BRAND New To the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 8:35 pm Thread Starter

BRAND New To the LT

Hello all! I recently purchased a 2005 LT with 14.9k on it. A little history: I am coming from a 2009 Concours 14, which is a GREAT bike, by the way. My brothers and I like to get together each year for a family trip. This summer we went to Canada. I am 6'1" and played a little football in my past which left me with bad knees. I really don't have a lot of problems out of my knees, but the Canada trip brought back painful memories . I realized I needed a bike that could accommodate my height and offers a different riding position. So, here I am!

I have no need for two bikes, so I will be selling the 14 for a good price ($8,500). It only has 5.3k miles on it. I have read a lot of the threads on this forum (and STILL bought the bike! ), and I plan to have the bike given a "what's over" soon. I've noticed that the front tire needs replacing. The seller told me this before the sell. I have noticed that when I slow the bike down, there is a bit of what sounds like scrubbing, which I believe is coming from the front tire. This happens before I hit the brakes, by the way. I also noticed the seller has radials on the bike. The familiar BT020's, and yes, they are radials, have been discontinued, but the rear tire is in great shape. The front is cupped and has the familiar 'bumps' in it. I'm thinking about replacing the front with the Avon Storm 2, which I believe a few folks on the forum have done. What do you guys suggest?

Of course, the LT doesn't have the quick acceleration like the 14, but I am getting used to that (I think). It IS top heavy like the Concours, so I am used to managing a bike with a lot of weight up front. It is AMAZING on the road, and so much more comfortable than the 14. I'm already thinking about our trip for next year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 11:55 am Thread Starter

Re: BRAND New To the LT

Anyone?
post #3 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry it took so long to get to this. I only see one question. Tires? Many threads on this topic. Quite a lot of interest in Metz, 'stones and Avon. Take your pick, that's all we get our choice of.
Yes, I agree with all your statements.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Smile Re: BRAND New To the LT

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy many miles on your LT.
Post your questions, on here and they will eventually get answered. Most people run Metzelers on their LT's, but to each their own, each brand of tires has its good points and bad, you have to make the choice on what you want out of a tire, mileage, less cost, better traction, etc. Post a pic of your bike.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #5 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 2:33 pm

Welcome to the forum--you will love that LT! As far as answering your question on tires...I don't think I will do that...but you sound like an experience rider so trust your judgement.

Once again welcome!!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #6 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

Here are pictures of the bike!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01962.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	28858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01964.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	28859   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01966.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	28860   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01968.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	28861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01969.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	28862  

post #7 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Ya see... You got the right color too....

Welcome to the asylum... Do a search on tires... Plenty of fodder to rifle thru... Some good, some bad, some by me (OUCH!). The rest of these gurus got a pretty good grip on "why she do what she do" so don't be a stranger...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #8 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 3:27 pm
KJN

Great looking ride.

I'm also tall. I really like the lowered foot pegs on mine. Great riding position for the knees.

You can do a search to find them. I also installed the lowered brake pedal which is a must if you use lowered pegs. Same thing with the shift lever. Lots of stuff to buy.

Enjoy!

Kimble
Phoenix
post #9 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Nice bike!!

You need to sell it TODAY! If not, plan on spending lots more on farkles.

When I bought my LT, I thought cool, a bike that has everything I will need on a bike. Since then I have put on a custom seat, you will too after your first long ride. Highway pegs I went with mic-o-pegs), BMR shelf that now holds a gps and radar detector, and probably a sirius unit this winter. I also finally purchased a heated jacket liner because I enjoy riding this damn thing so much and wanted to extend my season. For all these accessories I added a sentec fuse block. Of course I also had to buy all new gear!

And compared to many of the others, mine is bone stock!

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #10 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Wade, you weenie!!! notrix, GET METZLERS!

BTW, the Concours was the other contender when I bought my LT. Beautiful bikes, awesome reviews. I don't ride bikes that aren't mine so never got the chance to try one but it sure was tempting!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Welcome to the forum--you will love that LT! As far as answering your question on tires...I don't think I will do that...but you sound like an experience rider so trust your judgement.

Once again welcome!!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Hey Congrats!

I just bought the EXACT same bike (yr and color) but with more mileage. Most of my 25+ yrs of riding were on sportbikes so this is my first tour bike. I, too, thought I wasn't going to need to buy anything else when I bought this thing but like living free says, I can definitely see a custom seat in my near future. I went out on my first 100 mile ride (not very long I know) yesterday and I was highly disappointed by the seats comfort.....or there lack of.

I've put on roughly 150 miles total since I got this bike last week, so far, I see a seat and possibly new suspension in my near future.

Oh excluding the HID kit I just bought for the low beam, that is.

2005 K1200LT
post #12 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

WOW! Thanks for all the great comments! I should have been a bit more patient. I am still ecstatic about the K Bike. I go into the garage at night just to steal a peek! By the way, here are a few more pics of the bikes together. I love them both, but the wife laid down the rules when I bought the LT... So, the 14's gotta go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9200081.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	28867   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9200069.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	28868  
post #13 of 29 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 6:40 am

Welcome to the group. I have 2 bikes in the stable at present and the wife reminds me about that as well, so I understand. I still use the RT to ride to meet my breakfast buds just to keep the battery charged.

BTW, lived in Cary for a long time and almost bought a house in Zebulon. Nice town.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #14 of 29 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:28 am

Congrats.. as said.. "welcome to the asylum!"

I'm running Metz's.. on my '05...
..had same "cupping" on front tire.... when running 'Stones... and "recommended" pressure.
Upping the pressure helped.....a bit.

Same on the rear.. upping pressure helped.

Now.. please take time... read through the threads... and make your own decision that you can live and be comfortable with.

As for the pics.. I see a serious problem you need to address immediately...

It's CLEAN.... What's up with that? Even the rear tire looks showroom ready!!! Go fix that problem...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 29 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:33 am

Yepper';.........LT's do run better with sum buggutz on the front...................
post #16 of 29 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 11:45 am

I have an '05 as well, last month took a 4,022 mile trip through the west. You're going to love that bike. A few suggestions, get the HID upgrade kit from DDM Tuning, a Cee Bailey windshield, Clymers repair manual and check out the threads on tire pressures. Check/change fluids at no longer than recommended intervals. Lastly, the LT loves rpms so one must always watch for LEOs.
post #17 of 29 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFBO
Hey Congrats!

I can definitely see a custom seat in my near future. I went out on my first 100 mile ride (not very long I know) yesterday and I was highly disappointed by the seats comfort.....or there lack of.

If you anticipate that moving your feet will help shift your weight on you seat, you might condiser Mick-O-Pegs that allow you to get your feet down low and forward of your stock foot peg position. If they don't fix your comfort issue we'll buy them back (less $30) if you return them within 90 days. It's a cheaper alternative than an aftermarket seat if these spring loaded highway pegs make trips more comfortable for you.

When you're comfortable...Riding Is Wonderful

Joyfully, MOPMan (Jim Mick)
post #18 of 29 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 12:08 pm

You might try negotiating a little bit. Consider starting out with something like "After all the years (months, weeks, days hours?) we've been married I just can't imagine what it would be like to be alone again" Then move to "Have you ever noticed how the Concours and the LT make such a cute couple? Seems like it would be a shame to have to split them up so early in their relationship.........."

If that doesn't tug at her heart strings you might want to try a bribe. "You know, it doesn't seem fair for me to have two beautiful bikes that make me so happy and content. Why don't we get you a new ride?" Then suggest a new turbocharged diesel pickup with a nice matching boat!

FWIW My negotiations seem to always go well until the very end.........

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrix
WOW! Thanks for all the great comments! I should have been a bit more patient. I am still ecstatic about the K Bike. I go into the garage at night just to steal a peek! By the way, here are a few more pics of the bikes together. I love them both, but the wife laid down the rules when I bought the LT... So, the 14's gotta go!

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #19 of 29 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Notrix,

You have to be careful about some of the advice/opinions you get here. I would like to be a fly on the wall when Loren is trying to get that new pick up and boat

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #20 of 29 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Notrix,

You have to be careful about some of the advice/opinions you get here. I would like to be a fly on the wall when Loren is trying to get that new pick up and boat
Boat? I don't see no BOAT!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #21 of 29 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Loren,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will take it under advisement... Or maybe not! Either way, I have to let you all know that I showed her the recent posts... I got a VERY cheerful smile... No comments from her, just a smile... I'm guessing I got NO chance of keeping the 14..!

I'm Kenn!

2005 K1200LT
2009 CONCOURS 14 (Named her '13') **FOR SALE**
2000 CONCOURS (Long Gone)
post #22 of 29 Old Sep 27th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Kenn! You showed her the posts???!!! When she smiled was it like a happy smile or more of a If I ever meet that little shit he's gonna get it kind of grin?

What ya wanna do now is kinda look all sad, don't let her see the grin in your face when you get back home from a ride on the LT. After about 10 or 12 months or so she should ask you what's wrong. That's when you go back to step one!

It sure is gonna be tough waving good bye to your Concours.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrix
Loren,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will take it under advisement... Or maybe not! Either way, I have to let you all know that I showed her the recent posts... I got a VERY cheerful smile... No comments from her, just a smile... I'm guessing I got NO chance of keeping the 14..!

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #23 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 3:15 am

OK. I feel a need to 'fess up here. I have never tried either of the two negotiating techniques mentioned above at home with She Who Must be Obeyed. But I sure am interested if one of them works!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #24 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 5:53 am

This is the primary reason for a big garage that looks like it never gets cleaned out. You can hide all kinds of stuff in there. When she sees something she thinks is new all you got to do is say that you were rooting around and found the thing you thought you lost. After 25 years it works sometines, but then I am a lost cause. After 109 cars I always can find at least 1 souvenier from each. I plan to do this with a Ducati next spring.

Blake

2004 K1200LT Titan Silver
1969 GTO ragtop, supercharged LS drivetrain.
2003 MB C230 coupe, supercharged commuter car.

The best advice I have ever been given: "Never pet a burning dog."
post #25 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 7:54 am

Loren, you are too much, you should go on Dr. Phil's show to help these poor mistreated multi-motorcycle dudes. Maybe we should start a new forum here called "DEAR LOREN" [I]

Be careful, if a lot of wives see your posts you could be in deep doo-doo

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #26 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:20 am

As an FYI, all computers that She Who Must be Obeyed has a password to has the bmwlt.com domain blocked. Safer that way ya know!

It's always easy to offer "advice" to others. Occasionally a suggestion might actually work. These rare occasions you file away for later use at home.......

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #27 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 9:49 am

Joke (sorta) follows:

A husband has many discussions with his lovely bride.. the topic.... a new BOAT!

The wife finally has what she thinks is the last word... "No."

The husband arrives some time later with the new boat. His wife is....er... disappointed that the husband acted without her... In an attempt to appease the wife's fury, he says.. "Sorry, Honey... to make it up to you... will you please name the boat?"

The wife agrees to the offer and later calls the marina to have the boat lettering done.

Upon arrival at the marina for a weekend of care free boating recreation, the husband is strolling along the dock and can see his new boat gleaming and glistening in the morning sun.

As he gets close to the boat he finally recognizes the NAME his lovely bride had painted on the BOAT:

"For SALE"

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #28 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

You guys are TOO MUCH! I know I have the right bike with such hilarious guys riding on the same highways and byways! Concours 14 dudes are no where NEAR this funny! Anyway, the wife, co-creator of our children... (She likes to remind me of that from time to time) has spoken. Things can only go down hill from here (in my favor). Plus, she promises to let me go on long trips without permission (Huh, like I need it... Who's in charge here, anyway?)... Who can argue with THAT?

I'm Kenn!

2005 K1200LT
2009 CONCOURS 14 (Named her '13') **FOR SALE**
2000 CONCOURS (Long Gone)
post #29 of 29 Old Sep 28th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Congrats for the LT and greetings from Finland

My LT is also new for me, I traded my 2001 GL1800 week ago for the 2006 LT, with 18tkms. Was it a clever decision, time will show? The question of course is reliability.
LT is with Xenon and top box rack extras, no extra audio devices.

I had already mentally prepared myself to change for a Kawa GTR1400 (Concours), but after several test drives, I started to think "Is this what I really want". Finally the answer was no. Maybe that is why there are quite a lot of them available. The engine is really good, handling as well, but comfort or ...? (I used to have GTR1000 in the past). I also drove K1200GT, K1300GT, FJR1300, ST1300.... then I found this article:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/mcn/mod...410-GLvsLT.pdf

So I went to test drive K1200LT with my GL1800. After a long test drive and price negotiation the bike was changed.

I have been now driving some 600km and YES, LT is a very good and comfortable bike.
The torq is not like in GL, but that what the gears are for... also the suspension is better than in GL. And the auto center stand -vow, its really fine addition.

The original windshield is a bit short for me (185cm), I either have to buy a longer touring plex, or is there available extensions or "guides". It would need to be inch (few cm) longer.

The bike has no optional audio devices, so I need to make intercom and also maybe some other things. I am planning to put Yaesu FT-10R ham radio on it (I am OH2KW), as it has stereo radio, ham radio (2m & 70cm), AUX input and built-in intercom.

It would be nice to connect it the BMW audio system, can it be done without those expensive additional audio cables and devices? And can AUX be activated somehow (e.g. CD input lines)?

Is there repair manual available for downloading somewhere? I found only the older model manual. I would be interested especially of shematics and connectors (for audio).
And of course any other ham experience. E.g. where could I find the best location for the radio (I do not want to use the space from panniers/top box). I have measured, that the radio could go on top of the battery under the saddle, the user unit can be attached somwhere to dash.

br. Arto / Finland

PS. the season starts to be over here, but last saturday we had incredible +20C, and I drove some 250km with my wife.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in