Questions on seat height and gps. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Questions on seat height and gps.

I am buying a 2003 K 1200 let this week. Bought it off the internet through a reputable dealer but I have never ridden one. I have had a gl 1800 and an ultra classic e-glide and have always dreamed of the BMW. I am about 5' 8'' and am wondering if I am too short for this bike or if I will be ok. Also what model is the stock GPS and can it be updated with current maps. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:58 am

Re: Questions on seat height and gps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1osufan
I am buying a 2003 K 1200 let this week. Bought it off the internet through a reputable dealer but I have never ridden one. I have had a gl 1800 and an ultra classic e-glide and have always dreamed of the BMW. I am about 5' 8'' and am wondering if I am too short for this bike or if I will be ok. Also what model is the stock GPS and can it be updated with current maps. Thanks for any help.
I'm just over 5'7 and doing fine. Coming to the final stop, I put my left foot down with other foot on the rear brake. Makes a very stable stop. Keep the front wheel straight when stopping or it will have a tendency to lay down. Most all gps's can be updated. I'm assuming it is a Garmin.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 12:07 pm
cwo

Howdy

I had my seat redone by Kontour, and he made it lower than stock. Boots re-soled so they are about 1/2" taller. Still a learning curve on the LT. IT is top heavy, but you get used to it.

Just upgraded to a Zumo 660 and works great.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 1:28 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Just make sure the seat is in the lowest position & keep the front wheel straight at stops. I am 5'8" & have Ohlins Shocks on my LT that make it about an inch taller then stock. I just put both feet down in the last 5 feet before stopping and use the front brake to come to a complete stop. I've been doing this for over 5 years with NO trouble.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 3:48 pm

5'8" here, used to be 5/9 but old age has had it's way with me. I use the same method Razmataz describes, works fine for me. And YES, make sure the seat bar is in low. Don't have a GPS (YET) but thinking on a Tom Tom Rider.

Welcome aboard

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 4:03 pm

I got short legs, 30" inseam.

Sometimes its a reach to the ground, especially on uneven ground. You get used to it.

My '03 with the dealer installed Garmin package is upgradeable. Be ready, Garmin will want $125.00 from you. Did an upgrade to the maps a couple of years ago, probably will not do that again.

I think you will enjoy your LT.

Welcome to the forum.

B D R
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the helpful info. I can't wait to get my bike.
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Best of luck and you should'nt have any problem, just take some time to get used to her. As I''m sure you've;e read, she is top heavy at slow speed and can make you pay the price as mentioned here. I am about 5'8 also and have had three slow speed tip overs (so far) but I am not sure it matters how tall you are once the momentum starts. I also stop 99% of the time with rt foot on the brake and left down. Just make sure you are not putting a foot down in a deep pothole and pay attention to the surface. One of my drops was when my foot slipped on some sand and while it is slow motion too late!
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:48 am

Stock GPS Is made by Garmin...I have the Garmin 450 ..normally when you buy a new one you will get a one time free map download ....then you will need to pay for updates....my Garmin is $69.00 for once or $120 for a lifetime....it is getting to the point now where you can buy a new GPS whenever you need to update your maps for cheaper,,,...if you want a cheaper GPS....They are kindof like a printer for you Computer...cheaper to buy a new printer then buy the ink that goes into it...

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #10 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:52 am

Wow, talk about twins, I got my '03 K1200LT 3-4weeks ago. I always wanted a V-max and a BMW LT, My wife finally allowed me to fullfill my first and second mid-life crisises (Still waiting on my pre-'72 Vette).

I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam. I just have to say. in the first two weeks, I layed her on the right side 4 times. But it was always on walking back or once coming to a stop on a slanted road. Thankfully the black front 'bumper' and the chrome on the side bag (underside of it) seem to take minor damage at a nearly stopped speed. After 5+ mph, the LT just is smooth as glass. I still working on practicing my slow speed turns in a empty parking, as advised by my Gold Wing friend. But as a E-Glide owner, I think the transistion will be ALOT better than mine.

I also have the stock Gamin Navigator III. As for upgrading, it'll depend on your computer. (Assuming you have the original cables) If you have an old computer with a serial port, you are in luck. If not, you'll need to order a Serial to USB converter. I bought one a few weeks ago for about $18. Then you'll need to register with garmin and upgrade your maps. Navigator III was supposed to have lifetime free upgrades, the last upgrade I was able to find was late 2008/ early 2009 (not great but was ALOT better). I think the biggest key is having all of the codes and keys. I was luckly that my previous owner included all of the paperwork and numbers. I personally plan on upgrading to a Garmin nüvi 2360LMT next month when it comes out. How I'm going to intergrate, God only knows.

As for seat height. Even at my height I sometimes have trouble 'flat footing' on the ground. Granted I live in south Louisana, so we tend to have some driveways road combos that aren't ideal. IE, while you front tire is coming off driveway, you rear tire is coming up the road. So I'm on my tippy toes at that time. A friend of mine bought a lower seat, but he said he had to modify the under the seat. I.E. He had to trim the panels under the seat to allow it to sit lower. I'm sure there is more than a few guides out there on how to do it. I plan on geting some bigger soled boots for riding.

Sorry, I didn't relize this was turning into a rant.

Also the is a "Hall of Knowledge" under the tech section that might also help.

James Scott

'07 V-Max
'03 K1200LT Custom
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 8:29 am

for the seat height, I am 5'10" and have a 29" inseam.

I just adjusted the shock height all the way OUT (you will understand which way I mean when you start to turn it), and I can now touch the ground when even with both feet and pretty much flat footed.

I also made sure that the seat height adjustment bad was in the lower position.

You can also remove that bar and get 1/2 an inch lower seat. but after I learned about the shock adjustment I was too low and put the bar back in.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #12 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 3:38 pm

You'll love it, once you get used to it. but as I said earlier if you road a E-glide, you should easily transistion to the Beemer!

If you need, let me know where you live, and I'll try to assist on find someone in your area to have someone give you a 'Fit test'. Thankfully I was able to ride with a Beemer rider and he gace me great advice on what to look for.
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Wow. The Beemer community is great!!! Thanks again for all the insight, I pick it up on Friday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in