Engine Pinking - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Engine Pinking

Hi, I'm new here and new to BMW. Just bought an "08" LT and notice that when going up thru the gears, i can hear a metallic sound, a bit like the timing may be advanced or retarded or the wrong fuel is in there. It goes when in top gear above about 60mph. Met a guy with one last night and he said his does it and it's because they are run very lean. It is under warranty, but just thought you'd probably have some ideas. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 9:40 am

Re: Engine Pinking

Put some premium in it and see if it goes away.. She likes the good stuff...

The LT engine is a noisy little bugger...injectors, timing chain, lots of things make noise..

The LT runs rich, not lean...When you open the throttle WFO you should see some black smoke from the tailpipe..."Ring" the header with a rubber hammer.. You may have a broken stud or two... Or a crack...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 11:39 am

what octane are you using?

post #4 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Turn up the stereo and "ride it like you stoled it!"

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. Did put in higher octaine fuel today. Will report back. I think the biggest problem I'm gonna have is finding a dealer i can trust. Got the technician from a BMW dealer test ride it today to see if he could hear it - he couldn't but came back telling me it had an oil leak and the rear bearing needed adjusting - neither of which was true......so there's another dealer i will now try. So far I'm not impressed!
post #6 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 1:36 pm

If by 'rear bearing' he is referring to the final drive bearing he might be on to something. The oil leak should be visible if it has one. Did he show you the leak?

Just thought of something. Maybe he has noticed a small leak in the final drive seal. Which would likely mean the FD bearing might be failing.

You need to find out if this is what he is referring to before you find yourself parked along side the road waiting for a truck to get you home.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecol
Thanks. Did put in higher octaine fuel today. Will report back. I think the biggest problem I'm gonna have is finding a dealer i can trust. Got the technician from a BMW dealer test ride it today to see if he could hear it - he couldn't but came back telling me it had an oil leak and the rear bearing needed adjusting - neither of which was true......so there's another dealer i will now try. So far I'm not impressed!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Just thought of something. Maybe he has noticed a small leak in the final drive seal. Which would likely mean the FD bearing might be failing.

Loren
Or maybe just the seals as I experienced while at CCR in SD last year. The bearing did not fail and the dealer just replaced the seals.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Hi, I'm new here and new to BMW. Just bought an "08" LT and notice that when going up thru the gears, i can hear a metallic sound, a bit like the timing may be advanced or retarded or the wrong fuel is in there. It goes when in top gear above about 60mph. Met a guy with one last night and he said his does it and it's because they are run very lean. It is under warranty, but just thought you'd probably have some ideas. Thanks in advance.
It you upshift too soon at too low of rpm and apply heavy throttle it will rattle like a snake. Keep the RPMs up above 3500. LT really likes 5k. Try hitting the throttle at 4500 and see how fast and smooth you get to 6000 rpm.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #9 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Michael's advice is sound. I'm used to my Magna shifting smoothly at low RPMs and so it's an adjustment for me to go higher, especially in traffic. Thanks to the advice on this forum, the results are evident.

Good luck with that reputable dealer thing.

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #10 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

The rear bearing isn't final drive!! I found another dealer who said the oil is from a rocker cover gasket, which isn't covered by warrenty. He said it was so minor that it'd wait till it's next big service. I'm gonna clean all the oil off as I'm thinking this isn't fresh oil.
Thanks for the advice re the revs. I'm used to low revving v-twins and perhaps I'm being too cautious as if I give it more revs, it feels like I'm thrashing it. But I will give it a go and report back. So should I be riding it more like a sports bike than my old v-twins?
post #11 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Yup! More like the sport bike than the V-twin! Huge difference in performance. Kind of puts the Yee Haw into the ride!

Loren

Quote:
The rear bearing isn't final drive!! I found another dealer who said the oil is from a rocker cover gasket, which isn't covered by warrenty. He said it was so minor that it'd wait till it's next big service. I'm gonna clean all the oil off as I'm thinking this isn't fresh oil.
Thanks for the advice re the revs. I'm used to low revving v-twins and perhaps I'm being too cautious as if I give it more revs, it feels like I'm thrashing it. But I will give it a go and report back. So should I be riding it more like a sports bike than my old v-twins?

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2010, 1:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you have oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket there is only two things that cause that. 1. Missing the tightening of the bolt in behind the spark plug cover. 2. Not enough sealant applied to the half moons and the joint where the timing cover meets the head. Both are a direct result of improper reinstallation following a 12K valve check. Easy enough to fix. Just don't over tighten the bolts as they bottom out by design and the rubber under the heads does the sealing. Very easy to strip out so just "snug "them up (9Nm).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 11:51 am Thread Starter

So. no difference to the pinking no matter how I ride. Read lots about this issue and BMW engines. The local dealer says all BMW's do it. However BMW say on a fault report for R1100's, that an engine shouldn't do it. It can lead to serious damage. Have tried the FI reset, still no difference. I think the problem will be getting BMW to fix under warrenty. If any of you have any links to any more info on this, I'd really appreciate it, so I can give it to the dealer to reinforce my case. I also spoke to an ex- BMW technician who works for himself now. He also says they should not pink. So watch this space!
post #14 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 1:21 pm

OK, I'm the dummy here. Is he talking about the engine pinging? What does pinking mean?
post #15 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
It you upshift too soon at too low of rpm and apply heavy throttle it will rattle like a snake. Keep the RPMs up above 3500. LT really likes 5k. Try hitting the throttle at 4500 and see how fast and smooth you get to 6000 rpm.
I'm just correcting a couple of typos you made above. I know you really meant 6,000 rather than 4,500 and 8,000 rather than 6,000. I realize this is an easy mistake to make!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #16 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44
OK, I'm the dummy here. Is he talking about the engine pinging? What does pinking mean?
I assumed it was just a typo originally, but since it was repeated in a recent message, I now believe the OP doesn't know that the term is pinging rather than pinking.

If my LT ever turns pink, it is outta here!!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #17 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I'm just correcting a couple of typos you made above. I know you really meant 6,000 rather than 4,500 and 8,000 rather than 6,000. I realize this is an easy mistake to make!
Well, I was trying to keep him 'kind of' legal.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in