fuel hoses - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 10:58 am Thread Starter

fuel hoses

I seem to have developed a leak on the inboard (pressurized) fuel hose where it meets the metal pipe coming out of the tank. The crimped fitting is loose enough for me to be able to rotate it a bit when pushed with a screwdriver. It looks a bit tight for room and I was wondering if its possible to get the crimped hose clamp off and fasten a new one without removing the tank, anyone done this before? ( how do you remove the crimped clamps?)

Also, if I manage to wiggle the hose off the metal gas line, is it going to squirt gas everywhere since it is pressurized? Comments would be appreciated. I just orderred new metal disconnects to replace the plastic ones but they don't appear to be leaking at this time.

thanks

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 12:12 pm

Re: fuel hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible
I seem to have developed a leak on the inboard (pressurized) fuel hose where it meets the metal pipe coming out of the tank. The crimped fitting is loose enough for me to be able to rotate it a bit when pushed with a screwdriver. It looks a bit tight for room and I was wondering if its possible to get the crimped hose clamp off and fasten a new one without removing the tank, anyone done this before? ( how do you remove the crimped clamps?)

Also, if I manage to wiggle the hose off the metal gas line, is it going to squirt gas everywhere since it is pressurized? Comments would be appreciated. I just orderred new metal disconnects to replace the plastic ones but they don't appear to be leaking at this time.

thanks

Ron
Ron,

First of all - YES, gas will come pouring out of the feed line off the tank. Have a cork plug, a drain line, or a catch basin ready to go if you wiggle that line off.

If you can wiggle that off, it would be easier for you to get the old crimp off. Once off, you may need to use a side cutter or something like that to loosen the crimping so you can slide it off the line. I found it near impossible to cut those things!

Then just get a new stainless clamp, run it on the line first, then put the line back on the tank outlet and tighten the new clamp

That should do it!

Steve

come and visit anytime ... Niagara Falls is beautiful; and you can see the mist from my house!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Romans 6:23 "the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

current rides:
2003 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW K1200LT
2 - 1986 Yamaha Fazers

previous rides:
yamaha rd400; suzuki gs500; honda hurricane; 3 yamaha v-maxes; 3 yamaha fazers; kawasaki voyager; honda goldwing; honda nx650; kawasaki gpz550; yamaha seca 550; honda interceptor 500; honda cb900, kawasaki vulcan nomad 1500
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Re: fuel hoses

You could do it without removing the line.. A little leakage will be inevitable..

I have cut the crimp on bands with a substantial set of electricians pliers..But, Once things get crooked then it's a fight to get the thing off..You could also use a good set of needle nose pliers and loosen the crimp enough to slide the band off...

If you can pull the line off I'd just get a gas can and a piece of hose to use to drain the gas into the can...

Then you can fix it properly and at your leisure..

JOhn

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in