Can someone go look at an LT Trike in Searcy Arkansas? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Can someone go look at an LT Trike in Searcy Arkansas?

A friend of mine is looking at the following K1200LT trike at Sunrise Honda in Searcy Arkansas: http://tinyurl.com/285l8wl

. He's thinking of trading in his 2010 GL1800 because his knees aren't very good anymore and has nearly dropped the wing a couple times out on the road. He has dropped it in the garage a couple times.

Would anyone care to run over and give it a once over/look-see?

If you'd like ot contact him directly, the guy looking at this bike is:
Denny Geiseman
(815) 238-6492

I'll relay the info to him if you want to post any observatons here.

Thanks a million!

Mike Gunderson
Davis, IL USA
mrgvideo @ aeroinc . net
(815) 865-5310

Mike Gunderson
MOA #133365
2002 K1200LTC
2003 Uni-Go Trailer
Davis, IL USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Re: Can someone go look at an LT Trike in Searcy Arkansas?

Happy to help.

I charge $80.00 an hour for travel time from my house to return, and once at the destination $160.00 an hour to evaluate the bike. It usually takes two hours and I E-mail a detailed written report with photos at the conclusion. It's up to the client to negotiate the final price.

Round trip coach airfare and a rental car is at cost, with a minimum hotel and meal stipend of $300.00 per day.

Visa, MC and Discover only. Sorry, no AMEX.

Never been to Searcy, but it sounds like a good time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Sep 27th, 2010 at 8:16 pm.
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Trunk latch looks like it's broken not chipped. If you send someone to look at it have them check that out. Seems a little pricey to me but I don't know how much a conversion would cost as far as labor. The kits cost 8.8K and another 12K for an 02 and labor to convert just sounds a little high to me. Just my $.02

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:02 pm

I work in Searcy and will be glad to go over and take a look. Just give me a call and let me know if you are still interested.

870-405-3693
Curtis Traylor

I teach at ASU so if I am in class just leave me a message and I will go look and report back.

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:09 pm

I looked up the NADA value of that bike less the trike kit is $6423.00. Looks alittle on the high side but these folks usually will deal with you. I bought my 99 K1200 lt there and they was asking 9000.00 and I talked them down to 6200.00. Let me know if you want me to go look at it.

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Happy to help.

I charge $80.00 an hour for travel time from my house to return, and once at the destination $160.00 an hour to evaluate the bike. It usually takes two hours and I E-mail a detailed written report with photos at the conclusion. It's up to the client to negotiate the final price.

Round trip coach airfare and a rental car is at cost, with a minimum hotel and meal stipend of $300.00 per day.

Ron when you go bring your seat stuff with you and come down to Baton Rouge and redo my seat for me, LOL

1982 Suzuki SP500 (traded)
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
1998 Honda Shadow 750 (traded)
2000 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado (sold)
2007 BMW K1200LT (son will inherit)
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 4:18 am

Ron, did I read this correctly? ?You charge $80/hr travel time from your house to return? I used to travel for a living and we called this fee a portal to portal charge.

If you leave your house on a Tuesday at noon and get back home at 12 noon on Wednesday your fee would be calculated like this?

22 hours @ $80/ hr or $1760 (This would not include the 2 hr charge while you are assessing the bike)?

Plus $320 for the 2 hr inspection/assessment

Plus the airfare, let's say $200

Plus the cost of the rental car, maybe $45 for a 24 hr rental (varies by location)

Plus $300 per diem

For the grand total of $2620 for the trip?

I guess it would beat buying a lemon.

Loren

Quote:
Happy to help.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 8:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

I would be leery of that speedometer. Also that trunk latch is broken as stated above. In all fairness they may not know that "chip" connected to the lock mechanism. All that aside, I just bought a Honda VTX1800 from that dealership and got an absolute killer deal. It was good enough that I drove 500 miles one way. If you make the trip, there is a Super 8 Motel one block from them.
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 8:52 am

But the OEM flashlight in the oddments box has to be worth at least $3k.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Ron, did I read this correctly? ?You charge $80/hr travel time from your house to return? I used to travel for a living and we called this fee a portal to portal charge.

If you leave your house on a Tuesday at noon and get back home at 12 noon on Wednesday your fee would be calculated like this?

22 hours @ $80/ hr or $1760 (This would not include the 2 hr charge while you are assessing the bike)?

Plus $320 for the 2 hr inspection/assessment

Plus the airfare, let's say $200

Plus the cost of the rental car, maybe $45 for a 24 hr rental (varies by location)

Plus $300 per diem

For the grand total of $2620 for the trip?

I guess it would beat buying a lemon.

Loren
Yep, but I would probably save him at least another $2500.00 when he has a list of 50 items to negotiate with. Dealers have larceny in the heart... they HATE IT when an appraiser shows up. I'm only an "interested buyer" (with a digital compression tester and overalls in my suitcase ) but will represent the real buyer for an additional 5% of the negotiated final sales price at closing and arrange for shipping on the spot. Power of attorney is a wonderful thing. The price for this trike is absolutely insane considering the year and mileage. If it was almost new, minty and with 5K miles he might be in the ballpark.

I'm hardly worth it for a trike worth $10K, but for airplanes and exotics I'm a bargain.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:59 am

Now THAT makes sense! When I read your response I was struggling with the economy on this particular item. An extended warranty would set most "incidentals" to right on a deal like this one. You know, the "little stuff" like clutches etc.

BTW do you know whether the trikes are harder on clutches than the "bi"kes?

Loren

Quote:
Yep, but I would probably save him at least another $2500.00 when he has a list of 50 items to negotiate with. Dealers have larceny in the heart... they HATE IT when an appraiser shows up. I'm only an "interested buyer" (with a digital compression tester and overalls in my suitcase ) but will represent the real buyer for an additional 5% of the negotiated final sales price at closing and arrange for shipping on the spot. Power of attorney is a wonderful thing. The price for this trike is absolutely insane considering the year and mileage. If it was almost new, minty and with 5K miles he might be in the ballpark.

I'm hardly worth it for a trike worth $10K, but for airplanes and exotics I'm a bargain.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:01 am

At least now I know what mine would look like triked.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Now THAT makes sense! When I read your response I was struggling with the economy on this particular item. An extended warranty would set most "incidentals" to right on a deal like this one. You know, the "little stuff" like clutches etc. They offer huge commissions so dealerships - and even the cashier at your local Walmart - push them hard. They prey on fear.

BTW do you know whether the trikes are harder on clutches than the "bi"kes?

Loren
Just TRY to collect from those extended warranty companies on a high ticket repair - they'll fight you tooth and nail - and they usually won't write a new policy - and especially on a modified bike - this old. There may be a couple of good ones out there but most of them are not the most honorable businesses. Most have tricky coverage terms, lots of fine print and a high percentage of bankruptcies.

I would expect the clutch to wear faster since there is more weight - but I would doubt if failures would occur any more often. I'm still convinced the seal failures are due to poor maintenance - ie. neglecting to change the fluid and especially right after break in.

I always do several fluid changes (way above what the manufacturer says to do) within the first several thousand miles whenever I get a new vehicle - this is when all of the appreciable wear occurs - and over kill here is dirt cheap.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in