesting that DICE would say that the head unit is different and wouldn't work. I have much bigger issues than the controller after attempting the installation. I believe I damaged that factory control unit for the radio/CD so I opted for plan B I have installed a new Kenwood in-dash CD player that is iPod/iPhone ready to remedy the problem for now. Took the bike out for a test ride on Monday and it works fine other than the inconvience of not being able to control the stereo from the handlebar controls.

Cheers,
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in