Electrical short? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 1:41 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brandon, MS, USA
Posts: 8
Electrical short?

I went out to ride and found a low battery when trying to start. I heard the fuel pump flutter then nothing. I may or may not have hit the starter switch.

I decided to jump start it from my car and when i connected the cable to the car battery it drew an arc like a welder. I then took the battery out and put it on a charger. While it was charging I went back to test. I found the article on shorted starter relay which sounded good but when I went ahead and turned on the ignition switch and hooked up the jumper it arced again but no turning engine, no lights nothing. I disconnected after 1 second and went back to the book. Help! All suggestions welcome.

BIG TIME WOOPS. The car I was using for a boost had a red wire ground and black positive. How much damage do you think I have done. I am on my way to purchase a new battery.

Jim J

2001 BMW LT
2007 Kawasaki 900 LT

Last edited by JJensen8; Sep 25th, 2010 at 3:13 pm. Reason: additional information
JJensen8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 3:45 pm
Senior Member
 
cfell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Round Rock, TX, USA
Posts: 7,794
Re: Electrical short?

Well, hopefully replacing the batterry will be sufficient. When you connect new, connect the negative cable then touch positive first to make sure there is no "short".

...............
J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cfell is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 5:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,098
Re: Electrical short?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJensen8
I went out to ride and found a low battery when trying to start. I heard the fuel pump flutter then nothing. I may or may not have hit the starter switch.

I decided to jump start it from my car and when i connected the cable to the car battery it drew an arc like a welder. I then took the battery out and put it on a charger. While it was charging I went back to test. I found the article on shorted starter relay which sounded good but when I went ahead and turned on the ignition switch and hooked up the jumper it arced again but no turning engine, no lights nothing. I disconnected after 1 second and went back to the book. Help! All suggestions welcome.

BIG TIME WOOPS. The car I was using for a boost had a red wire ground and black positive. How much damage do you think I have done. I am on my way to purchase a new battery.

Jim J
What kind of car is that? I want to make sure I never buy one. How stupid to not follow a long standing convention for voltage polarity.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,226
Re: Electrical short?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
What kind of car is that? I want to make sure I never buy one. How stupid to not follow a long standing convention for voltage polarity.


My 75 MGB had a long black cable that went from the battery + (behind the seat) to the starter and a short red cable to ground, but it was a negative ground model. Just have to be careful.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brandon, MS, USA
Posts: 8
Re: Electrical short?

It was a 2002 Mazda 626

2001 BMW LT
2007 Kawasaki 900 LT
JJensen8 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 8:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,226
Re: Electrical short?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Well, hopefully replacing the batterry will be sufficient. When you connect new, connect the negative cable then touch positive first to make sure there is no "short".
I prefer to connect up the + side then touch the ground side last. Less chance of inadvertent contact with ground when connecting up the + side.

As far as damage to the LT goes - you should be fine. there have been several cases of reverse hook ups here and no real harm was done. The bike does draw a considerable arc when first connecting the battery so touch it repeatedly when you get the new battery in to make sure there is no short. The arcs will get smaller with time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 7:40 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,098
Re: Electrical short?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJensen8
It was a 2002 Mazda 626
I can understand the MG as the Brits never did quite get a hand on electricity, but Mazda certainly should know better!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Side Stand Short! R60us K1200/1300GT (The Next Generation) 5 Sep 9th, 2009 6:24 pm
Electrical short WarrenK1200 Batteries, Chargers, & Electrical 1 May 23rd, 2009 9:11 pm
Electrical Short KMC1 K1200LT 2 Aug 19th, 2008 5:45 am
GPS causing complete electrical shutdown BMWCharlie GPS 6 Jun 10th, 2008 3:21 pm
Bussed Electrical System? 2wheeljunkie Batteries, Chargers, & Electrical 8 May 12th, 2008 6:04 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome