A Hello and some questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

A Hello and some questions

Hi,
New member here from Austin, TX. I suppose some history is in order. I've been riding for about 40 years and have owned a wide range of bikes but never a BMW. I've heard all the legends about reliability, etc and wonder how many are true? I had heard all the stories about Harley Davidson being poorly made and that turned out to be false. My current ride is a 2009 Road King and I have no complaints at all. The bike I put the most miles on was a 1974 Moto Guzzi El Dorado Police Edition. When I bought it there were 36K miles on the clock. I sold it when there were 138K on it and was still running on the original motor.

Here's my questions. My local dealer, Lone Star BMS-Triumph, had two used bikes I'm considering. One is a 2007 K1200GT and the other is a 2004 K1200LT. The LT has the most miles on it at circa 43K. How different are these bikes? My wife and I often do all day trips on the Road King and will be doing the same if I get a Beemer. How different is the comfort level between the GT & LT? Do BMW's actually last 100K miles if maintained? Any special problems I should be aware of? I noticed a post about the LT being top heavy. Can anyone compare that to a Harley Road King? I took a police motor officer course decades ago. I'm not as young as I used to be but I still take pride in my ability to manuever my HD at slow speeds. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Smile Re: A Hello and some questions

John;

The only question I can attest to is the miles. I do all the regular maintenance and just turned 184,000.One abs sensor,one brake line and one clutch slave cylinder. Worn out: suspension, seat, rear/front disc, driveshaft, and paint.(getting new paint now.)
There are many of us over 100k and a few over 200k and one over 300k.
Have fun, ride it like you stole it.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Re: A Hello and some questions

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I am sure more will answer that are better qualified than I, but as far as the GT and the LT, think of the GT as being a VROD, except the GT is hotter, and the LT as being the Electroglide. The LT is a top heavy bike, but once you are underway, it becomes nimble. If you are tooling around in a parking lot, it is unforgiving and is easily dropped. Usually, the tip-over wings will keep it from any damage, though. Many of us have dropped ours, me 2 times. If you are at least 5' 9", you should be able to manage fine. Riding two up, no doubt the LT will be the most comfortable. 43K miles is nothing on these bikes, just broken in. Yes, these bikes can easily get 100-200K miles on them. Maintenance is pricey if you pay the dealership, but I guess Harleys are expensive to have maintained, as well. Not so bad if you can do your own maintenance. The final drives and clutches seem to be problem areas. Both are expensive to replace, especially the clutch. There seems to be a problem with a seal leaking oil which, if it happens, can take out the clutch. Others can offer more input here. I bought my 2009 LT last year and it is a pleasure to ride. It is a great riding machine....

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 7:07 pm

The 2007 GT and 2004 LT are completely different animals, and share nothing. Completely different engine and drive trains. The LT is a great long distance machine, and 2 up is one of the best. The engine has seen it's last use though, and 2010 seems to be it's last breath.

The GT is a much higher performance machine, with about 70% more power. The bike is also lighter. Many will say that the LT is more comfortable for long distance, especially 2 up. The GT has a huge following too, and it's power and handling exceed that of the LT, but you would have to ride both to see how they fit your needs.

As already stated, 43K on the LT is just broken in good. Many have gone well over 200,000, and a couple over 300,000. The old "Brick" motor is a very reliable, long lasting engine. The LT problems are the clutch slave cylinder failures, and final drive failures. However, do not let that dissuade you from buying one, it is a fantastic ride, and CAN last you for years with few problems.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I know that test rides will tell me most of what I need to know about handling. I also knew getting some input from those more experienced with these bikes would be good as is having advanced knowledge of the questions to ask the dealer. I have to admit that I'm a little surprised at hearing about drive problems. My old Guzzi was a tank. A very fast tank but you couldn't hurt it with anything less than a sledge hammer it seemed. I'd always heard that Moto Guzzi was "almost as reliable as a BMW". More legends I guess.

Thanks,
John
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Hey John Welcome from another Austinite. As others have said a test ride will be your best way to see what bikes fit you best. Also take the wife & put her on back cause you know if MaMa aint happy etc etc. Talk to either Gary or Eric at Lone Star. Both are great guys, in fact the whole staff there can not be beat. Just make sure to take your helmets & a Jacket or you will not be allowed to take a test ride. As for dependability BMW like anything machanicial can break but there are many that have 100k plus trouble free miles. I have a 2000 with 66K (bought at lone Star with 13k 5 years ago) & just got back from Vermont a week ago. 4400 miles in 10 days with NO trouble.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Katnapinn,
Okay...I almost fell out of my chair. So they won't let me test ride without a helmet AND a jacket? I'm an old paramedic and cop and I never ride without my helmet. Even then it is a half helmet because of the heat and humidity around here. But a jacket? In this heat? I seriously think there should be a study done on the causal relationship between heat, jackets, and accidents. I've advocated for that for years and no one listens because the studies that get funding are about helmet use.

Anyway, thanks for the warning. I'm going to Lone Star tomorrow and I'll stuff my leather flight jacket into the saddlebag of the Harley.

John
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 6:05 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider51
Katnapinn,
Okay...I almost fell out of my chair. So they won't let me test ride without a helmet AND a jacket? I'm an old paramedic and cop and I never ride without my helmet. Even then it is a half helmet because of the heat and humidity around here. But a jacket? In this heat? I seriously think there should be a study done on the causal relationship between heat, jackets, and accidents. I've advocated for that for years and no one listens because the studies that get funding are about helmet use.

Anyway, thanks for the warning. I'm going to Lone Star tomorrow and I'll stuff my leather flight jacket into the saddlebag of the Harley.

John
The Jacket MAY NOT be required but the Helmet WILL Be.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 7:50 am Thread Starter

Thank you. Better to be prepared than have to ride all the way back to Oak Hill yo get one.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in