Synthetic oils? Back rest? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 6:03 am Thread Starter

Synthetic oils? Back rest?

OK, I know I have unleashed a firestorm. I have used synthetics in my past bikes and all of my cars. The performance has been well worth the investment. What is the conventional wisdom when it comes to the LT specifically.
As a side note, what is the best drivers back rest to add to the stock seat. I am 5'11" and weigh 180. The stock seat seems to work fine, but my lower back needs the additional support.

Blake

2004 K1200LT Titan Silver
1969 GTO ragtop, supercharged LS drivetrain.
2003 MB C230 coupe, supercharged commuter car.

The best advice I have ever been given: "Never pet a burning dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 6:23 am

Re: Synthetic oils? Back rest?

Alot of people switch to synthetic after the first 600 miles. There are alot of oil threads discussing the brand of oil. Here is what BMW says about their oil:

BMW oil ensures outstanding performance. Exceeds all requirements for API Classification SH. Meets all of the demanding requirements of precision BMW motorcycle engines. BMW oils stays in grade better under severe loads and provides outstanding wear, rust, corrosion and oxidation protection.
BMW Special Performance Motorcycle Engine Oil--BMW Approved Motorcycle Oil

As far as a back rest, I had one on my Venture Royal, and though I would miss it on my LT. I haven't, even on long trips this year.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #3 of 21 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 6:52 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Most of us here use synthetic oil & Gear oil. My dealer said to wait till after 18K miles to ensure the rings have set in.
BAKUP BACK REST
is what a lot of us use

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 21 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Most of us here use synthetic oil & Gear oil. My dealer said to wait till after 18K miles to ensure the rings have set in.
BAKUP BACK REST
is what a lot of us use
Most? Really? Has their been a poll? I am curious as I considered switching to synthetic as I have used synthetics in my cars and trucks for nearly 30 years. However, after reading a little about the BMW and its propensity to have seals leak, I decided to stick with dino oil. Also, the main advantages of synthetics are performance at the extremes of temperature or for extended change intervals. I don't run my LT in much hot weather here in PA and I also don't ride much below 32 where the synthetics really start to show an advantage. And my motorcycle comes up on the time limit for changes before it gets to more than about 6-7K miles and that is within the tolerances of a good dino oil.

I have wondered what propotion of LT owners really do use sythetic, but have no real idea.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Wink Re: Synthetic oils? Back rest?

Not saying if it is the right way to go Matt, but I would bet if you took a poll you would find a very large number of us (maybe even the majority!) have switched to synthetic oils!

Just saying,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Most? Really? Has their been a poll? I am curious as I considered switching to synthetic as I have used synthetics in my cars and trucks for nearly 30 years. However, after reading a little about the BMW and its propensity to have seals leak, I decided to stick with dino oil. Also, the main advantages of synthetics are performance at the extremes of temperature or for extended change intervals. I don't run my LT in much hot weather here in PA and I also don't ride much below 32 where the synthetics really start to show an advantage. And my motorcycle comes up on the time limit for changes before it gets to more than about 6-7K miles and that is within the tolerances of a good dino oil.

I have wondered what propotion of LT owners really do use sythetic, but have no real idea.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 1:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat
OK, I know I have unleashed a firestorm. I have used synthetics in my past bikes and all of my cars. The performance has been well worth the investment. What is the conventional wisdom when it comes to the LT specifically.
As a side note, what is the best drivers back rest to add to the stock seat. I am 5'11" and weigh 180. The stock seat seems to work fine, but my lower back needs the additional support.
I use synthetic in the engine, trans, and final drive and have had no problems; 60k on the odometer, synthetic since I bought her 42k ago. Same synthetic in the Ducati; no problems.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #7 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 6:21 am

Plus One for the... Back up Back Rest...

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #8 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 8:59 am

+1 Synthetics

+1 Bak Up Back rest

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #9 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
+1 Synthetics

+1 Bak Up Back rest
Same here.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:53 am

I used synthetic in everything until I had my outputseal go bad and leak oil onto the clutch plate ($1.98 seal causing an $1400.00 repair).
The tech told me that synthetic can do this to the seals (Specially BMW because they use such hard rubber). The Synthetics do not keep the gaskets and seals from drying out and cracking like the dyno does.

For what it worth I went 50/50 dyno and synth castrol after the repairs.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #11 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:14 am

Any correct type of oil will do so long as there continue to be no or few reports of oil related engine failure for the LT. I prefer peanut oil because it does not leave an aftertaste.
post #12 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
Any correct type of oil will do so long as there continue to be no or few reports of oil related engine failure for the LT. I prefer peanut oil because it does not leave an aftertaste.
Low in trans fats and cholesterol too !!!

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #13 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Having been involved in either the motorcycle or automobile business for many of my 63 years, I have found that the information gleaned from a mechanic or technician, especially when it comes to oil or tires, is usually no more accurate than the opinions found on oil or tire threads on this or other forums. Now if that isn't a run on sentence nothing is.

I am not denigrating mechanics by saying this. It is just that their opinions are as often based on hear-say or innate prejudice as the opinions of the rest of us.

In my life I have never heard of a verifiable engine failure or seal leakage issue that was the result of any oil specific reason if the oil was the proper viscosity and had been changed at proper intervals. There have been verifiable cases of sludge build up caused by auto manufacturers specifying extended change intervals (Mercedes, Toyota etc.) but nothing else to my knowledge.

1999 BMW K1200LT
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #14 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
Popeye uses Olive Oil.
post #15 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 5:33 pm

So, if I understand you correctly you're saying the synthetic oil/seal failure is another urban myth?

BTW I use Dino in the sump, and synthetic in the gear box/final drive. Too askeered to try synthetic in the engine due to being a subscriber to the urban myth. Castrol 4T 20W50 for me.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaaleyblue
Having been involved in either the motorcycle or automobile business for many of my 63 years, I have found that the information gleaned from a mechanic or technician, especially when it comes to oil or tires, is usually no more accurate than the opinions found on oil or tire threads on this or other forums. Now if that isn't a run on sentence nothing is.

I am not denigrating mechanics by saying this. It is just that their opinions are as often based on hear-say or innate prejudice as the opinions of the rest of us.

In my life I have never heard of a verifiable engine failure or seal leakage issue that was the result of any oil specific reason if the oil was the proper viscosity and had been changed at proper intervals. There have been verifiable cases of sludge build up caused by auto manufacturers specifying extended change intervals (Mercedes, Toyota etc.) but nothing else to my knowledge.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #16 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 6:01 pm

I use A**oil in all three motor, trans and rear drive 46,000 on my 06 LT.
post #17 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 6:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Not saying if it is the right way to go Matt, but I would bet if you took a poll you would find a very large number of us (maybe even the majority!) have switched to synthetic oils!

Just saying,

John
I'm not sure it is worth doing a poll, I was hoping maybe one had been done that I could look at. I've only been hanging around here for 3 years or so and hadn't seen one, but then I occasionally go a week or so in between visits and might have missed one.

Mostly, just a curiosity for me.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 21 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
So, if I understand you correctly you're saying the synthetic oil/seal failure is another urban myth?

BTW I use Dino in the sump, and synthetic in the gear box/final drive. Too askeered to try synthetic in the engine due to being a subscriber to the urban myth. Castrol 4T 20W50 for me.

Loren

+1 on the 4T. The price is right and I don't ride my LT in a way that would gain any value from synthetics. However, I use nothing but synthetics in my other vehicles. Having them spin over briskly when it is -20F is worth its weight in gold! If I rode the LT at below zero temps, I would probably use synthetic in it also and hope it didn't cause a seal issue.

I do suspect that sythetics are more prone to seal leakage, especially vehicles that were run for a fair time on dino oil. Most of my vehicles were bought new and changed to synthetic at the 5,000 mile mark, but two that I bought used and then changed to sythetic after 50K or so both developed signifiance oil leakage from several different seals and gaskets. May be coincidence, I certainly can't be sure, but it makes me wonder nonetheless.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 21 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 5:39 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. As mentioned, I have run the synthetics in most of my vehicles for years. I have seen significant benefit in some cases. Often noises in the drivetrain have magically disappeared. In some dyno testing we proved that the synthetic gear oil was worth 6 hp over dino oil in the transmission and rear axle of a brand new 06 Mustang GT.
I appreciate the feedback in regard to the backrest. Now I just need to make a decision and tell my wife she is buying me an early Christmas present.
My next question is about K&N air filters. Any real life data?

Blake

2004 K1200LT Titan Silver
1969 GTO ragtop, supercharged LS drivetrain.
2003 MB C230 coupe, supercharged commuter car.

The best advice I have ever been given: "Never pet a burning dog."
post #20 of 21 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 6:59 am

From the Mobil 1 website

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1.
Reality:
You can start using Mobil 1 in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

* Acura RDX
* Aston Martin
* All Bentley Vehicles
* All Cadillac Vehicles
* Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
* Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
* Chrysler 300C SRT-8
* Cobalt SS S/C Coupe
* Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8
* Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
* Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles
* Mercedes SLR
* Mitsubishi Evolution
* Pontiac Solstice GXP
* All Porsche Vehicles
* Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line
* Viper SRT-10

One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor. Watch our answer to this myth.

This myth along with the "leaking seals" should be dumped in trash with other urban legends.

My RT and current LT have had synthetic oils from the second oil change with nothing abnormal in either bike.

Are we to believe that a K1200LT is much different than a small BMW liquid cooled car engine?? My BMW auto mechanic says they're pretty darn similar.

Enjoy your ride.
post #21 of 21 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 11:16 am

I started to putting synthetic in a few year ago and the thing I noticed was the temperature appear to take longer to warm up. I haven't put in non-synthetic since so maybe its the same. If true, I'm assuming the engine isn't working as hard.

I was told on my CLC that I had to wait until 12k and I bought that as the bike took oil between changes until about 12k. The LT hasn't use any, so I might have gone earlier. No problems in ether.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in