Another newbie LT owner with a few questions.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Another newbie LT owner with a few questions....

Hello all!

I just bought an '05 LT last week, it was sort of a spontaneous purchase so quite frankly I'm somewhat paranoid learning about all of the clutch, slave cylinder, etc... issues with this model, especially this yr seems to be greatly affected.

I never realized a clutch job cost as much as it does and it seems as if the majority of people who have taken on this great task on this forum regretted doing so......yikes!

So I have a few questions if yall don't mind :

- My clutch seems to engage awfully high, is this normal or should I be concerned (not getting any slipping as of yet)?

- I got the gist of the 'preventative care' suggestions by making time to get that weep hole mod completed asap, can someone just clarify for me is it the actual slave cylinder that fails or the seal, if known?

- Should the clutch need replacing, what brand are the majority of you going with?
Of all the threads I pulled up just one thread made mention of a specific brand, most of you staying with OEM?

- Any other suggestions/opinions/modifications/improvements or must have items would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Lastly, the guy I purchased this bike from had a brand new Cee Bailey's windscreen on order which he included with the sale (nice!) but I regret putting it on now cuz it's still too low IMHO. The w/s that was on there was 17" long, not knowing what the standard w/s is I assumed the 20" he had ordered would be a great improvement, well, at 6' it's not really. The top of the screen is at my line of sight which is annoying to me, what are you 6'ers using out there?

Also if anyone out there happens to prefer the 20" and has a new or like new 22+" w/s is interested in trading let me know!

Thanks in advance!

2005 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 8:32 pm

Re: Another newbie LT owner with a few questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO
Hello all!

I just bought an '05 LT last week, it was sort of a spontaneous purchase so quite frankly I'm somewhat paranoid learning about all of the clutch, slave cylinder, etc... issues with this model, especially this yr seems to be greatly affected.

I never realized a clutch job cost as much as it does and it seems as if the majority of people who have taken on this great task on this forum regretted doing so......yikes!

- My clutch seems to engage awfully high, is this normal or should I be concerned (not getting any slipping as of yet)?

- I got the gist of the 'preventative care' suggestions by making time to get that weep hole mod completed asap, can someone just clarify for me is it the actual slave cylinder that fails or the seal, if known?

- Should the clutch need replacing, what brand are the majority of you going with?
Of all the threads I pulled up just one thread made mention of a specific brand, most of you staying with OEM?

- Any other suggestions/opinions/modifications/improvements or must have items would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Lastly, the guy I purchased this bike from had a brand new Cee Bailey's windscreen on order which he included with the sale (nice!) but I regret putting it on now cuz it's still too low IMHO. The w/s that was on there was 17" long, not knowing what the standard w/s is I assumed the 20" he had ordered would be a great improvement, well, at 6' it's not really. The top of the screen is at my line of sight which is annoying to me, what are you 6'ers using out there?

Also if anyone out there happens to prefer the 20" and has a new or like new 22+" w/s is interested in trading let me know!

Thanks in advance!
do you want to look over or though the windshield?
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 8:40 pm

Welcome to the forum....Not for anything, but your post has a bit of a frantic tone to it, more than likely due to reading all the posts about problems with the LT. I thought you might want to consider that most LT's out there are running just fine, with tens or hundreds of thousands of miles on them. One of the aspects of this forum is to be able to get help with problems, so most of the posts are about problems that people have. Your clutch is hydraulic, and as far as I know, it shouldn't need adjusting. How many miles are on your bike? Did you get all the service records with the bike? If not you should be able to go to the dealer and they keep computer records for every bike. One of the members here aptly coined a phrase, "Ride it like you stole it!" It really says it all for me, I keep my fluids up, change them when necessary, keep air in my tires, and just ride the piss out of it, and don't fret the "what ifs".

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
do you want to look over or though the windshield?
Is that a trick question?
I tried the down position and wasn't too crazy about all the wind noise and turbulence so yea I'm thinking through the w/s would be optimal. No sarcasm meant here but isn't that the point or am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
Welcome to the forum....Not for anything, but your post has a bit of a frantic tone to it
thanks and yes, yes it does! lol

Unfortunately, I have this pessimist/paranoid side of me that if something can go wrong it probably will so when I saw all the clutch issues it did perk up my senses a bit. I am grateful tho that you clarified for me that many bikes do exist without issues, I was beginning to think I bought a possible lemon. lol!

The bike had 32,8XX on the clock when I bought her and I just turned her over to 33k yesterday. Unfortunately no, I didn't get any paperwork with the bike so thanks for the heads up about going to a dealer and having them look up the history, will try to do that tomorrow.

I do have another question, is it possible to see if the weep hole mod was done by just getting underneath there or is the view obstructed?

2005 K1200LT
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:13 pm

Frank,

Don't stress about this bike. It's one of the best out there. I have an 03 and it just flipped over to 126,000 miles. The only thing that I've done to it is change the oil and fluids when needed, new battery last year, new tires when needed, and a few sets of brake pads. This bike just keeps running and running.

When I first joined this site, I also became very concerned about dependability, but quickly realized that people are asking questions for problems that they have. Remember, any machine will break down at some point no matter what brand. Theres tons of good info and the population on this site is very helpful.

Enjoy your new purchase and if it breaks just fix it. It's a lot more dependable then any other bike that I've owned. I feel that it just does not get any better then the BMW K1200LT.....

Take care,

gary

2009 K1300GT Blue
2003 K1200LT Titan Silver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Suzuki DRZ 250 off road
1979 Honda CBX 1000 (6 cyl) Sounds like a Jet...
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:27 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Get to know the big girl,and don't tease her.
Haven't had anything that really torqed me..
Ok I let the battery get low on juice ...HAd to get a New one.odyssey best bang for my buck,
Do I think about some of those things? Used to when I went on a trip. Makes good sense to have some things in the trunk, air compressor.. Tools..
After riding the girl in Arkansas last year , it made me feel right.
I will do some maintainence as we should..

If there is a problem, this forum has a lot of knowledge...
Only dumb question is the one you didn't ask..
No, I don't know what it is either...

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:21 pm

You should be concerned! That bike only good for couple hundred thousand miles.

Seriously it is like airplane...don't wear out on one ride.... And is slightly cheaper to maintain than a piper cherokee.

Put aside $.09 per mile for tires oil etc. If you do your own work. If you don't wrench then about $.22 to .25 perr mile .

Worth it for the ride...

Welcome to the asylum

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 1:11 am

See responses following your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO
Hello all!

I never realized a clutch job cost as much as it does and it seems as if the majority of people who have taken on this great task on this forum regretted doing so......yikes! Answer: it is a lot of work to replace the clutch but the guys on this forum are proof that it can be done. Its not hard its just time consuming. Remember too that it has to fail before it needs to be replaced. I don't worry about mine. I just ride it with that stupid "I'm riding my LT" grin on my face. If it fails I'll fix it.

- My clutch seems to engage awfully high, is this normal or should I be concerned (not getting any slipping as of yet)? Answer: no adjustment on clutch as it's hydraulic. You can adjust the engagement by using the dial on the clutch handle.

- I got the gist of the 'preventative care' suggestions by making time to get that weep hole mod completed asap, can someone just clarify for me is it the actual slave cylinder that fails or the seal, if known? Answer: the seal fails on the slave cylinder and the escaping DOT 4 telegraphs down the clutch push rod and fouls the clutch plate. Drill the weep hole and you should see the leak before it fouls the clutch. Not a huge job to replace the slave. When you drill the weep hole you will be as far into the tear down as you will need to be to replace the slave cylinder.

- Should the clutch need replacing, what brand are the majority of you going with? Answer: there is only one brand, BMW that is known at this time. There may be another brand but not sure they really have a product.

Of all the threads I pulled up just one thread made mention of a specific brand, most of you staying with OEM? Answer: OEM

- Any other suggestions/opinions/modifications/improvements or must have items would be greatly appreciated!!!! Relax and enjoy the big girl in all her glory! Keep the REVs up and she will dance for you. I have never in my life run a machine close to its upper rev limits. Until I got introduced to Mr. REV limiter one day while riding the twisties. Felt like it was missing, looked at the tach and the revs were over 8,000. Most exhilarating to say the least!

Lastly, the guy I purchased this bike from had a brand new Cee Bailey's windscreen on order which he included with the sale (nice!) but I regret putting it on now cuz it's still too low IMHO. The w/s that was on there was 17" long, not knowing what the standard w/s is I assumed the 20" he had ordered would be a great improvement, well, at 6' it's not really. The top of the screen is at my line of sight which is annoying to me, what are you 6'ers using out there? Answer: I NEVER look through the shield. Adjust it so it cuts the wind away from you and look over the top. No kidding! You will learn to love the adjustable wind screen. One of the best features of the bike

Thanks in advance!
Relax and enjoy. I am so thankful that I was so enamored with the LT before I found this forum. If I hadn't been smitten so hard I would be riding a Concours now. A great bike but not an LT!

One last thought: Think of the LT as more Ferrari like than Volkswagen Beetle like. It costs more to buy and it's more expensive to keep up but it will delight you instead of just moving you from place to place. I partook of the purple Kool Aid. Can you tell?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; Sep 22nd, 2010 at 4:39 am.
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 5:35 am

Welcome aboard. I cannot top anything that has been already said. As for the wind shield, I have the laminar lip and adjust the height so that I am looking out over the top. When it is really hot, I run it all the way down and enjoy the breeze. Play with different heights and see where you like it the best. There are several choices in after market shields out there, but get to know your bike well before making changes and enjoy your ride.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:40 am

I agree... take the RED pill... shake off the bonds of the pirates and squids!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:47 am Thread Starter

Man, I cant thank you guys enough for all your replies.....thanks for taking the time folks I appreciate it.

Thankfully, I am mechanically inclined so I'll have to just take your advice and enjoy the bike til that day comes. However, I love tinkering in the garage every now and then so if I get bored and feel up to it, I may very well take on that weep hole mod project over the winter.

Have a great week and ride SAFE!

PS- I can tell already I'm going to enjoy this forum.

2005 K1200LT
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:08 am

One thing I read here, in my early beginnings, was that this bike would 'make sense' when I got into it. Wasn't too sure about that, until I got into it. It does make sense, it's very nicely engineered.
If I could make a suggestion or two, since you state that you're mechanically inclined:
Get into it and change the air filter - you'll learn a ton right there, since all the tupperware has to come off, as well as the tank. You'll see the fuel disconnects that cause some problems. And you'll see where the fuel filter and pump are located. Might come in handy later.
Also get in there and clean/lube your shift linkage. You'll learn how that works just in case.
I replaced my clutch and rebuilt my final drive, and I'm not at all discouraged by this bike. Just turned 75,000 and all I can think about is seeing 100,000 on the odometer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in