My new Baby - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

My new Baby

Got my new 2009 LT last week. It was still crated when I went to see it. The day I rode it home the wind was very high. I had trouble controlling the bike. I had to take the back roads and at one time I had to pull over to rest because I had been fighting it so much. I was ready to take it back and demand my money. I called the dealer but they were already gone for the day. I never read where anyone complained about the problem so I started looking for information on the internet. The first post I read, a guy was talking about the same problem and he said he checked suspension adjustment under the seat and it was set very high. He cranked it all the down and it was like magic. The bike handled totally different. I made the same adjustment and got back on it and couldn't believe how much difference that made. Now I'm very happy with my new girl. I'm amazed at how nimble it is for such a large bike and how easy it is to handle. I was concerned about it being so top heavy but I'm yet to notice it when I stop. My wife picked up her 2010 F800ST the next day and she is very happy with it. I was riding a Honda VTX 1300 and she had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 SE. After riding the LT, I may never even sit on another cruiser. We will spend the next few months getting used to the bikes then we are planning some distance trips in the spring, summer and fall next year. I can't wait to get out on the open road or the winding back country roads. i think we picked the right bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 8:03 pm

Re: My new Baby

I think ya did choose well... Welcome aboard!

As for the breeze... the LT does offer a "sail" when the wind hits from the side... Second, you just started riding the bike... perfectly understandable for you to be "tense"... Third, you just spent a lot of money.. you should enjoy that =)

Ride on, y'all!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 8:39 pm

You have chosen wisely.

(Howard will follow up with a pic of the knight from last crusade)

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 9:27 pm

Yes ..You have chosen wisely
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:44 pm

Congratulations, Jerome.

Oh yeah - I almost forgot:

You have, indeed... chosen wisely.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:06 pm

Welcome aboard Jerome. I know you will love your LT more every day. Try lowering the windshield a bit, that helps sometimes in high wind.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:30 am

I live in Southwest Washington State, just across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. Some of my favorite rides are in the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area. Beautiful views but the wind she does blow. Hard and often! I have had times when I literally could not get off the bike. It would have instantly been blown over. The only solution was to keep riding.

Another time I was parked between two vehicles and backed the bike up using reverse gear. As soon as the top case got past the wind shadow of the upwind parked pick-up it was all over. Down she went. No holding her up!

No damage but I was sure thankful that I knew how to pick her up by myself. Watch the youtube video. Actually surprisingly easy to pick up.

Enjoy your new ride!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 5:27 am

Congratulations and enjoy your new ride.
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 7:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new purchase & welcome.
The first thing that comes to mind about windy conditions is to not tense up and keep a loose hold on the hand grips. Wind on your shoulders will cause you to make slight steering adjustments you don't want. Another way to combat a direct wind coming from the side is to have the lower wing, on the windward side, in the out position and the other wing pushed in against the tupperware. Seems to help, if only in my mind, but I do it.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 7:04 am

Grats on the new ride!!

Just wait until you get back on a cruiser you're really gonna wonder what's wrong

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:08 pm

After awhile you will hardly notice the wind (compared to the first time you hit wind on your new LT).

+1 on the riding a cruiser. I jumped on a friends cruiser a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know where to put my feet, it was like I didn't know how to turn.... and I never realized the roads were so rough! I went running back to my LT

Mark

'02 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in