hey gear heads lets talk about exhaust - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 2:52 am Thread Starter

hey gear heads lets talk about exhaust

does anyone know how big of a can of worms i would be opening if i made my own coustom exhaust i'm thinking about four seperate pipes and quite a bit louder any suggestions and where do i look for aftermarket and would this void warrenty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:35 am

Re: hey gear heads lets talk about exhaust

I'm thinking.. yes to both questions...
can-o-worms.. yes
void warranty.. yes

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:37 am

Well it would almost certainly void the warrenty. I would put a lot of thought into this. Where would you run four pipes? If you're making a custom exhaust why would you need aftermarket? Remus makes an aftermarket exhaust. Unless you have a lot of free time and money I would think the Remus would be more cost effective. $450 to $535 depending on wether you want carbon fiber, aluminum, or titainium. Just my $.02.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:47 am

Making new exhaust is no big deal at all. However you might want to take a few things into consideration SIZE of tubing, LENGHT of tubing, Wall of tubing, Type of material tubing made of, Where do the convergecies go and how long, where do the divergencies go and how far. In a nutshell, There is a lot of engineering going into the simplest exhaust. These companies have already done the engineering if they have a reputable system. Just pry that wallet open and buy an exhaust so you will be done with it.
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by x101bigfoot
does anyone know how big of a can of worms i would be opening if i made my own coustom exhaust i'm thinking about four seperate pipes and quite a bit louder any suggestions and where do i look for aftermarket and would this void warrenty
What's the point... More power? (probably less). More volume? (you're losing your hearing fast enough without aggravating it) More "I'm a bad a** m***********? On an 800 lb. touring bike?

Unless you modify the motronics and fuel rails at the same time ...

Even if by chance you ARE a rocket scientist I would be surprised if you'll get any more power - the catalytic converter is usually the biggest part of ANY exhaust restriction and you are 100% illegal without it. Have a warranty claim with a modified exhaust? Doesn't even matter even if it is NOT engine related - you'll be flat out rejected in a heart beat. Buh bye. Adios.

Just do like I used to do on my Jap bikes back in the 70's - take a stout piece of rebar - stick it all the way in the exhaust until it stops and start pounding hard with 5 pound mallet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in