Anyone in here had their Final Drive replaced by dealership? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:40 am Thread Starter

Anyone in here had their Final Drive replaced by dealership?

There seems to be a discrepancy in the RT board and the LT board as to the costs of replacing a FD. I have read here that at a dealership it costs about $400 to replace the FD on the LT and on the RT board, they say $2000. Has anyone in here ever paid a dealership to replace the FD on either RT or LT, and what was the charge? Thanks. I've had no problems, just curious since I have read both dollar amounts.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:52 am

Talking Re: Anyone in here had their Final Drive replaced by dealership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44
There seems to be a discrepancy in the RT board and the LT board as to the costs of replacing a FD. I have read here that at a dealership it costs about $400 to replace the FD on the LT and on the RT board, they say $2000. Has anyone in here ever paid a dealership to replace the FD on either RT or LT, and what was the charge? Thanks. I've had no problems, just curious since I have read both dollar amounts.....
If you can get a FD for $400 and have it installed you better jump on it! I'm guessing that $400 figure may have been a labor quote, but not the FD. $2000 unfortunately is probably closer to what you may end up paying a dealer to replace one. I seem to recall it was around $1500 on my LT several years ago.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:53 am

Re: Anyone in here had their Final Drive replaced by dealership?

The price is neither $400.00 nor $2,000.00 but somewhere in between.
Not sure if what you read includes labor or not. I would guess on the conservative side and say a couple of shop hours involved in replacing the FD, but I am not sure what the dealer chart says.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:19 am

Current BMW price for a KLT final drive is $1,448.
Add the labor rate for your local dealer. Somewhere between $1500 and $2K is a reasonable estimate.

I continue to wonder what final drives are in the BMW NA parts supply line. They have clearly been resistant to recalling all bikes to check final drives. It stands to reason that they would also be reluctant to recall all final drives in the parts pipeline and check them. So..... when you buy a BMW factory final drive, you don't know what you are getting. Caveat Emptor.

Your best insurance IMO is to have your current drive rebuilt by someone who knows how and will take the time to do it properly.

You'd have to remove the drive and ship it.

Here are a couple of business' that I believe will do a good job. (I have never done business with either of these folks and don't know what they charge. It just seems to me that they are independent and know their business.)

http://largiader.com/
http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/

(I will also inspect and rebuild final drives for members of this board. I will add $100 to shipping and parts costs for supporting members at the Standard Member level or higher of this board. I will add $150 to my costs for folks who are not supporting members of this board. This is not a business for me, rather, please think of it as a community public service.)
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 7:01 pm

The $400 quote might have come from me
because that's what it cost to have the dealer repair my (2002 LT's) final drive
when the bearing ($80) and consequently the seal ($30) failed
(which is what usually happens)

Why would you replace the entire final drive???

After "the repair" my 02 was trouble free and over the next couple of years
took me and my wife (pulling a loaded trailer) to over 38 states before a damn Elk totaled it.

There's plenty of other things (actually worth) worrying about when you're riding,
worst case scenario the final drive might cause "some inconvenience"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:42 am

I had my FD replaced by a dealer about 5 years ago and the cost was almost $1300.00. Thus far the replaced drive has done well but it is still the main item that concerns me when I think of buying another beemer. Seems that both Honda and Kawasaki can build a better final drive as FD failures from them are rare.

tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in