Intermittent cruise control failure... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 8:44 am Thread Starter
KJN

Intermittent cruise control failure...

Iíve been experiencing an intermittent cruise control failure. The symptoms began with a failure to reengage after disengaging using the throttle release.

Sometimes I could get it to reengage by closing and opening the throttle a few times, but that doesnít work consistently. The problem seems to occur most frequently early in the ride before the bike warms up.

Recently, I was on a ride from the Arizona high country starting out at 58F. This may sound strange but the cruise control would not engage until the temperature got up to the mid 70ís after a brief stop. After that it worked fine for the rest of the day.

Iím inclined to believe the problem is related to the throttle cable. Iím considering disabling the throttle disconnect switch. Iíve read that some operators have done this. I typically disconnect using the clutch switch anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Kimble
Phoenix

2000 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 9:16 am

Re: Intermittent cruise control failure...

Your profile indicates you have a 2000 so its probably the throttle cable as you suspect. I would not bypass or disable ANY of the cruise control safeties. That's why they're there. Most, if not all, who have replaced their old throttle cables with the new style say it feels better than new when they're done and are very glad they made the change.

BTW I use the rear brake to disengage the CC. I've always felt that there is some risk over revving if the clutch sensor failed.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 10:26 am

Wink Re: Intermittent cruise control failure...

As Loren says, it could be your throttle cable switch, but don't overlook the clutch switch. It is probably the most frequent culprit of this problem, and it is fairly easy to check: If you are in a situation where it has dis-engaged and is not re-engaging (the CC that is!) try pushing the clutch lever forward a little and then re-engaging the cruise. If you can, then the clutch switch is simply a little too sensitive and needs to be adjusted.

I have had similar CC probs in the morning that went away later in the day and it was the clutch switch.

HTH,
John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 10:55 am

My 2000 LT has become problematic in just the same way, randomly drops and will not engage again until the power is shut off at the key-switch, then comes back on again. I was puzzled until one time it was on and I hit a rough section of road at highway speeds and it shut itself off. Now I can determine that if I am over too rough a road while it is powered on but not in use, it will not activate (set) until the bike is powered off and back on again. Of course, my bike has nothing to do with temp because it will do it at 55įf or 95įf.

I would suspect a switch somewhere...

2012 K1600GT

post #5 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 11:28 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Try loosening the closer cable (up at the grip)a bit and see if that changes anything. Then check the clutch and brake switches. All three are much easier than disabling the switch and don't require tupperware removal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 1:22 pm Thread Starter
KJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Try loosening the closer cable (up at the grip)a bit and see if that changes anything. Then check the clutch and brake switches. All three are much easier than disabling the switch and don't require tupperware removal.

Thanks to all.

I'm running on the origional cables. Probably should upgrade.

In the mean time, Is the closer cable the upper one?

Thanks again!

Kimble
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 1:39 pm Thread Starter
KJN

Found it in the clymer. Thanks again.

Kimble
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 7:01 pm

I had cruise control failure on both my 01LT (now 93K) and my 99LT (now 51K). It would kick out when I would hit a bump in the road. In both cases I resolved the problem by repairing the wire from the speed sensor in the real wheel. The speedometer was getting an intermittent signal, causing the speedometer needle to fluctuate a bit. When I repaired the wire (it was weak/broken at the tiedown just below the seat, near the rear shock absorber) by splicing in a new length of wire, bingo, the cruise control problem went away.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Ok, had to go to Seattle for a new rear tire and decided to test some things. I found if I tapped my clutch lever from the top hard enough to make it jiggle like a rough road would it would disengage the cruise control. If I fiddled with it enough I could get it to reset.

I found my culprit, now to see about adjusting it.

2012 K1600GT

post #10 of 12 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 6:48 pm

Outstanding! Much easier to fix than replacing throttle cables! Down time is bad time this late in the year. Soon the snow will fly in your part of the world!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Outstanding! Much easier to fix than replacing throttle cables! Down time is bad time this late in the year. Soon the snow will fly in your part of the world!

Loren
No kidding... marble-sized hail today, what's up with this?!?!?!

I'll consult the BMW factory manual this week and see what mischief I can get into in adjusting this thing. Shouldn't be too difficult, but you never know with the way this thing is engineered!

2012 K1600GT

post #12 of 12 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 2:26 pm Thread Starter
KJN

It was the throttle switch after all.

Man what a pain to get that close cable adjusted to the correct position. A lot of trial and error, but it works for now in the warmed up state.

Thanks to all and to the Hall of Wisdom.

Gratefully,

Kimble
Phoenix

PS. Getting really anoyed with the 110F+ temps out here! Can't wait for winter!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in