Not sure if I'm pissed, but I guess I am really lucky - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Not sure if I'm pissed, but I guess I am really lucky

March of 09 I put the bike on a lift and started pulling it apart. It was at 50k miles and time for a bunch of preventative maintenance, plus I wanted a colour change.

Final drive rebuild, shifter rebuild, updated throttle cables, all fluids, major additions to the entertainment system including USB and 3.5mm jacks built into the radio, and tonnes of other little fixes/updates.

Tonight was the first fully dressed test ride. Have ridden it several times over the last month or so, naked. 22 miles in, I stopped for gas. All was working well, so as I left the gas station, I nailed it hard.

I'll be damned if the clutch didn't start slipping when I hit second. I thought I'd missed the shift at first, and hit the shifter again. Still slipping. Was 0.5 miles from home, so nailed it all the way through 5th. Slipping all the way.....

Tomorrow, I get to pull it all apart again. Pissed because when I parked the bike, it had ZERO issue with the clutch. Lucky, because 1 week from tomorrow, I'm heading on a 4200 mile round trip and it would have really sucked to lose the clutch 20hrs into it....

Brett Anderson

Australian by birth, American by choice!

If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of The United States of America, and to the Republic which it defines.

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 9:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Not sure if I'm pissed, but I guess I am really lucky

Typically the slip first shows up in 5th at around 3000 rpm when you hit the gas and it usually only slips once. Now you can force a slip in the lower gears even on a good clutch if you nail it before the clutch is fully engaged. Check her one more time. Should pull strong after you fully engage clutch in all gears until you get to 5th.
You may have just cooked it a bit when you nailed hard and over heated it causing the continued slipping.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You may have just cooked it a bit when you nailed hard and over heated it causing the continued slipping.
You have a valid point. I'll try it out in the morning, on the way to my shop.

Of course, if there's even a hint, I'm gonna change it. Too much to risk on a long, time sensitive, trip.

Thanks for the tip!

Brett Anderson

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of The United States of America, and to the Republic which it defines.

VOTE 2nd Amendment!

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 9:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

My 05 started slipping last year in 5th on my way back from Texas. I made four more trips out of state before I finally replaced the clutch three months later. Like I said she would only slip in 5th when I poured on the coals. Clutch plate was very near the wear limit when I pulled it out. Also had slight oil contamination from a leaking o-ring on the engine output shaft. Tranny seals were good.

Gently get her up through the gears to 3-3500 rpm in 5th and then open the throttle hard - if you really do have a clutch issue you will see it there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 2:40 am

Sorry to hear about your clutch. If I were you I would call Hoss! If he can change an engine out on a Saturday/Sunday he should be able to swap out your clutch in about 20 minutes!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57328

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 3:32 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Sorry to hear about your clutch. If I were you I would call Hoss! If he can change an engine out on a Saturday/Sunday he should be able to swap out your clutch in about 20 minutes!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57328

Loren

Not quite that good yet... Nascar pit crews still have an edge over me...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:04 pm

I'm tellin' ya Hoss your time line for the project was impressive! I'm glad you took pictures and posted them. Now I'm not sayin we wouldn't have believed you without the pics but that is truly an incredible amount of work to accomplish in such a hard time. Very very impressive!

I wish that I lived close enough to you to assist/observe in a full tear down post mortem on the old engine. Just one time I would love to tear one of these engines down to the last nut. Preferably not on my own engine!

Once again Hoss, very impressive. I would bet there aren't many out here who could do the work in less than a week!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Not quite that good yet... Nascar pit crews still have an edge over me...

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #8 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 7:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
My 05 started slipping last year in 5th on my way back from Texas. I made four more trips out of state before I finally replaced the clutch three months later. Like I said she would only slip in 5th when I poured on the coals. Clutch plate was very near the wear limit when I pulled it out. Also had slight oil contamination from a leaking o-ring on the engine output shaft. Tranny seals were good.

Gently get her up through the gears to 3-3500 rpm in 5th and then open the throttle hard - if you really do have a clutch issue you will see it there.
How many miles did you have on it? i haven't heard of many clutch plates actually wearing out and am wondering what a typical mileage is for this. It seems most get well oiled long before they wear out.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Check her one more time. Should pull strong after you fully engage clutch in all gears until you get to 5th.
Thanks John. 2 days of trying now and no slip. Must've just been driver error.....

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Now that's a HUGE whew! Congrats and have a great trip!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretta
Thanks John. 2 days of trying now and no slip. Must've just been driver error.....

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Now that's a HUGE whew! Congrats and have a great trip!

Loren
Looking forward to it Loren. Did 100+ miles in the rain tonight, shaking it down. Got some tweaks to do to the electronics and might throw a set of lights on it 'cause the xenon upgrade was not enough for country roads, but overall, she behaved well enough.

Was nice to see that my rain gear is still waterproof. Got some weird looks pulling into the local supermarket to pick up some dinner stuff.....

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:55 pm

I hear ya on the lighting issue. I work night shift and if I only have one or two nights off in a row I stay on nights instead of converting over to day shift sleep patterns. This means I often ride in the middle of the night. While the xenon upgrade makes a huge difference it doesn't light to the right side(deer, elk, racoons,etc.) Or far enogh down the road to the left. For about $100 I bought a set of Hella FF50's and mounted them below the mirrors on long bolts. Pardon the pun but the difference isd liker night and day! I wired them through a relay triggered by the high beam circuit. Took less than 2 hours. Big difference!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretta
Looking forward to it Loren. Did 100+ miles in the rain tonight, shaking it down. Got some tweaks to do to the electronics and might throw a set of lights on it 'cause the xenon upgrade was not enough for country roads, but overall, she behaved well enough.

Was nice to see that my rain gear is still waterproof. Got some weird looks pulling into the local supermarket to pick up some dinner stuff.....

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #13 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I bought a set of Hella FF50's and mounted them below the mirrors on long bolts.

Loren
I'll have to look into that, but will need somewhere else to put them, as the mirrors now hold the laser jammers.

Brett Anderson

VOTE 2nd Amendment!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in