Side stand question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:37 am Thread Starter

Side stand question

I just purchased an 09 K1200LT. I went for a ride yesterday with 4 Harley buddies. Whenever we stopped and I used the side stand (I primarily use the center stand) we were all surprised at how far over the LT leaned. It leans farther over than any of the Harley's. I am scared to use it. Is this normal??

Thanks for your help,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:39 am

Re: Side stand question

I agree....The only time i use it is at the gas station...I feel like it is going to tip over everytime i get off....very uneasy feeling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #3 of 15 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 11:06 am

Guess most of us agree. My opinion is this being mostly because of the side stand (in comparison to Harley Parkinson) being so short and angle thus abrupt.

Born to be wild so why not

post #4 of 15 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 1:56 pm

My 99 and then my 03 LTs did not lean anywhere near as much as my 05 LT does. It is to the point that my lovely passenger prefers that I use the center stand whenever possible. I guess we can attribute this to the change in the front rake angle that occurred on the 05 and later models...???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 15 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 3:01 pm

I saw a LT at the local dealer get together last Saturday that had put a pad on his side stand, I was about 3 inches across and was held on by 3 screws, was approx 1/2 thick and looked like it held the bike up very well, compared to mine sitting right next to it. Who would of thunk it. I will try to find out where he got it and post back.

1982 Suzuki SP500 (traded)
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
1998 Honda Shadow 750 (traded)
2000 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado (sold)
2007 BMW K1200LT (son will inherit)
post #6 of 15 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Red face Re: Side stand question

Guys;

Check the classified section, there is a guy that manufactures the "PUCK" which does help with the lean angle. Nice product, worth the cost.

Bowdon
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 21st, 2010, 9:21 pm

I have an 08 LT and I had the same concerns about how far it leans; let me tell you a story, I was parked in a parking lot on a trip, and a truck backed into the LT while it was parked on the sidestand. It cracked the fairing broke out the front headlight, and moved the bike back about 5-6 inches and did not fall.... so it is more stable than one thinks!!
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 10:40 am

I have the aforemetioned puck and it worked great for about 2 years. I really need new shocks How can I tell? I not only scrape more 2-up, but the side stand is difficult to raise on many surfaces.

I see Ohlins in my future. But until then, I may remove it this winter. I kind of enjoy having my feet flat on the ground.

You can search the internet and find some alternatives for the puck. Yes, it does lean more but as has been said, its also very sturdy. I use it most of the time and always in gas stations.

I am sure you know, but never, never use the side stand unless the bike is in gear. Gravity, or even a good nudge can move the bike if you do not have it locked in gear. But then, you do the same thing with a car, don't you.

Bill

Regards, Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 1:49 pm

So there you go David. Buy & install Bills' worn out stocker shocks! Problem solved!

He'll probably even cut you a deal on them like maybe $2800 for the set???

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
I have the aforemetioned puck and it worked great for about 2 years. I really need new shocks How can I tell? I not only scrape more 2-up, but the side stand is difficult to raise on many surfaces.

I see Ohlins in my future. But until then, I may remove it this winter. I kind of enjoy having my feet flat on the ground.

You can search the internet and find some alternatives for the puck. Yes, it does lean more but as has been said, its also very sturdy. I use it most of the time and always in gas stations.

I am sure you know, but never, never use the side stand unless the bike is in gear. Gravity, or even a good nudge can move the bike if you do not have it locked in gear. But then, you do the same thing with a car, don't you.

Bill

Regards, Bill

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 5:15 pm
Sit

Winter is here, check your local sporting goods store for their hockey supplies. A hockey puck costs about 5 bucks. With the puck and a few bolts, try elevator bolts they have large flat heads, you can whip yourself up a puck. If you want a better look, trace the side stand foot outline on the puck, then carv out a place for the foot to fit in to. Will look better in the long run and mounting it will work better too.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

you guys are so clever!! and witty too!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #12 of 15 Old Dec 4th, 2010, 7:35 am

I was amused to read this, because every time I put mine on the stand it worries me that it doesn't lean over far enough and seems like it would be easy to knock over to the right. The first few days I was pulling it to unload the suspension and have it lean more.
post #13 of 15 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 1:38 pm
Sit

Found my extra puck the other day and decided to see what it would do on the LT. So here it is. One shot is of the bike with the puck , the next without the puck. Does make a difference. Can really notice it getting on the bike, much less effort getting it upright off of the side stand. Depending on slope of the ground, the puck could make it too upright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	29793   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	29794   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	668.8 KB
ID:	29795  

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #14 of 15 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 2:09 pm

I park my 02 on it's side stand 99% of the time (I know, I live where it is flat) and have never thought it would fall over except one time in the side of the interstate, and it would not lean far enough!

Only time I use the center stand is in the garage for maintenance.

Every time I think I need to modify something on this bike, after giving it a lot of thought, except for the headlight and seat heat control switch, I realize the the BMW engineers gave a lot of thought to the way this bike was designed and most mods are not necessary.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 6th, 2010, 2:56 pm
FrP

Ditto to Dan

I immediately noticed the greater lean on my LT on the sidestand than with my former GT. Still, I use the stock sidestand all the time (except maintenance). I've never had a problem with it falling over. Yes, I too make certain the bike is in gear before killing the engine by putting the sidestand down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in