03 LT Radio Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:27 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwood, MN, United States
Posts: 22
03 LT Radio Problem

Just purchased a 03 KT with low miles. While riding the radio intermittently, very briefly cuts out and then back to tuned station. Tried to tie the cutting out to bumps, over head wires, etc. but can't tie the cut-outs to anything. Sometimes the cut-outs are frequent and other times I can go miles without any. I tried to find a similar problem on this website but haven't had any luck. Anyone have any ideas...
Eric109 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:05 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric109
Just purchased a 03 KT with low miles. While riding the radio intermittently, very briefly cuts out and then back to tuned station. Tried to tie the cutting out to bumps, over head wires, etc. but can't tie the cut-outs to anything. Sometimes the cut-outs are frequent and other times I can go miles without any. I tried to find a similar problem on this website but haven't had any luck. Anyone have any ideas...
Simple check first. Since bike has low mileage, may have sat for a bit, so I would take the antenna off and clean up the contact point with a little elec spray cleaner. Then reinstall good and firm. If that's not it, then I'm clueless on the other possibilities - sorry. Good luck.
Dick is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 3:31 am
Senior Member
 
wa1200lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 2,745
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

If it turns out that the buttons on the control panel for your radio has leaked and corroded the radio circuit board then the worst case scenario is that you will get to buy a Jensen marine radio and replace the current unit. Not a bad deal all things considered!

You could replace the existing radio with another BMW radio but it seems that the Jensen is the way to go.

I wish you the best,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
wa1200lt is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 8:02 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bergen County, NJ, USA
Posts: 715
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

Stations fading in and out is most always a bad antenna connection somewhere. My CL radio's weak spot is the very end of the antenna wire. It just won't stay where it's supposed to be, and the center wire is the thinnest I've ever seen, thinner than a hair or a thread. Look in there first, IMO. Just when I think I have it all fixed because the radio reception is great in my driveway, I'll take it on a road test and 5 miles away it'll start acting up again. Very annoying.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
George_S is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:41 am
Senior Member
 
Razmataz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pesotum, Il, USA
Posts: 1,334
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

If the very tip of the antenna is broken off, is the antenna 'ruint'? Forgot to secure mine once when jacking it up on the lift. Duh.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
Razmataz is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 4:01 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bergen County, NJ, USA
Posts: 715
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
If the very tip of the antenna is broken off, is the antenna 'ruint'? Forgot to secure mine once when jacking it up on the lift. Duh.
Probably not.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
George_S is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 4:16 pm
Senior Member
 
BigGeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Princeton, MA, USA
Posts: 360
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

I too ride an '03. When I plug my cell into the recharge outlet near the rear top case and throw my cell into the trunk to charge while I ride hooked up to my Scala, the signal will cut out periodically. Are you charging something while riding?
BigGeo is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwood, MN, United States
Posts: 22
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeo
I too ride an '03. When I plug my cell into the recharge outlet near the rear top case and throw my cell into the trunk to charge while I ride hooked up to my Scala, the signal will cut out periodically. Are you charging something while riding?
I'm not charging anything. This morning on the ride to work the radio worked flawlessly for about 20 miles and then started cutting out periodically again. The bike had 3200 miles on it when I bought it so it sat quite a bit but always garaged so the buttons aren't cracked and I doubt that the bike ever saw any rain.
Eric109 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 5:04 am
Senior Member
 
wa1200lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 2,745
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

Raz, this has been a concern of mine. When I put my bike on the lift it gets a nice bend in the antenna when it hits the ceiling. Not a tight bend just a reasonable curve. Now, if I raise the bike and the garage door is open it really puts a wowie in it. I'm going to measure my antenna with a dial caliper and see if I can find a cylindrical sleeve with 2 set screws in it that is the right size. Then I'll cut off the antenna, put it back together with the coupler and remove it before I lift the bike. I plan to make the antenna cut about 12" from the base.

I'll post what I find out.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
If the very tip of the antenna is broken off, is the antenna 'ruint'? Forgot to secure mine once when jacking it up on the lift. Duh.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
wa1200lt is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 1:04 am
Senior Member
 
Razmataz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pesotum, Il, USA
Posts: 1,334
Re: 03 LT Radio Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Raz, this has been a concern of mine. When I put my bike on the lift it gets a nice bend in the antenna when it hits the ceiling. Not a tight bend just a reasonable curve. Now, if I raise the bike and the garage door is open it really puts a wowie in it. I'm going to measure my antenna with a dial caliper and see if I can find a cylindrical sleeve with 2 set screws in it that is the right size. Then I'll cut off the antenna, put it back together with the coupler and remove it before I lift the bike. I plan to make the antenna cut about 12" from the base.

I'll post what I find out.

Loren
What I usually do is bend it over and stick it through the luggage rack. Then put a small rubber tip coated pinch clamp on it to keep it from accidentally coming back out. Works well...just forgot once.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
Razmataz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frustrated with XM Radio Customer Service wcarter Satellite Radio 19 Jan 16th, 2019 9:24 am
An 'Other" wierd Radio problem K1200LT-TH K1200LT 5 Oct 14th, 2009 10:24 am
Radio problem erichotdoc Bike Talk 3 Sep 11th, 2009 11:21 pm
radio problem on 1200LTE couleekid Chit Chat 0 Jul 3rd, 2008 11:40 pm
XM Radio merging with Sirius Radio Tomakazie Satellite Radio 11 Feb 21st, 2007 7:12 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome