Does it count if it really doesn't touch the ground? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

Does it count if it really doesn't touch the ground?

Last week the wife, Ol' What's Her Name, and I went on an 8 day tour from Tennessee up through New England and back. The next to last day of our trip we were enjoying some of Virginia's best scenery on some back roads through the Shenandoah valley when we felt what seemed to be either something falling off the bike or trailer, or something hit the bike/trailer. The road was very hilly and curvy so I had to ride a bit further to find a safe place to stop and investigate. We descended a very steep hill with a gravel driveway at the bottom. The driveway "appeared" to be level so I chose that as my pull off. I slowed the LT to a safe speed for the gravel and pulled off the pavement. As my speed dropped below 3 mph, the ABS kicked off (as it is supposed to do) and the front wheel locked up instantly and the bike went down without warning. I tried in valiantly to hold it up but was losing the battle. I had the wife get off the bike and she did her best to keep it off the ground until I could dismount and put it back up on it's feet. The two of us did get the bike back on its feet but not without a great deal of straining and grunting. Having to pick it up in the loose gravel and uphill with the trailer attached wasn't helping anything to say the least.

The after action report will state that the "level" driveway was an optical illusion due to the steepness of the hill we just descended. The driveway was much more downhill than I would have picked under similar circumstances. Second, I should have paid more attention to the condition of the driveway. What appeared to be gravel was actually more sand and fine rock than your average run of the mill gravel driveway. While the tip-over bar and pannier didn't touch the ground, the J-Peg on the left side did make contact with the ground and severely bent the new bolts I just put on prior to leaving for the trip. So, battle damage was one bent J-Peg and more sore and strained muscles than I can count.

The good news is now that Ol' What's Her Name knows how heavy the LT really is, she is much more receptive to the new GTL which is allegedly much lighter. At least she's now authorized a look-see and test drive when they come out.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Re: Does it count if it really doesn't touch the ground?

Hmmmmm - Cliff Notes for anyone who needs to convince pillion Ol' What's Her Name that a GTL would be a great substitute for the LT!!!

Glad you survived with just strains and groans, Greg - experience for the memory bank!
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Great strategy........wish I'd a' thought of it............in the short coarse, I'm glad you'r all OK...........on the other hand.........glad you get the kitchen pass to go check out the GTL...........

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 6:37 pm

I just toured Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons NP, Mount Rainier NP, Crater Lake NP, Redwoods NP, and both North and South Teddy Roosevelt NP and had many close calls just like yours on pulloffs. Luckily I didn't drop the bike but it scared the heck out of me a couple times.

The parks have used a lot of the stimulus monies on improving the roads in many areas. While doing this in many places, on pulloffs that are not paved, they have added a lot of gravel which at this point is not compacted much. My ABS cut off the brakes a number of times on me and then grabbed quickly about causing me to drop the bike on, I would guess, about a half dozen occasions.

I'll have to admit that I will have to take much of the blame. Probably pulled into the overlooks too fast in most occasions. But do feel the ABS is too sensitive.

I from time to time, also lose my brakes, momentarily, when the bike jumps something in the road while I am braking. The bikes acts as if you lose all braking. Really gets my attention at times. The ABS just seems to sensitive to me. I never had this sensation on other vehicles I have owned.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Dick, Thanks for the kudos, but I'm not sure I really want to go through the humiliation of showing OWHN that I'm not completely invincible.

Steve, I know what you're talking about with the ABS. My RT has the servoed brakes and I experience the same issues as you describe. However, with the 00 LT, the brakes are a generation older and don't give me the same twitchiness as the 02 and later brakes. Still though, when you roll into sand and fine rock and the ABS quits, it only takes milliseconds for the front wheel to lock and your ride is over. Thankfully we were going less than 3 mph. On the other hand, after 8 days on the road and 2897 miles, just 11 miles from our house, some bozo in a station wagon coming the opposite direction decides to turn left right in front of us. That's one of those times where the ABS was worth every penny and every ounce of negative traits. I was able to pull the clutch, and emergency stop with the both front and rear brakes without fear of losing control. I do remember hearing tires screeching and I'm sure they were mine. Even with ABS, the tires will still chirp as they decelerate. It saved me and my wife from impact and serious injury. God bless BMW and their ABS brakes. He and the German engineers saved us.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

post #6 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 3:05 am

Greg, so what hit or fell off the bike that caused you to pull over in the first place?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:39 am

I have to say that since it didn't go all the way down on the bumpers....it was a save & not a drop.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 6:14 pm

First, did you find what fell off? Second your question, If you call it a drop you may never drop it again if you don't call it a drop you will drop it sometime in the future. Either you have dropped it or you will drop it. Sorry but that's just the way it works. Glad nothing serious happened to you or OWHN.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
I have to say that since it didn't go all the way down on the bumpers....it was a save & not a drop.
I have to agree with Razmataz--but you are a very proud person! To what lengths you and ol whats her name will go to...just to be able to brag you didn't drop her...sheeeesh.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #10 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Greg, so what hit or fell off the bike that caused you to pull over in the first place?

Loren
Loren, I never did find or see anything. I don't know if it was some gravel off the tire or what but it sure sounded like something substantial. Everything is still on the bike and trailer and I haven't heard or seen anything else suspicious. Guess it was just a funny noise designed to test my physical stamina...and it is lacking in this case.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
I have to agree with Razmataz--but you are a very proud person! To what lengths you and ol whats her name will go to...just to be able to brag you didn't drop her...sheeeesh.
Oh, be not dismayed! I HAVE dropped it, or rather it dropped me. The first time I ever dropped a road bike was the LT at an intersection when a car was turning and as I started to pull out, the car behind the turning car came blasting around the turning car causing me to hit the brakes hard. This in turn put me down faster that I could say "crap!" So, I'm not trying to save myself from a drop as I've already suffered that anguish. Fortunately, when I dropped the bike the first time it was during heavy traffic so it didn't take long for an irritated motorist to come to my aid. As I said, the only good thing about this drop/near drop is that OWHN found out how heavy the LT is and is not opposed now to at least looking at the new GTL. If we get one it will be great. If we decide not to, we'll continue to enjoy the LT. It is a great bike even with its faults.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

post #12 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
While the tip-over bar and pannier didn't touch the ground, the J-Peg on the left side did make contact with the ground and severely bent the new bolts I just put on prior to leaving for the trip. So, battle damage was one bent J=Peg.
I have learned to retract the J-Pegs whenever slowing to stop to avoid bent bolts.
Many ways to drop an LT but hooking your pant leg on the J-Peg as you stop has got to be the funniest to watch.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #13 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Not that proud. Dropped her on the maiden ride home & busted the left mirror. Dropped her 2 more times in the 1st three months I owned it. No damage.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in