My new '09LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

My new '09LT

New to the forum.

I just sold my Ducati ST two weeks ago. Then test drove a bunch of bikes. My wife wants to ride 2 up so we looked at the BMW ST and LT. After our dealer let us borrow his bike for a long weekend we decided the LT was the route.

So far have only got to ride it home. Still working to break it in properly this weekend and can't wait.

For long trips what is considered needed vs un-needed? I am getting a GPS, considering a BMW CB, lights on the forks....What else? Gear?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:40 pm

Re: My new '09LT

Welcome aboard the crazy train!

There are options to the bmw intercom... Consider before buying. If you want full integration it mite be easiest but expensive choice.. If money is easy then get it.

Gear.. Yeah AllTheGeatAllTheTime. ATGATT

Good textiles that fit your riding.. Lots choices. Go to dealer and try on.. Walk around store trying what u like...

It I'd impossible to spell it all out... Tell ud about yourself and riding experience...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 8:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi and welcome.

For me an LD ride wouldn't happen without a backrest, cramp buster (from Rude Dog Leather) and mic-o-pegs, but I'm old and don't put up with a lot of uncomfort.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 2:06 pm

For long trips, everybodies needs are going to be slightly different, My wife for example found out that she didn't need as many different pairs of shoes as she thought. I ALWAYS bring my credit card! I have a light weight cover for the bike I bring. I bought an inexpensive garmin GPS that suction cups to the stingray cover, with a power outlet under the seat to plug into...maybe $150 max, I did go to walmart and buy a tire repair kit, with a mini pump and keep it in with my CD changer, Why let a flat spoil your trip? I personally cannot go on any long ride without a cup holder for water, or maybe a Frappe....I firmly beleive that for the success of any long trip......DON'T FORGET THE LT!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Welcome aboard, I am sure you and your wife will enjoy the LT. My wife would not ride with me on the RT, but I can hardly get away for a solo ride now with the LT. Must be a big change going from the Duc !

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Take a shorter trip first to find out what you need for a distance.

For me, my seat, back rest and windshield are the most important. (GPS if within USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers28
New to the forum.

I just sold my Ducati ST two weeks ago. Then test drove a bunch of bikes. My wife wants to ride 2 up so we looked at the BMW ST and LT. After our dealer let us borrow his bike for a long weekend we decided the LT was the route.

So far have only got to ride it home. Still working to break it in properly this weekend and can't wait.

For long trips what is considered needed vs un-needed? I am getting a GPS, considering a BMW CB, lights on the forks....What else? Gear?
Thanks

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Last edited by MattKas; Sep 24th, 2010 at 3:52 pm. Reason: bach rest
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Heated gear is great to have. Never know when you'll need it.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #8 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 6:42 pm

Thumbs up Re: My new '09LT

A radar detector!!!!! Saved my bacon many a time...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Credit card, maps (for the bigger picture), GPS for the next few turns, a small tank bag is nice to put your sunglasses, ipod, phone chargers, etc. and, as mentioned, a tire repair kit. A phone with internet access is a great tool too. I once got stranded on my bike many miles from civilization with a non-working radio. A quick post to this forum led me to the bad fuse and all was right with the world once again.

Great bike, great riding machine, excellent protection from the elements, and enough room to be comfortable. An excellent combination.

Enjoy the ride!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
A radar detector!!!!! Saved my bacon many a time...

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 11:05 pm

The aftermarket seat on my LT is the best addition for my money. The stock seat is ok but it doesn't hold up too well for long rides. My 'Rich's' custom seat ROCKS!! You don't really notice the difference the first hour but after that it is heaven.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 7:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Regarding maps, I like Rand McNally "easy to fold" state maps. They're laminated and really hold up.

I like being able to see a bigger picture when I'm stopped than looking at the GPS.

The only problem is if you're going through many states would be having a bunch to bring along but they do fold up nice and don't weigh much.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies. I like the map idea, never really thought about it.
I have been riding for about 18 years-Yamaha Radian, Cagiva, BMW GSA and Ducati ST3. The LT will be a welcome edition. We liked the Duc for quick trips but anything over an hour was pain in the back- back and leg surgery for me. Because of that I really wanted a bike that was comfortable for me but also when she rides along with me. She loves not sitting on an angle resting on my back

I haven't decided on new riding gear yet. I like the pricey BMW gear but probably won't go that route again.

BMW included the Comm system with my purchase so all I need is the helmet stuff. BMW or J&M?

Thanks

2009 BMW LT
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 4:45 am

When I go to the BMW dealership and look at the BMW branded riding gear I get the drizzles! But man that stuff is EXPENSIVE! I bought Olympia mesh gear with liners X 2 when I bought my bike. I bought it at the dealership where I bought my bike and the 2 sets were $900 and change, it seems like I paid about $950. I like the gear, works well for us. The mesh gear is particularly good in the summer months. I bought the silver gray stuff but looking back I maybe should have chosen the same suits in high vis green. When I walk into the hospital with my gear on the call me 'Lortron' cuz it looks like I'm wearing a space suit..... or so they say.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers28
Thanks everyone for the replies. I like the map idea, never really thought about it.
I have been riding for about 18 years-Yamaha Radian, Cagiva, BMW GSA and Ducati ST3. The LT will be a welcome edition. We liked the Duc for quick trips but anything over an hour was pain in the back- back and leg surgery for me. Because of that I really wanted a bike that was comfortable for me but also when she rides along with me. She loves not sitting on an angle resting on my back

I haven't decided on new riding gear yet. I like the pricey BMW gear but probably won't go that route again.

BMW included the Comm system with my purchase so all I need is the helmet stuff. BMW or J&M?

Thanks

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in