Ham radio on an LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Ham radio on an LT?

I just got my Technician License and was wondering if it was practical/possible to hook up my Icom T90A to the Autocom. Any hams out there with ideas or experience in doing something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Re: Ham radio on an LT?

Kenwood HT with the factory patch cord works fine on my '03. Need to use an external antenna away from the electronics in the sting ray or else you get a lot of noise.

Pretty sure others on here have done exactly what you want to do with good success.

Don't use it hardly ever as my wife is not a Ham and does not care to listen to conversation while riding, factory juke box gets used a lot.

de KF4LQT

B D R
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 9:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Chuck,
I've used my Rat Shack Handi's (2M & 440) with the Autocom Icom plug and PTT for a local parade. Even the local LEO"S were impressed with my 4 way flashers & fluorescent yellow vest.

However, when touring you are usually out of range of a repeater very quickly unless you have a "great" antenna system and since the LT frame really isn't a good ground plane, the RF doesn't get too far.

They do work well well though for group rides with other licensed hams.

N8QZ

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 6:45 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks guys. Looks like I will put that project on the back burner until I can talk a few of the guys into taking the test as well.

KF5IIP
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 2:45 pm

Hi,

Bough my K1200LT yesterday, its model 2006 with 18000kms ( I gave up GL1800 model 2001).
I am a keen ham radio eperator OH2KW, next thing would be to assemble Yaesu FT-10R to the bike. Or as the season is finishing, at least during the coming winter....
As I am very new with K1200LT, I wonder, does it have somewhere a place for this kind of unit (control head is a separate one). I do not want to spent luggage space for the radio if not absolutely necessary. My bike has not any intercom, only standard radio with CD-player. How can you connect the ham gear to the audio system ? And How could I get my Gl1800 helmet headset to the LT's audio system (at least to listen to radio or CD with the headset speakers).
IS there 2006 LT schematics available somewhere, also a repair manual would be good (I found only
1999 manual so far).

br, Arto

PS. For hams: worked juts few hundreds A, N, K, W stations in SAC test !
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi I have my Yaesu FT 7800 on my bike hooked up to my autocom .. I made a plate to mount on the rack on top of rear box to mount my antenna on and grounded it to the frame. Works great. Jim KD6REA
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 5:24 pm

I've got a Yaesu FT2800M that I can listen to through my Autocom, but have'n't figured out how to use a PTT. I got out very well by using the mic from the radio next to my mouth (using my left hand). I put a steel plate on my luggage rack so I had a good groundplane.
Any electronic gurus out that that can help me?

Gary D
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 6:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In the manual for the radio it tells witch wire is ptt and mic then hook up to autocom. I got a icom gmrs cable and hooked it up to that and have used it for 5 years. I little experimenting with mic wires well get it done. Jim KD6REA
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 12:12 pm

Thumbs up Re: Ham radio on an LT?

Try these guys for a barrel full of info on this subject! http://www.marc-hq.org/00.htm

Kilo-Echo-Victor-India-November
02 K1200ltc -"OGRE"
04 R1150rt -"Flicka"
82 GL1100 -w-Sidecar -"OH HACK"
77 r100rs Motorsport -"Phoney"
71 Harley Davidson Sprint -"Whoppie"
70 Honda ct70 - "MoM's"
BMW MOA# 106963

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in