Isle of man TT races - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2010, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Isle of man TT races

Has anyone rode the TT course on a LT? I wasn't sure where to post this but figured this has the most exposure and could get the most responses. I've been watching the TT races on HD Theater channel ( if you don't have this channel ask your cable or satellite provider) I saw the practice rounds and it looked like they let the public out to take a lap on Sundays. Have any of our UK brothers rode it? If I ever hit the Lotto this would be on the bucket list for me.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2010, 1:24 pm

Re: Isle of man TT races

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymarks
Has anyone rode the TT course on a LT? I wasn't sure where to post this but figured this has the most exposure and could get the most responses. I've been watching the TT races on HD Theater channel ( if you don't have this channel ask your cable or satellite provider) I saw the practice rounds and it looked like they let the public out to take a lap on Sundays. Have any of our UK brothers rode it? If I ever hit the Lotto this would be on the bucket list for me.
i love watching them race..those guys get all my respect
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2010, 1:38 pm

I watch those guys get all out of shape, bike squirreling around and shaking, and everybody goes nuts. I don't know what the big deal is. They have to hit 160 MPH to do it, and I can get my Harley to do it at 40!

Seriously, those guys and gals are amazing. More guts than I have.

Raymark, if you hit the lottery, take me with you?

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2010, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
i love watching them race..those guys get all my respect
Me too. These guys have quite a pair of ...eer attatchments. Kinda makes you wonder how they stay seated.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2010, 7:08 pm

They make the Moto GP guys look wussy. Kinda like comparing Indy Car to F1. In other words no comparison. I am in awe, and my butt cheeks clinch up every time I see the high speed slow mo when their bikes leave the ground and land off balance....

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2010, 7:51 pm

When I first watched 1-up bike races I thought they were the most insane people ever! Until the other day when I saw TWO people doing the same thing. When you are sitting on the left of the driver and in a turn you are now leaning on the right side of the driver, you need to SLOW down!!! :
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 6:20 am

Haven't been to/road the TT route (YET!) but have been to it's little brother, the Northwest 200 in Northern Ireland a couple times and done the route many times in rental cars and a couple times on a bike.

I, too, have been taking it in HD (thanks to Uverse) and loving it! Going those speeds, in the rain, with barbed wire and jagged rock walls to break your fall, not to mention small critters crossing the roads... it's racing the way it should be. Then you bring in the guys racing side-hacks - absolutely insane!!!!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 7:25 am

Last year Valentino Rossi was there watching. He took a lap along with another rider and was basically shaking his head in disbelief watching some of it. Yes, makes MOTO GP very tame.

They asked Rossi if he would ever race the TT, don't remember his answer, but basically it was NO!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 3:22 pm

I did a tour of the Isle of Man with the band I was in during TT week a few years back. Was hoping to take the bike, but at the last moment I was seconded to drive the van.
VERY glad I left the bike.
The ferry is MAD - not only is it very expensive, the way they 'look after' your bike, basically trashes it.
They rope 5 bikes deep against a metal rail in the ferry, plastic bits getting cracked and scratched.
But as they say, if you are nuts enough to ride Mad Sunday, the small scratches are the least of your worries.
I met a guy whose main income comes from repatriating DEAD tourists!
YOU may be a good rider, but most of the other lot on mad Sunday wont be.
As to watching the pro racers, even the best die: 231 deaths on the track so far, 4 this year alone.
I wouldn't watch the racing, I was there to sing. Most of the crowd seemed to be a bit blood thirsty, just advising people where the best place to see the crashes would be.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in