cheapo beadrider - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

cheapo beadrider

In the long running discussion on seating for the LT, I have seen multiple references to a homemade beadrider. People have said they bought the beaded seat cover from Walmart (checked it out, really cheap!) and made their own beadrider...I looked at the beaded seat cover, and I'm not sure how you might cut off a smaller section to fit on the LT seat..It kind of looks like if you cut one of the fishing lines woven through the beads, it would cause the whole thing to dismantle.. Anyone who has done this, please impart your wisdom and knowledge...Thanks, Rich C.
p.s. I tried the gel seat pad they sell at Walmart for 20 bucks, and I can't say it helped much, and for the most part it felt really warm on my buttocks, I kept checking to see if the heater was on...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:45 pm

Re: cheapo beadrider

Rich
I did get a Walmart bead seat and make it smaller........
I do not remember how I cut the binding but it was fairly easy to do.
As I recall, it did require some restringing...........
(didn't work for me so it's gone now otherwise I'd send it to ya')

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 7:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The trick is to mark where you want to cut. Then use line from the other half of the seat cover to weave through the border to hold it all together. A lot of knot tieing. Then cut away the part you don't want.

Don't expect beads to make the seat feel better - it will just make it cooler and "different". By all means don't sit on the beads all day, but rather mix it up. Beads then no beads, sheepskin , then no sheepskin. I made the beads all day mistake and by the time 10 hours were over I could count every bead with my lower "cheeks".

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I was trying to get some ventilation on the seat, I suppose I should quit trying out the cheap stuff and drop the bundle on a custom seat, but the stock seat is not bad for me....Hey maybe a seat vibrator or something to increase the circulation?

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:54 pm

I also bought mine from Walmart and just tied the smaller end to the luggage rack and draped it over both seats.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 1:11 am

Thumbs up Re: cheapo beadrider

You live in Oak Harbor & haven't gone to see Rich yet? I just drove all the way across the state on Friday, they did my seat and cannot believe the difference in comfort. Best money I've spent on comfort since I bought the LT. Just remember, the seat is made for YOU. I have also tried the beadrider, sheepskin, Airhawk and this solved my problems.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 5:06 am

I bought the ceramic beads from Bead Rider and really like them. I leave them on all the time. I'm sure it's not as good as a Russell or a Meyer custom seat, but it really makes a difference for me. I've tried gel pads and they didn't help even a little bit. AirHawk is excellent and I like the beads. I had wooden beads before and when the string (nylon?) began to deteriorate, I replaced it with a ceramic set. I'm not sure why, but the ceramic seems to be better - worth the additional cost.

My Moto Guzzi Jackel had a stock seat from Hell. The AirHawk was the only thing I found that tamed it. Then I bought a used Corbin which was way better than the stock, but I still used the AirHawk on longer trips.

I'm reasonably comfortable on the LT with the beads, but I will probably get a Russell in the near future.

Jim

'03 K1200LT
Garland, TX (Dallas area)
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 5:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
In the long running discussion on seating for the LT, I have seen multiple references to a homemade beadrider. People have said they bought the beaded seat cover from Walmart (checked it out, really cheap!) and made their own beadrider...I looked at the beaded seat cover, and I'm not sure how you might cut off a smaller section to fit on the LT seat..It kind of looks like if you cut one of the fishing lines woven through the beads, it would cause the whole thing to dismantle.. Anyone who has done this, please impart your wisdom and knowledge...Thanks, Rich C.
p.s. I tried the gel seat pad they sell at Walmart for 20 bucks, and I can't say it helped much, and for the most part it felt really warm on my buttocks, I kept checking to see if the heater was on...
i took a pair of channel locks and snapped the beads i didnt want in half
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
Thanks for the replies, I was trying to get some ventilation on the seat, I suppose I should quit trying out the cheap stuff and drop the bundle on a custom seat, but the stock seat is not bad for me....Hey maybe a seat vibrator or something to increase the circulation?
If you want ventilation we've got you covered:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2992.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	29071   Click image for larger version

Name:	mesh2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	29072  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 8:58 pm

I did as Lenny did , worked well , but the mice in the barn chewed it up , it was on the lawn tractor .

Bob G
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 4th, 2010, 3:40 pm

I bought an auto beaded seat from Pep Boys ($15), just cut the bottom half away from the top half and used skinny bungees to hold to my Ulysses, then after that got sold, used the same lower half on the LT, looks cheesy, but it works. No need to cut the monofilament that holds the beads together.
For me, the LT seat is way to low, even in the high position, so the beads bring it up a bit. But jzeiler had the right idea, no matter what you use, sheepskin, beads, etc. I find it's good to change every couple hundred miles or so.

2005 K1200LT
1987 K75S
2010 Honda XR650
Buell Ulsses (R.I.P)
R100GS
++++++
"Hey, I figure what the hell, you know what I mean??"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in