2 More Newbie questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 11:44 am Thread Starter

2 More Newbie questions

I'm sure that the answers are somwhere in the search function, but I didn't find what I was looking for, so here it is. Note : 2003 LTE 31,000 miles.

1/ Is it dangerous to ride with a cupped front tire. Yes it howls around corners, but is there a safety factor involved here? I've never experienced a cupped tire before.

2/ My rear brake is occasionally making noise (squeely? / howly), even when it is not actuated. The inside pad looks pretty thin and I am going to replace the pads ASAP, but could this be a sign of ABS (pump) problems? (It may be making noise all of the time, but I only hear it sometimes.)

Any info would be much appreciated to either set my mind at ease, or determine how much time/ money I am going to need. (lol)

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Re: 2 More Newbie questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuellertoo
I'm sure that the answers are somwhere in the search function, but I didn't find what I was looking for, so here it is. Note : 2003 LTE 31,000 miles.

1/ Is it dangerous to ride with a cupped front tire. Yes it howls around corners, but is there a safety factor involved here? I've never experienced a cupped tire before.

2/ My rear brake is occasionally making noise (squeely? / howly), even when it is not actuated. The inside pad looks pretty thin and I am going to replace the pads ASAP, but could this be a sign of ABS (pump) problems? (It may be making noise all of the time, but I only hear it sometimes.)

Any info would be much appreciated to either set my mind at ease, or determine how much time/ money I am going to need. (lol)
This is easy... but just in case...

1. Nope... not unless the cupping (I hate that word) is severe or you start to feel like the handling is something you cannot handle. (See several <geesh - understatement> threads re: tires and tire pressure) If you have a lot of miles on the tire(s), replace it.

2. Normal (sort of) operational function... The damn things squeal a lot... While not a problem, it is an annoyance. You get new pads in, bed those suckers well... Heat 'em up till you can smell 'em... Has taken the squeal out of brakes and rotors in the past. Or have your dealer put the new fix rotor on your machine (read as expensive unless you can talk your dealer into including your model in the "sort of" recall on the rotor). While the recall thingy is for that ringing/bell sound you get with the rear rotor, it also cured my squeal... go figure.

Read the tire threads... Bed the new brakes... and ride on my friend...

just be safe...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Mark pretty much said it all.
I suspect you have Metzeler tires, in which case the howling you hear comes from the rear. This happens when the tire has some miles on it, but still have a lot of miles left. Niot dangerous, but it can be annoying if you pay too much attention to that sort of things...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
I bought new pads and some "Disc Brake Quiet" stuff today. I'll do some searching for breaking in new brakes and follow the advice.
The tires are actually the Bridgestone Bias ply. I started out following the BMW recomended pressures, but have since bumped them up by a pound or two front and rear.
One more question: How thin do you let your pad material get before replacing the pads? I haven't checked the front yet and the price quoted today was $197 and change for a set of fronts.! The one side of the rear pads is down to about 2 millimeters.I was contemplating trying the "Quiet" on the old pads first as an experiment, but if 2 mm.'s is about the limit anyway, I won't bother. (But I will put it on the new pads to see if it helps the brake actuation squeal.
Thanks again for the advice. I'm loving this bike, but the cost of parts and (gasp) dealer service is a litttle scary.

198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Quote:
Thanks guys,
I bought new pads and some "Disc Brake Quiet" stuff today. I'll do some searching for breaking in new brakes and follow the advice.
The tires are actually the Bridgestone Bias ply. I started out following the BMW recomended pressures, but have since bumped them up by a pound or two front and rear.
One more question: How thin do you let your pad material get before replacing the pads? I haven't checked the front yet and the price quoted today was $197 and change for a set of fronts.! The one side of the rear pads is down to about 2 millimeters.I was contemplating trying the "Quiet" on the old pads first as an experiment, but if 2 mm.'s is about the limit anyway, I won't bother. (But I will put it on the new pads to see if it helps the brake actuation squeal.
Thanks again for the advice. I'm loving this bike, but the cost of parts and (gasp) dealer service is a litttle scary.
Rear brakes: I would just replace at 2mm and use the quiet stuff.
Replacing front pads on your 03 is very easy and takes 20 minutes. No need to disassemble anything, just remove the safety clips and retaining pins, lift the old pads out, push the pistons back in to make room for the new (and thicker) pads, drop in the new pads, put retaining pins and safety clips and you are done. Be sure to turn the engine on and squeeze the front brake lever a few times to take care of play before riding away. Voila, you just saved $100 easy!
As far as pads you can use BMW, EBC, Carbone-Lorraine, etc...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #6 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Gilles,
That $197 (Canadian) was the price for pads only, no installation !
Although I haven't checked yet, I assume the front pads are very similar to the rears in the way they mount?
It only took about 10 minutes to pull the rears , look at them and put them back in.
Do these bikes generally go through fronts or rears more quickly? I don't use the rears a lot, mainly because of the annoying and embarrassing squeal!
Also, how much drag is normal? When I turn the rear wheel on the stand in neutral, I can hear some rubbing, but I don't feel a lot of resistance. Is this normal?
Thanks for the advice.

198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 9:08 am

I take compressed air to my rear caliper every so often and give it a good blow out. Seems to help a little. Did you check Beemer Boneyard for the brake pads? Very reasonable prices, but I don't know if they ship to Canada?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 9:31 am

Quote:
Thanks Gilles,
That $197 (Canadian) was the price for pads only, no installation !
Although I haven't checked yet, I assume the front pads are very similar to the rears in the way they mount?
It only took about 10 minutes to pull the rears , look at them and put them back in.
Do these bikes generally go through fronts or rears more quickly? I don't use the rears a lot, mainly because of the annoying and embarrassing squeal!
Also, how much drag is normal? When I turn the rear wheel on the stand in neutral, I can hear some rubbing, but I don't feel a lot of resistance. Is this normal?
Thanks for the advice.
Even if you don't "use" the rear brake, you use them... because on your 03 the front and rear brakes are linked. The drag you experience is normal and similar to my 3 LTs.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 5:21 pm

I recently bought EBC HH Sintered front pads for my 2000 LT. Your 2003 may have different calipers/pads, but I hope they wouldn't be THAT much different. I bought mine from Motorcycle Superstore. Seems like they were $35+/- per set. You'll need 2 sets, of course. Beemer Boneyard sells Carbone Lorraine. They may have been slightly cheaper, but I saw a couple threads stating that they wore out faster than OEM or EBC.

Per an older thread I saw when I was getting ready to replace my pads, get a sheet of fine Garnet paper and polish the rotors before bedding in the new pads. Garnet paper won't score the rotors like sandpaper.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Lee,

Thanks for the tip on the Garnet paper. I was going to clean them up with sandpaper.
Thanks for the save.
I need to add another newbie question if anybody is still reading this thread. How often do you change your F.D. fluid. The 1 litre bottle I just bought at the dealership cost $47.00. I know it's cheaper than replacing a final drive , but holy smokes, at that price I expected to see a Harley Davidson Logo on it!

198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2010, 5:45 am

Quote:
Lee,

Thanks for the tip on the Garnet paper. I was going to clean them up with sandpaper.
Thanks for the save.
I need to add another newbie question if anybody is still reading this thread. How often do you change your F.D. fluid. The 1 litre bottle I just bought at the dealership cost $47.00. I know it's cheaper than replacing a final drive , but holy smokes, at that price I expected to see a Harley Davidson Logo on it!
I've been using synthetic 75W-90 and change it every other oil change. It takes about 250ml or less; I use a baby bottle with nipple to service it up as was recommended by someone on the forum. Use foil to cover the wheel/tire and direct the fluid into the drain pan, as was recommend by the Mechanic Extraordinaire, cfell.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2010, 9:56 am

Quote:
$18.00 at Auto Zone for the Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, and it comes in a nice bottle with a dispensing tip so you don't spill too much when filling up.
Remember that BMW does NOT make oil, they just re-brand someone else's.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in