Plexus vs. Lemon Pledge - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Question Plexus vs. Lemon Pledge

I have lots of cans of Plexus, a couple or more in the garage, one on each bike.
When I visit my local, old home BMW shop and have a free cup of coffee and don't buy anything else, I pick up another can of Plexus.
Good product, but kinda 'spensive. I'd do better paying Starbuck's rates for the coffee.

I remember posts years ago suggesting that Lemon Pledge furniture polish was good for cleaning the windshield, etc.

Recently during a trip to the hardware store I found myself looking at Lemon Pledge so I brought home a can.

Lemon Pledge doesn't seem to disolve bug guts quite as fast as Plexus, but so far seems to do the job at a quarter of the price of Plexus.

Anyone been using Lemon Pledge for a while and noticed any adverse effects on the windshield or body parts?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Re: Plexus vs. Lemon Pledge

curtis
i use a product called sprayway glass cleaner. does a good job cleaning and does not hurt the w/s as it does not contain ammonia. i've been led to believe that is bad for plastics. you can get it at auto parts stores. i get mine at sanels auto parts in burlington.
john
post #3 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Curtis;
Keeping this, of course, in house; I've been using the pledge since I got this bike.........the original windshield was less than pristine at the time of purchase.....was showing some de-lamination of the outer film of the Polycarbonate ....the Pledge seems to do OK and I haven't really noticed any 'milky' degradation that has been noted in some of the other threads...............$ 00.02.......and FWIW............

post #4 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 7:29 pm

I use Plexus on the windshield and Pledge on the rest of the plastic.
Confession: Last weekend I had to use the Lavender scent because I was all out of Lemon. My wife liked it.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #5 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 7:44 pm

I used Lemon Pledge on the windshield of my C-172 for over 30 years. Never any hint of a problem. I still use it on the RT and the LT.
post #6 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:09 pm
Gold Supporter

Looking at the material safety data sheets:

Pledge
Deionized Water 60% to 100%
Alkanes, C7-10-iso- 5% to 10% (some form of paraffin, but probably acts as a solvent as well)
Dimethicone 5% to 10% (some form of silicone)
Butane 1% to 5% (propellant?)
Propane 1% to 5% (propellant?)
Isobutane 1% to 5% (propellant?)

Plexus
Alipathic Petroleum Distillates 23% (some form of petroleum based solvent)
Propane 3% (propellant?)
Isobutane 12% (propellant?)

Didn't learn too much (except the numbers don't add up to 100%), but nothing too apparent that might hurt polycarbonates, Pledge looks pretty mild.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #7 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:38 pm

.... just water and a clean microfiber towel on the windshield.. Let the water soak for a few minutes and wipe off. Still looks new and doesn't cost too much.
JNW003 likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
I used Lemon Pledge on the windshield of my C-172 for over 30 years. Never any hint of a problem. I still use it on the RT and the LT.
+1 on the pledge

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 62 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Cool Re: Plexus vs. Lemon Pledge

I buy my "pledge" at the dollar store.....

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 12:31 pm

I have used both Plexus and Pledge on my 99 K1200LT, but before I sold it I stop using Pledge because I thought Plexus was better on the windshield and I only wanted to carry around one product. I have a 2006 K1200LT now and I love using Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray. I use it on all parts of the bike, even the wheels but not the tires. It will also work well on taking off the bugs. I have Zaino wax on my car but not on my bike and it still works well on my bike.

2006 BMW LT
post #11 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 2:59 pm

Pledge... Works great, and saves money.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #12 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
.... just water and a clean microfiber towel on the windshield.. Let the water soak for a few minutes and wipe off. Still looks new and doesn't cost too much.
I agree. If shield is real smutz, I soak an old tee shirt in warm water and let the dripping tee rest on the shield for 10 minutes or so, then a microfiber towel or blue shop towel.
post #13 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
I agree. If shield is real smutz, I soak an old tee shirt in warm water and let the dripping tee rest on the shield for 10 minutes or so, then a microfiber towel or blue shop towel.
I keep the corner of an old contour sheet in the garage and hang it on the windshield, wet for about 10 minutes or so after a ride and easily wipe off all the love bugs and grime. Dry with a microfiber. Still got the original windshield and it looks new. Easy and cheep...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #14 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I have lots of cans of Plexus, a couple or more in the garage, one on each bike.
When I visit my local, old home BMW shop and have a free cup of coffee and don't buy anything else, I pick up another can of Plexus.
Good product, but kinda 'spensive. I'd do better paying Starbuck's rates for the coffee.

I remember posts years ago suggesting that Lemon Pledge furniture polish was good for cleaning the windshield, etc.

Recently during a trip to the hardware store I found myself looking at Lemon Pledge so I brought home a can.

Lemon Pledge doesn't seem to disolve bug guts quite as fast as Plexus, but so far seems to do the job at a quarter of the price of Plexus.

Anyone been using Lemon Pledge for a while and noticed any adverse effects on the windshield or body parts?

Thanks,
Plexus is ridiculously priced at the dealer. You can find it on the web much much cheaper. I think it works great for the entire bike as well as the windshield.

Last time I bought 6 13 Oz. cans for $76.58 including freight.
That is $12.76 per 13 Oz. Can. The dealer was selling 7 Oz for $14.24 Inc. Sales Tax. ($13.00)
www.PowerSportSuperstore,com price is now $13.99 for 13 Ozs. I think that is still the cheapest I could find on the web.

I still have not used 6 cans in nearly 1.5 years.

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #15 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 4:38 pm

Quote:

Thanks,
I used to use Pledge on my sailplane, wings, empanage, tail . Made it nice and slippery don't know if it helped me or not.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #16 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
I used to use Pledge on my sailplane, wings, empanage, tail . Made it nice and slippery don't know if it helped me or not.

Garry
Not only will it improve your glide ratio, but will help you core those thermals as well.

I've used Pledge on everything imaginable so far with only one bad result. I have Nolan helmets with a fog shield which snaps inside the main visor. Pledge changed the fog shield, gave it a funny textured surface and ruined the optical clarity. Oops!
post #17 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Not only will it improve your glide ratio, but will help you core those thermals as well.
I only landed out once in a competition otherwise I always made it to my destination.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #18 of 62 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:46 pm

++1 on Pledge.
Been using pledge on all my bikes, aircraft and other stuff for 25+ years. never been an issue and cleans up nice with a shine. The lemony scent is nice too.

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #19 of 62 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 5:46 am

Lemon Pledge smells like .........lemons. Lavender Pledge? I think I need to change fragrances on my next purchase! Lavender Pledge would better complement my purple bike!

Been using pledge forever.

Loren
Notahog likes this.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 62 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh2020
Looking at the material safety data sheets:

Pledge
Deionized Water 60% to 100%
Alkanes, C7-10-iso- 5% to 10% (some form of paraffin, but probably acts as a solvent as well)
Dimethicone 5% to 10% (some form of silicone)
Butane 1% to 5% (propellant?)
Propane 1% to 5% (propellant?)
Isobutane 1% to 5% (propellant?)

Plexus
Alipathic Petroleum Distillates 23% (some form of petroleum based solvent)
Propane 3% (propellant?)
Isobutane 12% (propellant?)

Didn't learn too much (except the numbers don't add up to 100%), but nothing too apparent that might hurt polycarbonates, Pledge looks pretty mild.
It never ceases to amaze me about the information we get on this forum. We sure have the full range of knowledge and expertise. Thanks so much.

I still have a half full can of Plexus, but having read this thread, I am going to steal a can of the wife's Pledge and give it a go. She will probably never miss it

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #21 of 62 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 1:34 pm

Used Pledge on my Vetter fairings (including windshield) back in the 70's. Wonderful stuff. Gonna get some for the LT too. I've been using a wet & dry microfiber towels, but I remember the rain just rolled off the windshield with Pledge.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #22 of 62 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 1:34 pm

I've used Plexus for years and like it. It works well in keeping the black tip over wings black.

But I like Slip Streamer windshield polish and cleaner for the windshield. Seems to work better.

Never tried Pledge. I'll have to give it a shot.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #23 of 62 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 1:36 pm

Anyone have any thoughts to just using the same wax you use on your bike? I clean mine with warm soapy water and then wax it at the same time with the bike haven't seen any evidence of it causing any problem's with the film

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #24 of 62 Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 8:50 pm

Garage

Hmmm....I always tease my wife that the smell of lemon pledge turns me on. If I use it on my LT, I really will love my bike more than my wife.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #25 of 62 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:18 pm

Turtle Wax Express Shine on the whole bike for years, no issues with clear or painted surfaces.
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,3

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #26 of 62 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 3:52 pm

Use Pledge on my entire Goldwing; but really prefer the Plexus for the final touch up of the windshield. Also, use only Plexus on the inside of my helmet visor.
post #27 of 62 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:37 pm

I use Pledge when I changemy tires, acts as a lubricant. Haven't tried it on the rest of the Bike, I usually use the Turtle Wax ICE. Works great.

I'm trying the pledge.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #28 of 62 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 1:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
I use Pledge when I changemy tires, acts as a lubricant. .
Nice tip Joe.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

post #29 of 62 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 8:58 am

I have a Aeroflow windshield and no degradation after using Pledge for 11 years. Cheap, readily accessible, and works great.
Love the smell too!!!!!!!!

71 Triumph 650 - 30,000 miles
76 Suzuki GT750 - 40,000 miles
85 1200cc Suzuki Madura - 107,000 miles
86 1200cc Yamaha Venture - 60,000 miles
99 BMW K1200LT - 158,000 (Sold)
09 BMW K1200LT -41,399 miles (and counting)
post #30 of 62 Old Sep 26th, 2010, 10:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

I got a microfiber wash mitt at Target which is really great for bug removal. Beats any commercial product I've tried. Dip it in water and rub gently. The bugs just melt away. Pledge is the best thing around for shoe polish. After you finish up, spray the boots or shoes as light as possible and then follow up with an old cotton t-shirt. Did that for 28 years on my duty boots. Used to wear a hole in the sole and the leather still looked perfect. It's great stuff.
post #31 of 62 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

+1 Dan.

I use hot water on a micro fiber towel. Let it rest on the windshield a few minutes, then wipe it down with the same wet towel.

Dry it with a different (moist) micro fiber towel.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #32 of 62 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Exclamation Re: Plexus vs. Lemon Pledge

Great info. Has anybody used Brillianeze (sp?) for windshields, etc.?

Denny
post #33 of 62 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater

Denny
Nuttin' butt Brilliianize here, Denny. Been usin' it for a hunnert years on ole Toad. All over ('cept seat and tires). In my praise of Brillianize, I always include the disclaimer - if you're gonna paint any part in the relatively near future, don't use Brillianize on the part to be painted - paint ain't gonna stick.
post #34 of 62 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater

Denny
It uses silicone as do many other products. I am still not clear (pun intended!) if silicone is a good idea on a poly shield that has the BMW coating. I have had pretty good luck so far just using water and soap to clean mine and then wiping down with isopropyl alcohol afterwards.

However, I am starting to see the tell-tale fine scratches in the sun so in a couple more years (bike is a 2007 with 22K miles) and a few thousand more miles, I will probably try something else as I will have nothing to lose.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #35 of 62 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager

However, I am starting to see the tell-tale fine scratches in the sun so in a couple more years (bike is a 2007 with 22K miles) and a few thousand more miles, I will probably try something else as I will have nothing to lose.
I used McGuire's Plastic X to take out those scratches. Worked very well. Took out the haze too. I'm starting to get them again, and just cleaned the windshield with Pledge, and noticed that they are not near as visible on a stock windshield. My understanding is that Plexus does that too.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

post #36 of 62 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm

When I traveled, at each stop I would unload my bags, go directly to the bathroom with my personal cotton towel and soak it in Hot Water in the sink. I would lay the hot towel over the windshield and let it sit for an undetermined amount of time, then I would lightly work the screen with that towel to remove da bugs !

I would then go back with my first of two Microfiber cleaning cloths, wipe dry and remove any remaining residue, then spray and clean with 'Texas Two Step', with a second Microfiber, to put a new finish on the screen that will help with removal of bugs for the next evening
jorgensen likes this.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #37 of 62 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Plastic X! I'm gonna find me some of this stuff. I don't have the coating any more but there is still surface crazing which refracts pinpoint light sources in a million directions. Very annoying but fortunately seldom have to look through the shield because of the window elevator feature. I still sometimes dream about having a crystal clear windscreen.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
I used McGuire's Plastic X to take out those scratches. Worked very well. Took out the haze too. I'm starting to get them again, and just cleaned the windshield with Pledge, and noticed that they are not near as visible on a stock windshield. My understanding is that Plexus does that too.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #38 of 62 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 6:48 am

In my humble estimation the best "glass" cleaner I have ever found is a product called "Clearly Better" by Surf City. It works on all surfaces, contains no alcohol or ammonia. And best of all you can use it on a 100 degree day in direct sunlight without leaving streaks. It will not hurt window tint film or have an effect on the lamination. According to the manufacturer, if you don't like the product he will personally buy it back from you. It is available at most Speed and Specialty shops. Price is around $14.00.

Blake

2004 K1200LT Titan Silver
1969 GTO ragtop, supercharged LS drivetrain.
2003 MB C230 coupe, supercharged commuter car.

The best advice I have ever been given: "Never pet a burning dog."
post #39 of 62 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 4:38 pm

I can tell you what NOT to use: Maguiar's Plastic Polish and Cleaner. It goes on like wax, but sticks like gum when you try to scrub it off. Then the shield get's a foggy look to it. My friend had some Plexus, tried it this morning, it took all this yellow slimy stuff off the shield, it looks like new, clear as a dry Gin Martini. The Maguiar's is a wax,so I'm assuming that's what's turning yellow. Wouldn't Lemon Pledge turn yellow?? Do they make a Vodka Pledge ???

2005 K1200LT
1987 K75S
2010 Honda XR650
Buell Ulsses (R.I.P)
R100GS
++++++
"Hey, I figure what the hell, you know what I mean??"
post #40 of 62 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 3:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnickfly
I can tell you what NOT to use: Maguiar's Plastic Polish and Cleaner. It goes on like wax, but sticks like gum when you try to scrub it off. Then the shield get's a foggy look to it. My friend had some Plexus, tried it this morning, it took all this yellow slimy stuff off the shield, it looks like new, clear as a dry Gin Martini. The Maguiar's is a wax,so I'm assuming that's what's turning yellow. Wouldn't Lemon Pledge turn yellow?? Do they make a Vodka Pledge ???
Pledge does not turn yellow.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

post #41 of 62 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnickfly
Been using pledge for close to 30 years. It's never turned yellow. For the price, it really can't be beat.
post #42 of 62 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:43 am

I've been on the hunt for the "perfect" wax, polish, etc. my entire life. I'm sure over the course of time I've spent hundreds of dollars - and have half a dozen 1/2 empty containers still sitting on the shelves...

I recently had my Airhead repainted - and it was some serious dollars. The painter told me to let it sit for a couple of weeks to let the clear coat fully harden before waxing, which made sense to me.

After trying several of my favorites - including my beloved 3M Finishing Material - I still wasn't satisfied that it looked all the great - and it had nothing to do with his work - it didn't seem to have that ultra high gloss I was looking for.

I thought I would give the Pledge a try... wax on, wax off, my moment of Zen.

I can't believe how good it looks... and the lemon smell it left behind now has my wife commenting how great the garage smells versus the typical gassy smell she ALWAYS complained about.

So, not only do I have an incredibly shiny bike, Pledge also saved my bank account and my marriage!

Thank you SC Johnson!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #43 of 62 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:09 pm

Quote:

Thanks,
If I have a heavy build up of bugs on the windshield and I'm at home, I never use a cleaner to try and get them off. I simply throw a towel over the windshield and soak it (and keep it soaked) with water for at least 30 minutes. I usually do this while cleaning the whole bike. Then the bugs hose off or come off easy with soap and water. Once dry, THEN I would clean and polish with Plexus. After reading about the Lemon Pledge here though, I gave it a try last cleaning and I'm sold on it...none of the hazing I would get with Plexus.
post #44 of 62 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 2:03 pm

Quote:

Thanks,
I have a good friend who uses lemon or orange Behold on his bikes, truck, cars, and pretty much everything else and has been for years.

It seems Behold has more wax in it than Pledge or other similar products.

I remember Behold from long ago, but I could not find it anywhere, not Safeway, Kroger, Target, WalMart, etc. I called my friend and asked him where the heck he buys it, he told me he always gets it at the dollar stores. First time in one of those I found it. Probably the least expensive thing I ever bought for the LT!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #45 of 62 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 2:44 pm

You guys tricked me into reading this 18 month old thread........AGAIN!

'15 GTLE

post #46 of 62 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
You guys tricked me into reading this 18 month old thread........AGAIN!
Yup. At least there was new information added... Behold. :-))

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #47 of 62 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Well, since I first started this thread, I've been using Lemon Pledge instead of Plexus. If you happened to have read another of my recent posts, you'll know I don't wash my bike very much. Truly, only once or twice a year. But I use Lemon Pledge to clean the windscreen, helmet visors, the mirrors, and to get the bugs off my headlight protector and Motolights.

I haven't had any negative results from using the stuff, it seems to work great and costs a whole bunch less that the Plexus I used to use. Don't get me wrong, the Plexus worked great but the cost difference between Plexus and Pledge is significant. I used to use the Plexus sparingly 'cause of the cost; now I just lay on the Lemon Pledge.
post #48 of 62 Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 11:22 pm

I'm glad this thread was revived. I'll be stocking up on either the pledge or behold.
About all I can do for now is clean my LT and get her ready for riding.

Have to get over a little leg injury before I can hold the beast up. So. I'll give her a good coat of wax.

I used to use pledge on my airplane windscreen too. Worked perfectly, just forgot about it since I haven't had the plane in awhile.

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #49 of 62 Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:55 am

UPDATE -

I still use the water soaked towel on my windshields, but with a new Sci Cal "hole in the middle" windshield that reduces back pressure, came a small bottle of a secret mixture that they recommend for cleaning their windshield. I think that the formula for the mix is on their web site.

It seems to work a little better then just water for light dust and bugs when I am either in a hurry or on the road. I spray it on and let it soak for a while, add a little more to keep it wet and then wipe off with a micro towel.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #50 of 62 Old Sep 7th, 2015, 4:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

After reading the posts, I decided to give it a try with the Pledge Lemon Clean wipes for my windshield. Impressed with the first results. Once the wipes are gone, I will try the spray can, and see if there is any difference. I just bought my 99 K1200LT and there are some minor scratches to the windshield. I could not identify the best product to remove the scratches. Any thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in