Got Caught in the Rain - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Got Caught in the Rain

This Morning I Rode through a pretty strong Thunder Storm

I have heard that you dont get too wet but i was shocked ....My Jacket sleeve got a little wet .....
I have a Nolen Helmet.....I lowered the Winsheild down and the wind blow dryed the faceshield....it was kinda fun .....i know it is not smart to ride in the rain ...but i wont be so freaked out about the thought of it next time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Re: Got Caught in the Rain

Nothing wrong with riding in the rain. Just about anytime I have been on a long trip, I always run into rain. Had a Honda Valkyrie and it would handle rain pretty good. Had to ride in the hail / rain once on that one, and that was a booger. But it handled it well. So far, on my LT, I have been lucky. So, it sounds like you don't get too wet on the LT, is that your take on it? Any feeling of hydroplaning?
post #3 of 32 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 1:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've found rain accumulates on the seat. Good to have water-resist pants and remove puddle frequently with hand. No hydroplaning that I've ever noticed with the Metz.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 32 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 4:30 pm

I think you guys need to live in the UK for a few months. I ride in the rain often, whats the problem? just slow down a little and watch out for the drain covers and white lines. Good tyres work well in the wet.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #5 of 32 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Absolutely correct! If you don't ride in the rain where I live you don't get too much opportunity to ride! I swear that the collective Departments of Transportation have collaborated to make the white lines out of a material that undergoes a phase change when it gets wet. Seems to change to ice.

Be careful out there guys!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
I think you guys need to live in the UK for a few months. I ride in the rain often, whats the problem? just slow down a little and watch out for the drain covers and white lines. Good tyres work well in the wet.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 32 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:17 pm

I have a wiper with delay and all... what can I say, I an Oregonian.

I get a few laughs but when your passing Semi's on the interstate in a downpour its worth the mod.

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #7 of 32 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Absolutely correct! If you don't ride in the rain where I live you don't get too much opportunity to ride! I swear that the collective Departments of Transportation have collaborated to make the white lines out of a material that undergoes a phase change when it gets wet. Seems to change to ice.

Be careful out there guys!

Loren
Geeze Loren, I thought there was something wrong with my tires, So it is the white line...Rode home from work the other day in the rain, and got on the white line on a curve, and OOOOhh a little butt pucker, and a quick slide sideways with very cool recovery I will ALWAYS avoid those slippery white snakes from now on!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 32 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Mike! Must have how to article! A wiper would be the cat's meow!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGregg

I get a few laughs but when your passing Semi's on the interstate in a downpour its worth the mod.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #9 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 12:04 am

I'll see what I can come up with... it was awhile ago.

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #10 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 2:33 am

Talking Re: Got Caught in the Rain

Quote:
Mike! Must have how to article! A wiper would be the cat's meow!

Loren
How about a roof? and a couple of extra wheels for stability? what about a wheel instead of bars..........oh, hang on a minute........

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #11 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 6:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #12 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 6:57 am

I think you might have sonething there. Kind of like an in-line rickshaw. Got any plans for one?

Seruously though a wiper sounds like an awesome farkle here in rain country!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
How about a roof? and a couple of extra wheels for stability? what about a wheel instead of bars..........oh, hang on a minute........

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #13 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 8:06 am

I am new to the LT and the Forum, but have been riding a long time and lurking here for a while.

I try real hard to avoid the rain, but not because I don't feel comfortable handling the bike in the rain (+1 on avoiding paint and tar snakes). It's the other folks on the road that scare me.

My only off happened a few years ago on my morning commute when I began turning into the 2nd half of an S curve in the rain and dark and discovered a pair of headlights right in front of me. A driver coming from the other direction had lost control and was sliding across the road. She ended up going head-on into the guard rail on my side of the road and collected me on the way by.

I was incredibly lucky, as she caught my bike just right to shunt me off to the side; I basically did a nice low side and slid down the road. As I was sliding, all I could think about was getting out of the road before I got run over by the next car. I jumped up, hopped over the guard rail, and other than a couple of bumps and bruises was unscathed (I'm an ATTGATT rider). My bike was a total loss.

Anyway, I gained a real lesson in "trip management". I made a decision that morning to take the fun, curvy road that I usually used instead of the straight one that was actually shorter but boring. I remember thinking about which route to take, and thinking "I'm a good rider...I can handle the rain and I need the practice in the wet". I was right about my end of the deal, but neglected to factor in the other folks and the lack of visibility.

So thanks for hanging with the story...my takeaway from that experience is to remember that riding safety involves a lot of decisions, some of which are made when we're not even on the bike.

I promise...this will be my one and only "preachy" post.
post #14 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 8:08 am

Quote:
I think you might have sonething there. Kind of like an in-line rickshaw. Got any plans for one?

Seruously though a wiper sounds like an awesome farkle here in rain country!

Loren
Too late. BMW has it already covered (pun intended).

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #15 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 8:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
I am new to the LT and the Forum, but have been riding a long time and lurking here for a while.

I try real hard to avoid the rain, but not because I don't feel comfortable handling the bike in the rain (+1 on avoiding paint and tar snakes). It's the other folks on the road that scare me.

My only off happened a few years ago on my morning commute when I began turning into the 2nd half of an S curve in the rain and dark and discovered a pair of headlights right in front of me. A driver coming from the other direction had lost control and was sliding across the road. She ended up going head-on into the guard rail on my side of the road and collected me on the way by.

I was incredibly lucky, as she caught my bike just right to shunt me off to the side; I basically did a nice low side and slid down the road. As I was sliding, all I could think about was getting out of the road before I got run over by the next car. I jumped up, hopped over the guard rail, and other than a couple of bumps and bruises was unscathed (I'm an ATTGATT rider). My bike was a total loss.

Anyway, I gained a real lesson in "trip management". I made a decision that morning to take the fun, curvy road that I usually used instead of the straight one that was actually shorter but boring. I remember thinking about which route to take, and thinking "I'm a good rider...I can handle the rain and I need the practice in the wet". I was right about my end of the deal, but neglected to factor in the other folks and the lack of visibility.

So thanks for hanging with the story...my takeaway from that experience is to remember that riding safety involves a lot of decisions, some of which are made when we're not even on the bike.

I promise...this will be my one and only "preachy" post.
thanks for for sharing your story and glad your here to share

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #16 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGregg

I am still trying to figure out that seat arrangement..........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #17 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
I am still trying to figure out that seat arrangement..........
you noticed that too, eh?
looks like the pillion seat is removed and the top case is moved up against the pilot's seat.
at first I thought I was looking at an MC Escher drawing or something.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #18 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards

What tyres do you folks find to work better in the rain? I run Metzlers and have had them scare the soup out of me more than once in rain.

B D R
post #19 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 8:24 pm

I use Plexus to clean my windshield.
I always clean the windshield before I start out, then at every stop.
On a trip in rain, I'll stop every hour or so to refuel, stretch and reapply the Plexus.
Keeps the rain from sheeting on the windshield.
Slowing down and starting up from the stop are when I can get wet,
not during the ride.
post #20 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:10 pm

I have heard people talk about Metzelers with low grip for years but having tried the other options, Dunlop, Bridgestone etc. I have never experienced less traction with the Metzelers than the others. I agree with others regarding paint stripes etc. but never experienced anything that I could attribute to the tires. I have never had them slip when leaned over and scraping on both sides in the dry and I don't ride like that in the rain.

1999 BMW K1200LT
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #21 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:13 pm

Rain? We don't get no stinking rain around here!

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #22 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:54 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

it actually rained in Vegas today!!!... more like a big sprinkle

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #23 of 32 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 11:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey
This Morning I Rode through a pretty strong Thunder Storm

I have heard that you dont get too wet but i was shocked ....My Jacket sleeve got a little wet .....
I bought my LT on Ebay, flew into Orlando to pick it up. Met the seller at the airport, got on and rode home to Cleveland Ohio. About 15hrs.

It was HOT in Orlando, but I always wear a jacket. So I head off in jeans, leather jacket and gloves. Jacket was only half zipped because of the heat.

Within 30 minutes, I got overtaken by a tropical storm........ Rain was coming in sideways, jacket opened up nicely and filled up with water. As a long time rider, I was used to getting wet, so it didn't really bother me that much to spend the next 8hrs riding through rain, soaked to the skin.

I don't mind getting wet. I don't mind riding in the rain. What I do mind, is waking up in a hotel the next morning and having to put on a still sopping wet, super heavy, leather jacket......... doh!

7 hours of good weather later and I was home. 3 weeks later, the jacket was dry.........

I learned my lesson. For my upcoming 4200 mile trip, I have a rain suit in one of the boxes

Oh, and good move on putting the windscreen down. Not only allows air to clear your visor, but looking through two layers of plastic is a really bad idea....... unless you have that fancy windshield wiper....

Brett Anderson

Australian by birth, American by choice!

If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of The United States of America, and to the Republic which it defines.

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #24 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 5:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
I use Plexus to clean my windshield.
I always clean the windshield before I start out, then at every stop.
On a trip in rain, I'll stop every hour or so to refuel, stretch and reapply the Plexus.
Keeps the rain from sheeting on the windshield.
Slowing down and starting up from the stop are when I can get wet,
not during the ride.
You don't get wet during the ride???
The LT is not that good....I rode thru Nashville this year during the flood and to Quebec once during a 2 inch per hour rain....you get rained on and as wet as your gear will let you...

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #25 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 6:09 am

I just don't like the water pooling in the seat and having a wet crotch but got a pair of Tourmaster pants ( sentinels I believe ) and these solved that problem.
post #26 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 6:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
You don't get wet during the ride???
The LT is not that good....I rode thru Nashville this year during the flood and to Quebec once during a 2 inch per hour rain....you get rained on and as wet as your gear will let you...
Not much.
Rode through three heavy downpours on I-85 between Gainesville, GA to Charlotte, NC.
Got wet when I stopped for gas.
Rode through three thunderstorms between Fort Bragg, NC and Tampa, FL.
Five thunderstorms on the way back.
Rode in rain for the final five hours on an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000.
Minor leakage, but not really wet.

I'm more concerned about visibility (both ways) and traction.
post #27 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:09 am

Wink Re: Got Caught in the Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdriver51
I just don't like the water pooling in the seat and having a wet crotch but got a pair of Tourmaster pants ( sentinels I believe ) and these solved that problem.
Get a Beadrider and watch the water channel away beneath you while you ride! Plus the cooling factor of the air moving beneath your butt in the hot weather makes it priceless!

http://www.beadrider.com/

No affiliation, just a long time satisfied customer.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #28 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:18 am

Beadriders do stop the wet crotch syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Get a Beadrider and watch the water channel away beneath you while you ride! John

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #29 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 1:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Not much.
Rode through three heavy downpours on I-85 between Gainesville, GA to Charlotte, NC.
Rode through three thunderstorms between Fort Bragg, NC and Tampa, FL.
Five thunderstorms on the way back.
Rode in rain for the final five hours on an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000.
Minor leakage, but not really wet.

I'm more concerned about visibility (both ways) and traction.
Don't your gas stations have a roof over the pumps? Most around here do.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #30 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 1:20 pm

My point was that when I'm continuously moving,
I'm fairly protected by the bike and the gear.
I get wet in stop-and-go traffic
and when I'm slowing down, stopping, and starting up from a fuel or food stop.

I spent almost thirty years in Army Special Forces.
I've been wet and cold.
This isn't wet.
If conditions are unsafe, I'll get off the road and wait it out.
If not, the rain is not a deterrent.
post #31 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
My point was that when I'm continuously moving,
I'm fairly protected by the bike and the gear.
I get wet in stop-and-go traffic
and when I'm slowing down, stopping, and starting up from a fuel or food stop.

I spent almost thirty years in Army Special Forces.
I've been wet and cold.
This isn't wet.
If conditions are unsafe, I'll get off the road and wait it out.
If not, the rain is not a deterrent.
Yes, I have found that in up to moderate rain I can stay fairly dry as long as it isn't too windy and I can keep my speed above about 60 MPH. I found I stay drier with the windshield about halfway down. That seems to let the water blow off above my shoulders rather than drip off the top of the shield and then fall into my lap.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #32 of 32 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 4:21 pm

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about my 2009 R1200GS Adventure.
Not the same level of protection.
I've gotten wet on this ride.
Thankful for Plexus, polypro, Gore-Tex and Gerbings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in