need a little help/advise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

need a little help/advise

OK, I plan to start changing my own oil because the dealer is just insane for what they want and I'm starting to drive it a lot and packing on the miles. My question is how often do you do the tranny fluid or final drive fluid? I plan on doing the engine oil every 3K, I assume the others might be yearly? And yes I used the search, but didn't quite find this info (or didn't see it, I'm sure it's here). Thank you.

2001 K1200LTC
1998 Suzuki Marauder 800
1982 Suzuki GS550L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Re: need a little help/advise

I know this isn't going to help you out much, but I go by UOA (used oil analysis). I send my oil in for sampling, and the company will tell me, based on wear patterns and additive package (how much is still available), how long to go. Obviously this will be dependent on the oil you're using and how you ride, but it's a sure bet, not guess work. I'm out to a 9,000 mile engine oil interval.
Just something to consider, although not all are in agreement.
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:48 pm

I'm new to the k1200 this year, but not to bikes and maintanence work. I have always changed oil every 5,000 miles and plan on doing the final drive at that time. Transmission every other oil change. I use semi-synthetic engine oil and full synthetic gear oil.

Just my opinion

Bob

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Full synthetic everything & I change my oil every 6 K & the trans and FD every 12K

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

+1 on what Steve said. If you have an early bike it would not hurt to do the rear drive at 6K along with the engine oil. Just to look for the infamous metal flakes.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
+1 on what Steve said. If you have an early bike it would not hurt to do the rear drive at 6K along with the engine oil. Just to look for the infamous metal flakes.
John I did the FD at 6K the last 2 times (54K & 60K)but it was so clean I will go back to 12K on the next one.
BTW year 2000 with the original FD

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
John I did the FD at 6K the last 2 times (54K & 60K)but it was so clean I will go back to 12K on the next one.

Clean just means the gears are well worn in. Those pesky flakes can show up any time without warning.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I know this isn't going to help you out much, but I go by UOA (used oil analysis). I send my oil in for sampling, and the company will tell me, based on wear patterns and additive package (how much is still available), how long to go. Obviously this will be dependent on the oil you're using and how you ride, but it's a sure bet, not guess work. I'm out to a 9,000 mile engine oil interval.
Just something to consider, although not all are in agreement.
No doubt this is the best way to go. The main reason I don't do this is that, last time I checked anyway, the cost of the oil analysis was more than two oil changes! And it is a little messy to take the sample properly.

So, it was cheaper to just change every 5-6,000 which is about what I ride in a year. What analysis service do you use? What is the current cost for analysis?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 11:06 pm

I pay $9 for a sample, which is really easy to pull - you can either pull a sample from the engine, or grap some during the change.
I think Blackstone, or something like that, is $25.
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 1:00 am

I have a question pertaining to the gearbox fluid. I have looked at the BMW repair manual, and found the diagram for the gearbox, it indicated the drain plug and fill plug,so I kind of know where the fill plug is located on the gearbox, my question is, how do I access the fill plug. I did a search on the "hall of wisdom" and found plenty of info for draining the gear box but nothing on filling. I need to know what to pull in order to get to the fill plug. And any other bits of wisdom for performing this task would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

2000 K1200LTI
post #11 of 16 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 6:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPearson
I have a question pertaining to the gearbox fluid. I have looked at the BMW repair manual, and found the diagram for the gearbox, it indicated the drain plug and fill plug,so I kind of know where the fill plug is located on the gearbox, my question is, how do I access the fill plug. I did a search on the "hall of wisdom" and found plenty of info for draining the gear box but nothing on filling. I need to know what to pull in order to get to the fill plug. And any other bits of wisdom for performing this task would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Fill Plug is behind the right drivers foot peg plate. 3 allen head bolts & 2 torx screws to remove to get to the plug.

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 16 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 6:54 am

I have an '01 and change engine oil, gear box, and FD every 6000 miles. Dino in the engine, Royal Purple (synthetic) in the FD and gear box. Changing the gear box and FD fluids is cheap, less than $20 for a quart of RP which is enough for both items. Also gives a chance to look at the magnetic drain plugs for debris. MIGHT just be able to catch an impending failure on the lift instead of beside the road.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 16 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 8:15 am

I was just chatting with a top petro engineer this past weekend and he confirmed that oil and engines are so much better now than 20 years ago, there is no reason to change oil every 3k miles. Only service centers still recommend 3k intervals to increase their revenue.
Unless you just like doing the work or spending the money and increasing the used oil disposal/recycling load, go ahead and stretch out the interval.

My oil changes for our vehicles range from 5k-10k miles. The exception is my 25 year old truck which still gets 3k changes and needs it.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Fill Plug is behind the right drivers foot peg plate. 3 allen head bolts & 2 torx screws to remove to get to the plug.

Thanks Katnapinn!! I performed the service this morning. I spilled a little oil while draining, even with a makeshift drain funnel, but altogether, it went very well. Good for another 6,000 miles!!

2000 K1200LTI
post #15 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 6:54 am

I use synthetic in both the RT and LT
Change oil every 6,000 and transmission and final drive every other Spring using Redline Shockproof Heavy.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Last edited by STARFIGHTER; Sep 23rd, 2010 at 6:54 am. Reason: omission
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPearson
Thanks in advance
I change all fluids at 6000K intervals (just makes me feel better when I abuse the throttle)..
BMW spec oils/filter from www.beemerboneyard.com (their gear oil comes in a container with a spout you extend and just squirt into fill holes, wrap some tin foil around bike parts to direct spilled oil into pan).
02 LT, 84K uses no oil between changes, origional FD.
04 GS, 68K uses no oil between changes, FD failure at 56K.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in