Cracked Trunk Latch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Cracked Trunk Latch

Just noticed the other day that my trunk latch is cracked in the top right corner.

I've read posts about the repair kit available , but my question is, is this repairable or does it need to be replaced? It still functions properly; no issues closing or locking.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Re: Cracked Trunk Latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
Just noticed the other day that my trunk latch is cracked in the top right corner.

I've read posts about the repair kit available , but my question is, is this repairable or does it need to be replaced? It still functions properly; no issues closing or locking.

mine did the same thing,,,i took that side pin out...trunk closes fine and no water gets in..this winter i may try to fix it so it dont look broken but i wont put that side pin back in
post #3 of 38 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Wink Re: Cracked Trunk Latch

As was already mentioned, you WILL want to remove the pin for the right side latch!!! If you do not, it will eventually not disengage when you go to open the trunk and it will be a bear to get open then! I had the samething happen at CCR and John Z thankfully reminded me to remove the respective pin so as to not get stuck on the way home!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 7:29 pm

geeze, the same thing happened to my 03 during the CCR trip.
All these failing at the same time?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 38 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 9:36 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I cut both of my pin's down to .130 in diameter where the latch closes on them & it closes nice & easy. I use my top case rack all the time for transporting things and didn't want just one latch holding the top down.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 38 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 11:13 pm

If I had known about this sooner, I would have filed down my own before I got the SAME THING.

I complained about this when I first joined, stating that this is a blatant design flaw. You don't integrate the mechanics of something into the exterior facade, that's stupid and flawed, like this latch design.

I took mine off and didn't bother replacing it. I have a different locking mechanism which is hidden now.

post #7 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 5:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I cut both of my pin's down to .130 in diameter where the latch closes on them & it closes nice & easy. I use my top case rack all the time for transporting things and didn't want just one latch holding the top down.
How did you go about this? Using a Dremel, etc.?

My latch on my newly acquired '05 is hard to "latch" - when I found out about the "fix it before it breaks" kit I emailed the person to inquire about obtaining one but never heard back from him.
post #8 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
mine did the same thing,,,i took that side pin out...trunk closes fine and no water gets in..this winter i may try to fix it so it dont look broken but i wont put that side pin back in
Lenny, how did you get it out? Also, this sounds like a temporary solution. How long have you had yours with the pin out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
As was already mentioned, you WILL want to remove the pin for the right side latch!!! If you do not, it will eventually not disengage when you go to open the trunk and it will be a bear to get open then! I had the samething happen at CCR and John Z thankfully reminded me to remove the respective pin so as to not get stuck on the way home!

John
How secure is the latch with only one pin?
Quote:
Saddleman, What did cutting the pins down accomplish? Does it not still use the same hinges? Did you reinforce anything in any way?

Ray "Razman"

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #9 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 8:54 am

Wink Re: Cracked Trunk Latch

I have ridden around (unaware!) with my trunk latch not even closed and there was no indication of any problem. Unless you are high speed or hit some serious bumps I don't think it will even move. And for a couple of your questions, see below:

"How do you remove the pin?" All you need to do is remove a small Circlip on one end of the respective pin.

"Is it secure with just one pin?" Yes! Especially if you have a rack bag on top of it. We rode from Vermont to here (Portland Oregon) with only one pin. No probs!

I have my order in for the better engineered latch from Evan at
http://www.lttrunklatch.com/.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 11:01 am

Dave, some of us don't have a lathe (or the ability to use one if we had one) so I have been trying to think of an alternative to "pin trimming".

What would happen if the original pin was removed and replaced with a similar (or maybe smaller sized) piece of brass wire. The wire, being so much softer than steel, would bend at the point where the arms grab the pins and allow the latch to secure on both sides but with minimal downward pull against the latch.

The brass would bend into the shape of a flying V.

Loren

Quote:

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling1
How did you go about this? Using a Dremel, etc.?

My latch on my newly acquired '05 is hard to "latch" - when I found out about the "fix it before it breaks" kit I emailed the person to inquire about obtaining one but never heard back from him.
take a pin out and see how it closes than try the other side. what ever pin is easier to have in and close with no effert,,leave the other out...yhere will be no ill effects
post #12 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Mine cracked just before leaving on a cross country trip. LTLATCH.COM came to my rescue in short order. The replacement comes with very clear, easy to understand, instructions. My advice, for what it's worth: replace it!
post #13 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawretj
Mine cracked just before leaving on a cross country trip. LTLATCH.COM came to my rescue in short order. The replacement comes with very clear, easy to understand, instructions. My advice, for what it's worth: replace it!
Ordered mine last week. Hope it comes soon.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #14 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 5:50 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I turned the pin with the most wear down on a lath until the wear marks where gone. That's how I ended up at .130. The reason removing one pin won't work for me is because I use my top rack all the time to haul things as much as 50 or 60 lbs. My LT is my only vehicle. I haul crankshafts & up to 7 sets of connecting rods at a time for work. With only one pin I am worried the top could open up on one corner under hard braking. It sure does close easy with the pins cut down & is still waterproof.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 38 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 9:59 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

If you have a Blue 07 color bike I will sell you the whole top case with the fix it before it breaks kit installed, kicker speakers and all three RKA bag liners for 400 plus shipping!

It is as new.

Shameless Plug!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #16 of 38 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 7:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ray "Razman"

post #17 of 38 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 10:38 am

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but before you close the latch, push down on the top case to compress the weatherstrip. Makes it easier to close.

By the way, I hardly ever latch mine as the weight seems to be enough to keep it closed.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 38 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Re: Cracked Trunk Latch -- problem with lttrunklatch.com order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
I have ridden around (unaware!) with my trunk latch not even closed and there was no indication of any problem. Unless you are high speed or hit some serious bumps I don't think it will even move. And for a couple of your questions, see below:

"How do you remove the pin?" All you need to do is remove a small Circlip on one end of the respective pin.

"Is it secure with just one pin?" Yes! Especially if you have a rack bag on top of it. We rode from Vermont to here (Portland Oregon) with only one pin. No probs!

I have my order in for the better engineered latch from Evan at
http://www.lttrunklatch.com/.

John
John (and others),

Have you had any luck with lttrunklatch.com? I sent in my order 20 days ago and have heard NOTHING back from Evan. I also sent an email about 10 days ago asking what was the status -- no response.

Does anybody know if this guy is honest? Is he still in business? Does he just work on his own schedule? Can I count on getting the latch or should I open a transaction dispute with PayPal (I have only 45 days from the date the order was placed)?

Thanks for any feedback. I certainly hope that Evan is honest and that his repair kit is for real, because I was really looking forward to getting his kit.
post #19 of 38 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I sent an email to Evan about three weeks ago and he very promptly responded. I had inquired about the "Fix it Before it Breaks" unit; the website states out of stock. Evan said that the machine used to make the units was down and needed repairs but that he would be definitely making additional kits. He stated that it would be at least a couple of months but to keep checking the website. Don't know if this helps but may give you some additional information.
post #20 of 38 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmac
John (and others),

Have you had any luck with lttrunklatch.com? I sent in my order 20 days ago and have heard NOTHING back from Evan. I also sent an email about 10 days ago asking what was the status -- no response.

Does anybody know if this guy is honest? Is he still in business? Does he just work on his own schedule? Can I count on getting the latch or should I open a transaction dispute with PayPal (I have only 45 days from the date the order was placed)?

Thanks for any feedback. I certainly hope that Evan is honest and that his repair kit is for real, because I was really looking forward to getting his kit.
Mr. Carpenter,

I sent you a detailed email on September 29th, and another last Sunday morning, October 10th. Apparently the email address that you used with PayPal during the order process isn't an email address that you frequently use. If you check that email address, there are likely 2 emails from me waiting for you. Machine shold be running late Thursday. I did ship 6 units that I repainted from the Silver-Gold (post 2005) last week. It just KILLED me to repaint them, as I had a lot of work in those 6. But I had clients waiting and repainted all that I had to matte black. Yours was the next on the list, for which I had no inventory. This problem will soon be resolved.

Sorry for the delay!

Best,
Evan Guy
post #21 of 38 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Quote:
John (and others),

Check out the other thread.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57655
Your patience will be rewarded.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #22 of 38 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Quote:
John (and others),

Folks,

Here is a followup. I just heard back from Evan. He had a problem with his CNC machine, but says that he should have it working again in a couple of days.

Now that I know he really exists and that my kit is in the queue, I am much more relaxed and a lot happier.
post #23 of 38 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Wink Re: Cracked Trunk Latch -- problem with lttrunklatch.com order

Quote:
John (and others),

Like others have said, be patient Bill! Mine was over a month in getting to me, but I did not fret because I had read on this site about the quality of Evan's product. And I am overjoyed with the result!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #24 of 38 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Same here ...I ordered the fix it before it breaks.....great product easy to follow instructions and the workmanship on his product is absolutely superb....better than BMW ever thought about doing. So hang in there you will be pleased with the product when you get it!

The only place where dreams are impossible
is in your own mind.

2005 BMW 1200Lt
2002 Honda 954rr
1996 Honda F3 600 (Stolen)

1986 Honda 1000RR (wrecked by best friend)

1982 Yamaha 600 (sold to buy the 1000)
post #25 of 38 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Hey guys, can anyone tell me if this is an issue for later model LT's. It seems from looking at the age of the bikes that the latch problem has not been an issue for anything say post '07.

Ulysses # 55973
post #26 of 38 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_bob
Hey guys, can anyone tell me if this is an issue for later model LT's. It seems from looking at the age of the bikes that the latch problem has not been an issue for anything say post '07.
mine took seven years to crack. So you're good until 2014

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #27 of 38 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Talking Re: Cracked Trunk Latch

Quote:
Mine lasted longer than Michael's did: 9 years of touring before the crack happened! So you may even be good beyond 2014! But I would think seriously about getting the "Fix it before it Breaks" kit anyway. Wished that I had, but what I have now is way better than the original, so we're happy!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #28 of 38 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 6:20 am

Quote:
The only difference is the addition of the optional CLS (central locking system) that occurred in 2005. The structure of the Latch Handle is identical for all years.
post #29 of 38 Old Nov 19th, 2010, 3:24 pm

My turn, K12LT 2001, it took 9 years to break, just realized this afternoon...

Leo

K1200LT 01, active
Yamaha VSTAR 650 00, sold
Goldwing GL1200 92, sold
Yamaha Virago XV1000 85, sold
Yamaha Special XS850 80, sold
Suzuki TS100 76, driven to the ground
post #30 of 38 Old Nov 20th, 2010, 10:48 pm
cws

Garage

...and another... 5 years for me, but its the LH side.. just starting to crack.
Bugger.
I can't quite tell though whether this is connected to the arm behind or above it... but I guess I"m up for the replacement too....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #31 of 38 Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
...and another... 5 years for me, but its the LH side.. just starting to crack.
Bugger.
I can't quite tell though whether this is connected to the arm behind or above it... but I guess I"m up for the replacement too....

take that side latch pin out,the other side will hold just fine
post #32 of 38 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 3:53 pm

Any idea when LTTrunkLatch.com will have the "before it breaks" kit available again?

2005 K1200LT
post #33 of 38 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 12:56 pm

I put on a fix it b4 it breaks a coupla' month ago. It is a beautifully make kit and looks bulletproof.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #34 of 38 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:37 pm

The "Fix It Before It Breaks" Kits ARE going to be produced soon! Only now do I have the Mazak Integrex (the machine that builds that kit) apart for major maintenance. The machine is UNBELIEVABLY complex in the area of the B-axis turret and the milling motor spindle bearings. I've spent over $1200 on seals, alone! But it's all in the works!

I'm a one-person shop with no shortage of stuff filling my days! It's surely in my best interest to have my machines operational.

Thanks,
Evan Guy
post #35 of 38 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 7:08 pm

MY 2000 LT has never cracked, now that I said it, hope is will not.

When I got the bike the latches felt rough when opening and closing.

The first thing I did was to file the under side of the hook, this helped.

There some here, said to polish the pins. I then did this and have never had a problem.

This should be done my anybody that has a hard to open latch.

Semper Fi

George
aka MTHelmet
post #36 of 38 Old Dec 13th, 2010, 2:18 am
cws

Garage

Installed my replacement latch today. Nice work by Evan, it looks pretty tough.
Another fiddly job out of the way, and hopefully another part I won't have to worry about again!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #37 of 38 Old Dec 18th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Inherited a 2000 model w/ crack on top rt side. Couldn't wait for the LTTrunkLatch & couldn't see buying the same design flaw from BMW. Took the latch off--a simple job. (Why doesn't BMW offer the latch as a separate part? You have to buy the whole trunk!)

Reinforced the corner w/ fiberglass. Since the corner was broken off, it took a couple of mis-starts to determine the best fix. Finally laid about 4 layers of glass over the face of the latch besides reinforcing the back corners. The top 1/3 of latch face is slightly thicker because of the layers of fiberglass on the surface, but sanded & painted, it looks quite fine.

Total cost of repair: $0. I had the glass left over from previous project. A few hours work, but vastly superior to original.

N.B.: Compressing the seal by leaning on the trunk lid before opening or closing latch reduces the strain on the latch corners. Suggest you get in the habit. Just lean your elbow on it as you open or close.
post #38 of 38 Old Dec 19th, 2010, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmellor
Inherited a 2000 model w/ crack on top rt side. Couldn't wait for the LTTrunkLatch & couldn't see buying the same design flaw from BMW. Took the latch off--a simple job. (Why doesn't BMW offer the latch as a separate part? You have to buy the whole trunk!)

Reinforced the corner w/ fiberglass. Since the corner was broken off, it took a couple of mis-starts to determine the best fix. Finally laid about 4 layers of glass over the face of the latch besides reinforcing the back corners. The top 1/3 of latch face is slightly thicker because of the layers of fiberglass on the surface, but sanded & painted, it looks quite fine.

Total cost of repair: $0. I had the glass left over from previous project. A few hours work, but vastly superior to original.

N.B.: Compressing the seal by leaning on the trunk lid before opening or closing latch reduces the strain on the latch corners. Suggest you get in the habit. Just lean your elbow on it as you open or close.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in