iPhone / Navigation Mounting Solution - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage
iPhone / Navigation Mounting Solution

After weeks of contemplating which nav unit to buy, how to mount, spend HOW MUCH $$$, I decided to use my iPhone 4 w/Navigon software combined with a ProClip mounting solution. WORKS GREAT for under $75.

This set up mounts in the factory Nav location on the stingray and uses the factory square nuts and factory allen head bolts for attachment.

I hid the original wiring under the stingray and used the factory painted "cover" to finish things off nicely. The mount rotates, has an arm to securely hold the iPhone in place and has a quick disconnect on the base plate for quick and easy removal. The base plate is a standard AMPS 4 hole mounting pattern

I have attached photos which detail the installation, so a verbal description would be wasted. Feel free to ask questions.

I have learned so much from the expertise on this site, I hope this can help out some.

--------------------------------------------------
ProClip site: www.proclipusa.com

Holder w/Tilt Swivel (iPhone 4 specific - others available) Item # 511170
Device Mounting Adapter (AMPS Standard Holes) Quick Disconnect. Item # 215053

Good Luck !!

np
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-0.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	29011   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	29012   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	29013   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	29014   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	29015  

Name:	photo-5.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	29016   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-6.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	29017   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-7.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	29018   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-8.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	29019   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-9.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	29020  

Best Regards,

NP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: iPhone / Navigation Mounting Solution

Some additional photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-10.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	29021   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-11.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	29022   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-12.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	29023   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-13.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	29024   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-14.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	29025  

Best Regards,

NP
post #3 of 25 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Nick,

Looks great. How will it handle water? The day I bought my LT it was pouring rain and I made the mistake of putting my iPhone in my one "non-waterproof" pocket. Found out later that iPhones don't like water and destroyed it. Be careful.

Jim

post #4 of 25 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Water is an issue. I was considering using some sort of ZipLock baggie type solution if I really need the nav during rain. Otherwise, I'll write down directions and run the old fashioned way until the rain stops.

Best Regards,

NP
post #5 of 25 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 10:25 pm

I've been wondering if anyone here uses their phone for navigation, been looking for a detailed mod like this!

So thnx for sharing!

PS- any chance on a photo taken from the side or rear when mounted, kinda hard to see how that tilt swivel base is mounted.

2005 K1200LT
post #6 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 1:35 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO
I've been wondering if anyone here uses their phone for navigation, been looking for a detailed mod like this!

So thnx for sharing!

PS- any chance on a photo taken from the side or rear when mounted, kinda hard to see how that tilt swivel base is mounted.
I will see if I can post a few more pics. If you look at the photos I included originally, you can see the 2 pieces of the quick disconnect base bracket. One piece is shown already bolted to the bike and the other half is shown in the pic of the individual components.

The swivel portion is part of the iPhone 4 specific cradle, which bolts to the one half of the quick disconnect. (shown apart and bolted together in 2 separate pics). The 2 halves of the quick disconnect base just slide into one another and click to lock. (if you look closely at the half shown in the component photo, you can see a little ball bearing which acts as the lock).

Hope that helps a little.

Best Regards,

NP
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 6:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmrock
Nick,

Looks great. How will it handle water? The day I bought my LT it was pouring rain and I made the mistake of putting my iPhone in my one "non-waterproof" pocket. Found out later that iPhones don't like water and destroyed it. Be careful.
I simply use a ziploc bag to protect my nav from rain.
And if you drown your iPhone again, try burying it in a bag of rice. The rice will wick the water out. It works for iPods.

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #8 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 9:36 am

I am unable to get onto the Ram Mount web site right now, but they had a waterproof holder for the iPhone.
Sorry I can't provide the link.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #9 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickp
Some additional photos
I live in San Diego.....I found my i-phone can not withstand a long ride in direct sun light...discovered a large tri-angle shaped over temp warning icon...had to cool phone down to use...

post #10 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 6:36 pm

Quote:
I will see if I can post a few more pics. If you look at the photos I included originally, you can see the 2 pieces of the quick disconnect base bracket. One piece is shown already bolted to the bike and the other half is shown in the pic of the individual components.

The swivel portion is part of the iPhone 4 specific cradle, which bolts to the one half of the quick disconnect. (shown apart and bolted together in 2 separate pics). The 2 halves of the quick disconnect base just slide into one another and click to lock. (if you look closely at the half shown in the component photo, you can see a little ball bearing which acts as the lock).

Hope that helps a little.
Hey Nick, actually yes I did see the pic you're speaking of unless the stingray cover is different than my '05 what's losing me is the piece that the base swivel mount is attached to???

My '05 apparently had GPS at some point cuz there is a smaller (than the one on your LT) mount with two cables poking out behind. I have no intentions on trying to figure out which make or model he had mounted there so that's where my interest started to find something for my HTC Evo. That proclip site looks to be an awesome source and will probably go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
I am unable to get onto the Ram Mount web site right now, but they had a waterproof holder for the iPhone.
Sorry I can't provide the link.
Yes they do and the RAM system was the other route I was looking into, however, that waterproof box you're speaking of doesn't allow the use of the touch screen phones, which is a turn off for me. I just picked up the BlueAnt Interphone F4 system and wanted to be able to dial out with one touch. So Im thinking the ProClip mount would work better for me.

2005 K1200LT

Last edited by XFBO; Oct 1st, 2010 at 6:42 pm.
post #11 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 6:40 pm

[QUOTE=wArt]I simply use a ziploc bag to protect my nav from rain.
And if you drown your iPhone again, try burying it in a bag of rice. The rice will wick the water out. It works for iPods.[/QUOTE

Thanks! One time was all it took to appreciate the iPhone's sensitivity to water. Hope to never get it wet again, but if it does I'll stick it in rice.
post #12 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 7:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
After weeks of contemplating which nav unit to buy, how to mount, spend HOW MUCH $$$, I decided to use my iPhone 4 w/Navigon software combined with a ProClip mounting solution. WORKS GREAT for under $75.

This set up mounts in the factory Nav location on the stingray and uses the factory square nuts and factory allen head bolts for attachment.

I hid the original wiring under the stingray and used the factory painted "cover" to finish things off nicely. The mount rotates, has an arm to securely hold the iPhone in place and has a quick disconnect on the base plate for quick and easy removal. The base plate is a standard AMPS 4 hole mounting pattern

I have attached photos which detail the installation, so a verbal description would be wasted. Feel free to ask questions.

I have learned so much from the expertise on this site, I hope this can help out some.

ProClip site: www.proclipusa.com

Holder w/Tilt Swivel (iPhone 4 specific - others available) Item # 511170
Device Mounting Adapter (AMPS Standard Holes) Quick Disconnect. Item # 215053

Good Luck !!

np
Now I have a crick in my neck looking at these sideways pictures!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Now I have a crick in my neck looking at these sideways pictures!
Sorry 'bout that. If you click on the individual thumbnails, they straighten out.

Best Regards,

NP
post #14 of 25 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Garage

[QUOTE=XFBO]Hey Nick, actually yes I did see the pic you're speaking of unless the stingray cover is different than my '05 what's losing me is the piece that the base swivel mount is attached to???

My '05 apparently had GPS at some point cuz there is a smaller (than the one on your LT) mount with two cables poking out behind. I have no intentions on trying to figure out which make or model he had mounted there so that's where my interest started to find something for my HTC Evo. That proclip site looks to be an awesome source and will probably go that route.

--------------------------------

I believe the part you referring to is the color keyed cover which fits over the black bracket housed underneath. The part that is actually bolted to the stingray is a black bracket which has a place for the 4 square nuts which are used to secure the GPS. The color keyed cover fits over the black bracket and actually holds the 4 square nuts in place so you can screw the GPS to it

I attached the ProClip bracket to the color keyed cover as shown in the pics.

Hope that explains it.

Best Regards,

NP
post #15 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 7:06 am

Yes, I think it does.....ty!

2005 K1200LT
post #16 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Sorry 'bout that. If you click on the individual thumbnails, they straighten out.

They don't for me. I tried that before I posted the note about them being rotated. I've never seen thumbnails appear rotated before and I've never found that enlarging a thumbnail rotated the picture. I always just get a larger vesion of what is there as a thumbnail.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
They don't for me. I tried that before I posted the note about them being rotated. I've never seen thumbnails appear rotated before and I've never found that enlarging a thumbnail rotated the picture. I always just get a larger vesion of what is there as a thumbnail.
I thought it was weird as well. When I snapped the pics, all were taken with the correct orientation. When I posted ....... twisty.

I use my iPad when I am cruising the forum and when I tap on the thumbnails, they open a new window and straigten out.

Best Regards,

NP
post #18 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I thought it was weird as well. When I snapped the pics, all were taken with the correct orientation. When I posted ....... twisty.

I use my iPad when I am cruising the forum and when I tap on the thumbnails, they open a new window and straigten out.
Your iPad is obviously much more intelligent than is my Lenovo laptop running IE!!

Did you post the pics from your iPad? I've never seen pictures on the forum come in rotated 90 degrees before.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Your iPad is obviously much more intelligent than is my Lenovo laptop running IE!!

Did you post the pics from your iPad? I've never seen pictures on the forum come in rotated 90 degrees before.
I posted from my Mac Book.

Best Regards,

NP
post #20 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 4:33 pm

Quote:
I posted from my Mac Book.
Thats weird - they don't auto rotate on my netbook w/IE 8, butt they do on my iPhone. Must have sumpthin' to do with Apple compatibility?
post #21 of 25 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Thats weird - they don't auto rotate on my netbook w/IE 8, butt they do on my iPhone. Must have sumpthin' to do with Apple compatibility?
It's part of Apple's plan for Global Domination. "Use Apple or your world will be twisted".

Best Regards,

NP
post #22 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:17 am

First, Amazon sells 10 different types of water resistant and water proof cases for the iPhone starting at about 25.00. Check them out.

Second, Some programs or cameras will show you the image in the proper orientation for viewing regardless of it's actual orientation. However when you post it to the web, what you see is how it was actually saved. Download the free Picasa Photo viewer from Google and fix the images in there before you post them. It's also great for resizing, editing, cropping and correcting the images and adding text.

Oh did I mention it's free!

Picasa For Mac - http://picasa.google.com/mac/

Picasa For PC - http://picasa.google.com/#utm_campai...tm_term=picasa

While I'm at it, here are some other free programs.

Antivirus (remove all other virus softwere first):

Microsoft Essentials - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

AVG Free - http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-f...ivirus.tpl-crp

Spyware removal:

Malware Bytes (Run this even if you "think" you have no problems)

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button

Enjoy
post #23 of 25 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 10:57 am

I have an '05 LT with a outdated broken Nav II. I would like to switch to a smartphone GPS as in your iphone, but would also like to hardwire it to the LT.
The old Nav II had a "pin" style power cord. The HTC , or a Motorola Droid X, has a small "usb" style power outlet. Is there an adapter somewhere??
Did you hardwire your phone or is it running on batteries???

2005 K1200LT
1987 K75S
2010 Honda XR650
Buell Ulsses (R.I.P)
R100GS
++++++
"Hey, I figure what the hell, you know what I mean??"
post #24 of 25 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Either buy a micro-usb cord long enough to reach your power source or splice one in just behind where it would show and pass it through the existing hole. you might want to add a rubber grommet to protect from chafing.

Use a meter to determine which conductor is +12V and which is ground, solder the wires together and insulate with a little heat shrink.

If your soldering skills are lacking I'm sure someone local to you would be glad to help you out.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnickfly
I have an '05 LT with a outdated broken Nav II. I would like to switch to a smartphone GPS as in your iphone, but would also like to hardwire it to the LT.
The old Nav II had a "pin" style power cord. The HTC , or a Motorola Droid X, has a small "usb" style power outlet. Is there an adapter somewhere??
Did you hardwire your phone or is it running on batteries???

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #25 of 25 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Garage

Sorry Guys. Have not been around for a while. Crashed my bike 6 weeks after I bought it, (back in October) and totaled it. First time in 30 years of riding that I ever layed one down. Fresh road gravel which spilled into the roadway, on a blind corner. Not fun.... wish more highway crew workers rode and understood the repercussions of sloppy work!!

Best Regards,

NP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in