Motorcycle lift - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 6:05 pm Thread Starter

Motorcycle lift

I have been thinking for a long time about a lift, but have never sprung for one. My knees are getting worse and the getting up and down is starting to wear me out. I started reading some threads on this forum about lifts and what I hadn't thought of was the weight and balance of the LT.

It looks to me like a dangerous thing to get the LT on and off the lift. I do not have anyone to help me at all. The only safe thing I could think of was to cut out the shop floor and flush mount the lift, but I am not prepaired to do that at this time.

Comments please.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Re: Motorcycle lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
I have been thinking for a long time about a lift, but have never sprung for one. My knees are getting worse and the getting up and down is starting to wear me out. I started reading some threads on this forum about lifts and what I hadn't thought of was the weight and balance of the LT.

It looks to me like a dangerous thing to get the LT on and off the lift. I do not have anyone to help me at all. The only safe thing I could think of was to cut out the shop floor and flush mount the lift, but I am not prepaired to do that at this time.

Comments please.
I use a couple of timbers on either side of the lift to put my feet when riding the bike on and off the lift. I drag them out of the way once the bike is on the lift.

You could build a couple of boxes using boards and achieve the same result.
post #3 of 31 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 6:46 pm

I just purchased a used Handy Lift that came with side extensions for the lift surface and Ramp. The side extensions make it easy to ride on as you have a place for your feet. It has a crank front tire clamp and eye tie downs. It is a ride on and clamp by yourself operation. I love it. I guess they are out of business now but if you can find a used one, they are built like a tank and weigh the same!

post #4 of 31 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 10:08 pm

I used to just ride mine on and off my Harbor Freight 1250 lb air/hydraulic lift. Got it a little crossed up once but didn't drop it. lkneiss sent me a pic a few weeks ago of his new lift so I decided it was about time to add siderails. I bought a few feet of 11/2" x 11/2" x 3/16" angle and welded a piece about 18" from the front and back of the lift and carriage bolted on my 2 x 10 loading ramps.

Now it feels like I have a sidewalk on both sides of my lift! Also very handy for placing tools on just before you knock 'em to the floor.

I built up the bottom portion of the ramp about 3" , essentially decreasing the angle in order to keep from hitting the transmission guard. I also installed a wheel chock that you just ride the front wheel into and it captures the front tire which will hold the bike upright. I also put a couple tie downs around the front forks just to make me feel better. I have no trouble putting the beastie on the lift myself.

One last thing. I also put some non-skid stick down stuff on the deck of the lift because without it there was no way to stop the bike with the brakes once the rear wheel started down the ramp. The friction of the front tire on the diamon plate was not enough to overcome gravity.

I would take some pics if it would help.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 31 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Loren,

Pictures would help a lot.

Do you ride into the front wheel chock and leave the bike into it while you dismount and then put the bike on the center stand?

My other concern is backing off the lift. I just find the LT so awkward to horse around and am scared to death of dropping it on a lift.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #6 of 31 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 9:17 am

i put a 3/16" plate,6"s wider each side. works great for entry/exit and also gives a shelf to put tools on and makes the deck a little more ridgid.
john
post #7 of 31 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 10:15 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Here is what I use. I went to Delaware to pick it up and did not pay near that for it. You can call and wheel and deal.

I wanted a Handy but could not afford it. I need to park on it so I wanted side extensions and that really put the Handy out of reach for me.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...DT%2FTPXLT-KIT

It is a very nice lift and handled the LT with ease.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 31 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for that link Lee. I watched their video as well, looks like a good lift. I am not sure I understand what you mean "wheel a deal". Are they very negotiable from their posted prices or does it have to do with what they may have in stock? Curious.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #9 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 3:47 am

Bill, I have spent HOURS getting the video taken, converted, hosted, etc. to get this to you. It was worth every second I spent on the project as I have finally figured out the process. Thanks for the push! I needed it.

It really is easy to load and unload the bike from the lift. Until I welded the angle iron supports and commandeered my pickup loading ramps to make side extensions I used to just load it on using the width of the lift only. It is much safer now with the side extensions!

Please note: Some safety equipment was removed in order to clarify the process being filmed. Do not try this at home without all safety equipment installed! (tee hee hee)

Side view of lift with homemade extensions and ramp raiser to reduce angle of ramp:

End view of ramp in lowered position. Note that there is a removable section on the lift which can be removed in order to remove the rear wheel. Make sure your lift has this option. It's very handy:

View of Harbor Freight Wheel Chock. This is what allows me to place the bike on the ramp unassisted. It is not evident in the video below but once the front wheel is in the chock there is no need to hold on to the bike. I do toss a couple straps around the front forks above the front fender just to be absolutely sure but there is no issue getting on or off the bike safely without it being strapped down. I also make sure the forks are strapped when I use my mini floor jack to raise the rear of the bike off the lift.:

Here is a professionally filmed , edited , and produced video of the drive on, capture, release, and ride off of the ramp. I hired a professional camera woman (my wife) and a dashing actor to portray myself riding the bike. The bike was ridden onto the ramp, captured in the wheel chock, the bike was dismounted, lifting/lowering simulated, and the bike was finally backed out of the chock and down the ramp.

I may move the side boards toward the rear of the lift by about 6-8 inches.

Enjoy!:

Loren

Quote:
Loren,

Pictures would help a lot.

Do you ride into the front wheel chock and leave the bike into it while you dismount and then put the bike on the center stand?

My other concern is backing off the lift. I just find the LT so awkward to horse around and am scared to death of dropping it on a lift.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Last edited by wa1200lt; Sep 19th, 2010 at 3:54 am.
post #10 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 6:46 am

Loren,

Great work on your first first production! You will have votes from the whole academy, I'm sure as this really shows how easy it is done and eliminates fears from the unexperienced.

I agree that moving the side boards back a few inches may add to the stability as your foot seems to be in the air for that split second.

Thanks for sharing... I'm sure you will now get a group wanting to come over to work on their bike... just remember, I have first dibs!

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #11 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Loren,

Thanks for all the effort you and your professional camera operator put into the video, that was extremely informative. I can easily see that the side extensions are a must and agree that you need some more extension at the back. Looks a bit shakey backing off and not having terrafirma under your feet. I had not seen that forward wheel chock before, looks like a good thing to have.

I guess I was mistaken in thinking that you put the bike on the center stand. From what you said, I assume you use a jack? I still feel very very nervous about getting the bike back off the lift. I think if I go for it, I will try it for a while and then probably bite the bullet and cut the floor and flush mount the lift.

I assume also that if you are removing the front wheel, you do it on the floor and not on the lift?

You may have found yourself a new career in film making. Something to look forward to in your retirement. Thanks again for all the effort.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #12 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 7:16 am Thread Starter

PS. Loren,

Glad to see that you didn't need your AIR BAGS in that operation

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #13 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 9:07 am

Nice job Loren...........informative.............thanx; jim
post #14 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 9:34 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

They will barter on price a bit. I never paid near that but it was a few years ago since I bought mine. Not sure if steel prices have affected pricing but I would think you could get 50-100 off that price.

Also picking it up will save you a lot of shipping money and they have a few locations. I went to Delaware to get mine in a pickup truck.

I has held up well and looks as new with little wear or tear on it.

Quote:
Thanks for that link Lee. I watched their video as well, looks like a good lift. I am not sure I understand what you mean "wheel a deal". Are they very negotiable from their posted prices or does it have to do with what they may have in stock? Curious.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #15 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Here is what I use. I went to Delaware to pick it up and did not pay near that for it. You can call and wheel and deal.

I wanted a Handy but could not afford it. I need to park on it so I wanted side extensions and that really put the Handy out of reach for me.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...DT%2FTPXLT-KIT

It is a very nice lift and handled the LT with ease.
I also have the Direct Lift XLT DT from Greg Smith (bought it at their Indianapolis store). It's the only lift I have personal experience with, but it's been easy to use, I feel safe on it, etc. I have the side extensions, also. No need for entrance ramp extensions, and the rear wheel drop-out is worth its weight in gold because it means I don't have to remove the trailer hitch before dropping the wheel.

I would NOT want to ride onto or off a lift without some type of side extension (factory or home-made). That said, the tech at both dealerships I have been to push the LT onto the ramp, by hand. I guess you get used to it.

Maybe I'm doing an unsafe thing here, but I don't even use the chock that came with my lift. I ride on, stop at the forward-most point of the lift, engage the center stand, then dismount. I run the lift up and down without additional tiedowns. The first 2 times I changed oil I used tiedowns. After that I quit doing it. The LT seems pretty stable to me... on the center stand... 3' in the air. If I did something more than simple fluid changes I'd probably tie it down.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 10:04 am

I would like to thank all the members of the academy...........

But seriously though. To remove the front wheel I put the bike on the lift, then use a little mini floor jack to raise the bike enough to extend the center stand. Two straps hold the rear wheel onto the deck and put tension on the bike extending toward the rear of the lift. This raises the front wheel out of the chock. Two additional straps from the riders foot pegs extending toward the front keep the bike from sliding backward on the lift.

This works but when I replaced the front tire and the front brake pads I actually did the work with the bike off the lift. Served as a great reminder why I have the lift. Too old, fat, and lazy to work from the floor!

Loren

Quote:
Loren,

Thanks for all the effort you and your professional camera operator put into the video, that was extremely informative. I can easily see that the side extensions are a must and agree that you need some more extension at the back. Looks a bit shakey backing off and not having terrafirma under your feet. I had not seen that forward wheel chock before, looks like a good thing to have.

I guess I was mistaken in thinking that you put the bike on the center stand. From what you said, I assume you use a jack? I still feel very very nervous about getting the bike back off the lift. I think if I go for it, I will try it for a while and then probably bite the bullet and cut the floor and flush mount the lift.

I assume also that if you are removing the front wheel, you do it on the floor and not on the lift?

You may have found yourself a new career in film making. Something to look forward to in your retirement. Thanks again for all the effort.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #17 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 10:14 am

I would like to thank all the members of the academy...........

But seriously though. To remove the front wheel I put the bike on the lift, then use a little mini floor jack to raise the bike enough to extend the center stand. Two straps hold the rear wheel onto the deck and put tension on the bike extending toward the rear of the lift. This raises the front wheel out of the chock. Two additional straps from the riders foot pegs extending toward the front keep the bike from sliding backward on the lift.

This works but when I replaced the front tire and the front brake pads I actually did the work with the bike off the lift. Served as a great reminder why I have the lift. Too old, fat, and lazy to work from the floor!

Loren

Quote:
Loren,

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #18 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
I just purchased a used Handy Lift that came with side extensions for the lift surface and Ramp. The side extensions make it easy to ride on as you have a place for your feet. It has a crank front tire clamp and eye tie downs. It is a ride on and clamp by yourself operation. I love it. I guess they are out of business now but if you can find a used one, they are built like a tank and weigh the same!
I found this on the web for around 900.00.
Is this the same lift you guys are talking about?

http://www.oncycles.com/catalog.asp?r=1&pn=MCS00161

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

post #19 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 10:59 am

I have a question about the wheel chock. Will the front wheel remain in the chock when you put it on the centerstand? I've got the cheaper harbour freight lift which works fine. I've just been using the original clamp that came with it. Ride up to the stop plate, put side stand down, get off bike & put on centerstand. Then screw clamp down. The chock would be a lot easier/safer if the wheel remains in the chock.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #20 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 11:13 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
I have a question about the wheel chock. Will the front wheel remain in the chock when you put it on the centerstand? I've got the cheaper harbour freight lift which works fine. I've just been using the original clamp that came with it. Ride up to the stop plate, put side stand down, get off bike & put on centerstand. Then screw clamp down. The chock would be a lot easier/safer if the wheel remains in the chock.

Only if you have two helpers to lift the rear as you put down the centerstand. I like a wheel chock (and have a Baxley) but that is the only short coming of using one, getting the centerstand down while you are in it.
Also it lifts the front wheel up a bit and when you do get the centerstand down there is often no clearance at the rear wheel.
From the looks of the video it appears the HF chock is less of a lifting impact on the front wheel as compared to the Baxley. I may just get one for my lift and keep the Baxley for trailer use.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Sep 19th, 2010 at 11:22 am.
post #21 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 3:41 pm

I never put the bike on the center stand when it's on the lift. I have an '01 and I don't think would want to try to manually put it on the stand when on the lift. If I have to lift the rear wheel off the lift surface I just use a little miniature floor jack with a piece of wood under the frame to lift the rear tire. There is a little trap door that can be removed from the deck which leaves the tire suspended in mid air. Easy to remove and the bike is solid on the lift. When I use the jack to lift the bike I ALWAYS use a couple ties to keep the front wheel in the chock.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #22 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Interesting discussion. I guess I have been flirting with disaster. I have the 1200lb Harbor Freight unit with side and ramp extensions. I rid 'er up onto it and take the front tire to the stop/chock. The hairy part is tiptoeing off without anything but balance, then rock 'er up on the centerstand. I admit that it's a tad nerveracking getting off the bike this way, but I've gotten used to it. Once on the center stand, I clamp the front tire and do whatever.

To work on the front tire I use a floor jack under the engine, AND use a strap to insure the centerstand doesn't collapse by cinching it forward and the bike frame rearward.

I'm more than a little disappointed in the lift, as it appears the air o-ring(s) are already partially failed and leaking air after one year. Harbor Freight wasn't at all interested in my issue. Guess I'll break it down and fix it myself, but what a hassle.

Great video, by the way. Wish I knew how to do that.

Bill MacDonald
Redmond, WA

'99 LT "Luther"

'03 Aprilia Tuono "Thunder"
'09 K1300S "Rufus II"

"The more I learn, the less I know"
post #23 of 31 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Thanks John/Guys. I installed a 3/8 eyebolt on each rear corner & use straps to steady her with the front tire in the clamp. Just feels better for me that way. The reason I like it on the center stand is whenever I do have it on the lift, I usually check the tire pressure & clean the bike while its on there. Wheels and underside is much easier to clean on the lift. I use a little hydraulic jack & board to raise the front tire like many others do.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #24 of 31 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 7:03 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1635SMR
I found this on the web for around 900.00.
Is this the same lift you guys are talking about?

http://www.oncycles.com/catalog.asp?r=1&pn=MCS00161
That is it but is the lift only. Also it is only 24 x 80 so you need the side extensions or you are left to making your own.

After years of using a lift that is just there and ready to go has me spoiled. Also parking on it conserves what little space I have in the carport.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #25 of 31 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairpin
Interesting discussion. I guess I have been flirting with disaster. I have the 1200lb Harbor Freight unit with side and ramp extensions. I rid 'er up onto it and take the front tire to the stop/chock. The hairy part is tiptoeing off without anything but balance, then rock 'er up on the centerstand. I admit that it's a tad nerveracking getting off the bike this way, but I've gotten used to it. Once on the center stand, I clamp the front tire and do whatever.

To work on the front tire I use a floor jack under the engine, AND use a strap to insure the centerstand doesn't collapse by cinching it forward and the bike frame rearward.

I'm more than a little disappointed in the lift, as it appears the air o-ring(s) are already partially failed and leaking air after one year. Harbor Freight wasn't at all interested in my issue. Guess I'll break it down and fix it myself, but what a hassle.

Great video, by the way. Wish I knew how to do that.
Thanks for that input Bill. Lee (LAF) has got me interested in the "Direct Lift" from Greg Smith. Looks more robust and they advertise that they service their equipment and have all parts readily available. I am a bit cautious about Harbor Freight to be used on something as big and heavy as our LTs.

Question, what procedure do you use to get the bike OFF the center stand? From all I can read here, I think that I would NOT use the manual center stand but use a jack and I like Loren's idea of the front tire chock.

Yes this is an interesting discussion for me as well, Very informative and a lot of food for thought. Thanks to all for all the input and the PMs.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #26 of 31 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:52 am

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcy...FZNg2godzjyZHg

I have a "viking" lift... yeah.. goes with the Avatar...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #27 of 31 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 10:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
http://www.discountramps.com/motorcy...FZNg2godzjyZHg

I have a "viking" lift... yeah.. goes with the Avatar...
That's tempting Channing. I have been considering the Panther lift. Partly because it
is available in the DFW area. no shipping.

http://www.pantherlifts.com/Panther/...=4&prevstart=0

dan
post #28 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 7:10 am Thread Starter

Well I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a lift from the place Lee, LAF suggested.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Di...tpprocycle.htm

I suppose that I could have hitched up my trailer and driven up to Delaware to pick it up, but they are shipping it for $165 and saves me the time and hasell . A friend who has an auto service business and a fork lift said I could ship it to his shop and he will load it on my trailer. Since it is going to a commercial address, the cost was lower.

I am looking forward to getting the lift and the 1st thing I am going to do is build side extensions and then try the LT for fit. Since I have done almost all the servicing to the LT, I really don't need the lift yet, however, I have a nice pile of fire wood for the wood stove in the shop and am getting ready for some winter projects. I feel like a squirrel! I think the first project I will attempt is the weep hole for the clutch. I downloaded the videos and it appears to be doable.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #29 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 8:08 am

Congratulations on your purchase! Once you get it customized to your specs you are going to HATE yourself for waiting so long to take the plunge. There are very good reasons why the dealers use 'em.

I welded angle iron to mine to support 2X10 boards that go up and down with the lift but before I slobbered the angle to the lift I screwed some short 4X4 legs to the 2X10's and left them on the floor beside the lift. This was very simple to build and worked very well. Just not as convenient as having the boards attached to the lift. I got to the point where I would just ride onto the ramp without using them. PM me for a pic if you would like to see them in this config.

After you get done hating yourself for waiting you are going to love having the lift!

Loren

Quote:
Well I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a lift from the place Lee, LAF suggested.

I suppose that I could have hitched up my trailer and driven up to Delaware to pick it up, but they are shipping it for $165 and saves me the time and hasell . A friend who has an auto service business and a fork lift said I could ship it to his shop and he will load it on my trailer. Since it is going to a commercial address, the cost was lower.

I am looking forward to getting the lift and the 1st thing I am going to do is build side extensions and then try the LT for fit. Since I have done almost all the servicing to the LT, I really don't need the lift yet, however, I have a nice pile of fire wood for the wood stove in the shop and am getting ready for some winter projects. I feel like a squirrel! I think the first project I will attempt is the weep hole for the clutch. I downloaded the videos and it appears to be doable.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #30 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 8:28 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

You will not be disappointed with this lift. It is a very heavy duty piece of equipment. I have used the Condor chock on it and it holds the bike solid as a rock. The problem as mentioned is using the center stand. I finally got comfortable enough to use no chock, the center stand and two straps to eye bolts I put on the lift. I really only used them if I was cranking on something.

You will love it though and it is an old back saver for sure.

Enjoy it and be safe until you get used to it.

Quote:

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #31 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Hi there I have a "Big Blue" motor bike lift that I use on my LT, they come with an adaptor kit for the LT have a look at the link http://www.on-bike.com/products_bigblue.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in