Thank you all who contribute to this site!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 6:09 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thank you all who contribute to this site!!

Thank you for this site. I have only had my bike for a week now. Thanks to this site (I have spent hours and hours reading posts) I am so much more confident in my riding. I pull up to a stop light or stop sign, keep my head up and stop with confidence. No wobbling. My slow speed riding is 1000 times better. I can turn slow now with confidence.

I also enjoy the polls and the humor.

My first real attempt at mechanical work of any kind was to adjust my shifter up a bit. I took the panel off and other stuff started coming loose. I could see that it wouldn't be as easy it was on my old dirt bike!! I put the plate back on thinking oh well I'll just get by until the 12k service and have the dealer do it. That night I searched for older posts regarding this kind of adjustment and found lots of info. I am going to try adjusting it.

This may seem silly to you, what an easy job But for me it is very complicated. I have never done any kind of mechanical work. Thanks to you and this site I'm sure I can tackle it.

From my first post I have been amazed at the willingness to help us new guys. I even had a guy offer to drive 3hrs to help me with service. I couldn't believe it!! You seem to be genuinely interested in helping others learn and doing what you can to maximize their riding experience.

Thanks again,

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 6:34 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Thank you all who contribute to this site!!

David
There is a phrase coined by one of our members that sums it up very well.

"Cause that's what we do"
I visit a lot of motorcycle forums but this site is one of a very few of them that the members will go out of there way to help anyone.
As for the shift linkage it is really not that hard to adjust . Take your time & you can do it.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 6:36 am

David,

Welcome.
And thanks for taking the time to read. Lots of info deep in old messages in here. Occasionally, someone new finds the site and posts an oft repeated query without doing much research. They get lots of helpful replies too, but it is refreshing to know you read.

Yeah, we are fortunate to have this site, built by a number of folks who have dedicated lots of time and effort to it.

There is lots of enthusiasm for this bike. An offer from someone to ride a few hours and help is really just an excuse for them to go for a ride and share in the enthusiasm.

Welcome, and enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
Thank you for this site. I have only had my bike for a week now. Thanks to this site (I have spent hours and hours reading posts) I am so much more confident in my riding. I pull up to a stop light or stop sign, keep my head up and stop with confidence. No wobbling. My slow speed riding is 1000 times better. I can turn slow now with confidence.

I also enjoy the polls and the humor.

My first real attempt at mechanical work of any kind was to adjust my shifter up a bit. I took the panel off and other stuff started coming loose. I could see that it wouldn't be as easy it was on my old dirt bike!! I put the plate back on thinking oh well I'll just get by until the 12k service and have the dealer do it. That night I searched for older posts regarding this kind of adjustment and found lots of info. I am going to try adjusting it.

This may seem silly to you, what an easy job But for me it is very complicated. I have never done any kind of mechanical work. Thanks to you and this site I'm sure I can tackle it.

From my first post I have been amazed at the willingness to help us new guys. I even had a guy offer to drive 3hrs to help me with service. I couldn't believe it!! You seem to be genuinely interested in helping others learn and doing what you can to maximize their riding experience.

Thanks again,

David

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
My slow speed riding is 1000 times better. I can turn slow now with confidence.
With practice, it's possible to execute a 180 degree turn on a two-lane road.
Lock-to-lock on the handlebars,
turn your body and your head in the direction of travel,
look at where you want to go,
throttle-clutch (and brake on non-integrated ABS systems),
feet on the footpegs, lean into the turn.
Practice in a large parking lot using the parallel lane parking lines.
Start with what you're comfortable with,
then decrease the number of lines it takes to execute the 180-degree turn.
Just straighten up before you try to stop.
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 8:05 am

Welcome aboard David. I too find this site very rewarding, especially in the wrenching sector. Glad you are enjoying your new ride.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 8:25 am

David, you echo what I know, a lot of us feel. The knowledge of this forum has probably made the difference for me as to whether or not I kept the bike. If it wasn't for this site, I would not get 1/2 of the riding pleasure I get and would not be able to do much of the service that I take for granted. The members are extremely helpful and a tremendous source of knowledge.

BMW, in my opinion, could greatly increase sales and customer satisfaction if they supported the site and promoted it to all customers.

It's a shame that more of those who anonymous get so much from this forum don't $$$ support it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Well I did it!!! Thanks to this site I was able to adjust my shift lever up. It was a PAIN but I was able to get it done. I had already decided to contribute to this site and this just assures me that my money is well spent!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #8 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 8:46 pm

I'm a newbie too and I must agree with David. The info on this site is outstanding. Advice and technical data are just a few keystrokes away.
Last night I replaced my rear brake pads and changed the F.D. fluid. Thanks to the posts that I've read here, I didn't freak when I saw the small hump of black material on the magnet!
I don't want to hijack the thread but there are great people on this site too!
My wife and I just got home from a ride in support of the M.S. Society, organized and run by none other than Garry Kramer. (See the AmazingRideforMS thread in the Canada forum) I have only met him twice, but I like to think that he is a shining example of the type of people who inhabit this forum.
Thank you Garry, and thank you to all who have answered my (sometimes dumb), newbie questions.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 9:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Same sentiments as all others. No doubt, having the confidence that I'm driving and riding it right, and knowing where to go if there are questions, makes an overwhelming difference. It's funny. I actually think this bike is easier to drive than my other one, even at slow speed. Good tips have been a factor to go with good design.

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Cat Herder

Welcome aboard folks and thanks for throwing a few bones our direction. Keeping the lights on here costs a lot of money and we appreciate every bit of help we can get.

But this site would be nothing without the help and tireless work of our moderators and members helping to shape it into what it today.

Thanks everyone.
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 7:35 am

I too have benefitted from this site as my questions have been answered by many of these nice people in this BMW community. I'm new the the LT and getting help from others on here makes it easier to understand and work on this bike.
Thank you all for making this site worth the money to join.
Gary D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in