BMW owner groups (IE, BMWMOA) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

BMW owner groups (IE, BMWMOA)

As some of you might know I'm a new owner of a '03 K1200LT Custom.

In my owners manual bag, was a '09 BMW Owners Anonymous book. I was suprised that there was a few more BMW owners in my town than I knew of (Houma, La., I only know of three us). I did some research and searches on the BMWMOA and it seems to well worth the $40 dollars a year.

Granted I currently rarely go farther than 100 or so miles from the house. Don't laugh, as a V-Max owner and having to fill up every 100miles, I always kept my trips closer to home. Starting to travel a bit further with this comfortable big girl.

With my Blackberry always present, I always have access to my favorite resouce (BMWLT.com).

I just want some Pros/Cons of BMWMOA, BMWRA and various other groups.

And for you BMWMOA members, I know the book isn't supposed to be given to non-members. I simple keep it in my saddlebag for emergency situations.

James Scott

'07 V-Max
'03 K1200LT Custom now with 2 straight weeks (out of 4) without setting her on the right side backing up. (Thank god for the Black front bumper!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 6:02 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: BMW owner groups (IE, BMWMOA)

I've had a BMW for about 6 years & have been a BMWMOA member the same. If only for the Anonymous Book alone the price is worth it. Also the Owners News is a great mag.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 6:19 pm

BMW owners in my town than I knew of (Houma, La., I only know of three us)

I am in Walker, La. Was down your way a few weeks ago, 6 hour round trip taking the back roads. If you plan on getting up near Baton Rouge let me know I will go meet you.

1982 Suzuki SP500 (traded)
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
1998 Honda Shadow 750 (traded)
2000 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado (sold)
2007 BMW K1200LT (son will inherit)

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 6:26 pm

I've been a member of BMWON for as long as I've owned the bike and do it mostly for the magazine.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Post Re: BMW owner groups (IE, BMWMOA)

Personally I am a bit disappointed with the BMWOA magazine. There seems to be mostly articles and photos of people I don't know who keep patting themselves on the back for a job well some at some function, and the tech articles seem to revolve around airheads, which does me absolutely no good. These people also like CAMPING! I do however enjoy reading the tours in foreign lands.
In all I get more more from this forum and it better fits my lifestyle because of the bike I ride and the type of riding I do. I also made many friends here over the years, attended 3 CCRs (NOT camping, no sirree! ), several tech sessions, and learned a great deal from the master brains of this community. YMMV!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Personally I am a bit disappointed with the BMWOA magazine. There seems to be mostly articles and photos of people I don't know who keep patting themselves on the back for a job well some at some function, and the tech articles seem to revolve around airheads, which does me absolutely no good. These people also like CAMPING! I do however enjoy reading the tours in foreign lands.
In all I get more more from this forum and it better fits my lifestyle because of the bike I ride and the type of riding I do. I also made many friends here over the years, attended 3 CCRs (NOT camping, no sirree! ), several tech sessions, and learned a great deal from the master brains of this community. YMMV!
+1 what he said...

Only, I don't know about the foreign thing... Unless I win the lottery, I'm not going anywhere near those places... and living vicariously thru those writers is not my idea of a tour. Besides, the good ol' U.S of A. has plenty 'o' sites I never seen yet and there's a lot of guys on the forum I haven't shaken hands with... yet!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #7 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I've been a member of BMWON for as long as I've owned the bike and do it mostly for the magazine.
Read it cover to cover. Nice to see your contribution (that Dick already commented on) in the last issue. Keep it up Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
For each of us different things matter. I think all that's been written about is well done. May not mean a lot to me, but sometimes things change. Never really thought I'd own an airhead, but I do and can't read enough about 'em. Just like the LT, there's not enough written about 'em. As long as it's all good, I can pick and choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
+1 what he said...

Only, I don't know about the foreign thing... Unless I win the lottery, I'm not going anywhere near those places... and living vicariously thru those writers is not my idea of a tour. Besides, the good ol' U.S of A. has plenty 'o' sites I never seen yet and there's a lot of guys on the forum I haven't shaken hands with... yet!
Why would you want to live vicariously through anyone, let alone because they wrote about it? I'll toast to not seeing enough of the US and meeting lots of folks on this forum. I do, vividly remember my only riding experience outside our border. Belarus in 1995. May never happen again.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 8:17 pm

I'm a 25 year member of BMWMOA and a 20 year member of BMWRA. Two very different organizations but both with their strengths.

I enjoy rallies and camping but both clubs offer something for everyone.
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 8:35 pm

I don't mean to hijack the thread but it's along the same lines.

Is there a BMW group that offers towing with your membership? If not, what's the most popular org. that tows bikes?

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Long time MOA member (#32,806). Also belonged to the RA for a while.

The long-serving editor of the RA newsletter is gone. a bit sharp-tongued, but very inciteful and a, at times, just a hoot to read. His replacement is heavily racing focussed -- interesting, but not my primary interest. The RA mag no longer has much of interest to me.

In contrast, the MOA Owners News is one of the most content-rich, professionally-produced "club" magazines I've ever seen. Sandy Cohen (now with BMW Magazine, a German-based BMW rag with some good stuff and a high-quality product) did a terrific job turning the MOAON into a first-class mag, and Vince (her replacement) seems to be carrying on/maintaining the quality.

I've let my RA membership lapse.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
Is there a BMW group that offers towing with your membership? If not, what's the most popular org. that tows bikes?
With the BMWMOA membership you can pay an additional $26 to cover towing etc, details at http://www.bmwmoa.org/club/membershi...ounts_upgrades

I have that but have never had to use it.

Dave

2008 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
2004 K1200RS Capri Blue

post #12 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 9:05 pm

I thoroughly enjoy the BMW MOA rallies. I've been to the last 5 - the more that you attend the more people you get to know and the more enjoyable they become. (CCR has the same atmosphere but I've only been to 1 of those).

I have my contact info in the Anonymous book, but have never been called and have never had to call anyone.

I've written articles for the MOA ON magazine but not had them published - one made it onto the MOA website. I have had a number of photographs published in it, including the cover of the October 09 issue. Obviously I like the magazine, but don't necessarily read it cover to cover. It has a lot of info about upcoming rallies, including a map to show roughly where they are being held. A recent issue had an interview with the VP responsible for BMW Motorrad in the USA. There are a variety of articles each month. It is worth the $40 per year membership fee.

Dave

2008 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
2004 K1200RS Capri Blue

post #13 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I've had a BMW for about 6 years & have been a BMWMOA member the same. If only for the Anonymous Book alone the price is worth it. Also the Owners News is a great mag.
Plus one on what he said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in