rear tire question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2010, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

rear tire question

just read another thread about a rear tire and it got me thinking about mine... i'm running a metz on the rear of my 2003lt, its got at least 6,000 miles on it, and i've kept the air pressure right both riding solo and with passenger and luggage.

the thing is, it is wearing odd to me...about 3 inches of the center of the tire seems raised, forming a little ridge on either side all the way around the tire... i would have thought the center area would have worn down before the sides considering the majority of the miles on the tire have been fairly flat interstates (more straightways than twisties)

is this a normal wear pattern on these tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: rear tire question

what air pressure are you using?
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2010, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

been riding two-up a lot, pressure right at 47 in rear

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 11th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Sounds strange to me, can you post a picture?

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 7:20 am

Robert, What are the complete specs on the tire? 160/70 ?? 17 79V ? Radial or bias? How much weight are you putting on the bike riding 2 UP? Some folks (like me & Mrs.) are heavier than others. I run 50 psi when riding 2 up.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 7:48 am

Sounds normal, makes noise when you switch lanes or do anything but go straight.

I run 50 psi in mine.

B D R
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1965
just read another thread about a rear tire and it got me thinking about mine... i'm running a metz on the rear of my 2003lt, its got at least 6,000 miles on it, and i've kept the air pressure right both riding solo and with passenger and luggage.

the thing is, it is wearing odd to me...about 3 inches of the center of the tire seems raised, forming a little ridge on either side all the way around the tire... i would have thought the center area would have worn down before the sides considering the majority of the miles on the tire have been fairly flat interstates (more straightways than twisties)

Sounds like you have a magic motorcycle there.

Why don't you create a swap-service, you can send your rear tire to guys like me who get wear ONLY on the center of the rear Metzeler (it seems), we can trade rear tires very 6,000 miles and be the first guys to get, like, 50,000 miles per set!

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 11:25 am

I'm so confused about the correct tire pressure now. I purchased my 09 with less than 4k on it in August of 09. The previous owner had the rear tire at 46 and I kept it there. The rear lasted until the 12k mark. It was worn in the middle indicating, to me, that it had been over inflated. The front tire was at 36 so I left it there. It lasted until 14k.

The new rear tire I had installed is kept at 43 cold (unless 2 up then I run at 46 cold) and it now has 8k on it and looks almost new still. The new front I still run at 36 cold and it really looks new, the little loose nubs aren't even worn off yet.

I know there's a lot of discussion and it seems most here are running way above my pressures but when I looked on the sidewalls (ME 880 Marathons by the way), I couldn't find any pressure amounts from the manufacturer.

I think I'm getting pretty good mileage so I'll probably keep them as is....what do you guys think?

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 12:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Horse
It was worn in the middle indicating, to me, that it had been over inflated.
Yes for a car tire but not true on a bike tire. Worn in the middle means most miles were on the slab and not the twisties. I have run five sets of tires and have run fronts at 42 and rears at 48. If I spend a lot of time in the mountains they wear pretty even across the tread at those pressures. If you are hard on acceleration you will wear out the rear faster. If you brake hard you will wear out the fronts faster. Just a fact of life.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1965

I am wondering if you have the correct rear tire for the LT as it needs to be weight rated for that heavy bike. Is it possible that you have the standard tire as opposed to the reinforced one? If this is the case your tire may be "giving" a little and rubbing on the sides, giving you the impression that the center is raised while in effect it is the sides that are wearing out. Can you post a couple of picture?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Horse
I'm so confused about the correct tire pressure now. I purchased my 09 with less than 4k on it in August of 09. The previous owner had the rear tire at 46 and I kept it there. The rear lasted until the 12k mark. It was worn in the middle indicating, to me, that it had been over inflated. The front tire was at 36 so I left it there. It lasted until 14k.

The new rear tire I had installed is kept at 43 cold (unless 2 up then I run at 46 cold) and it now has 8k on it and looks almost new still. The new front I still run at 36 cold and it really looks new, the little loose nubs aren't even worn off yet.

I know there's a lot of discussion and it seems most here are running way above my pressures but when I looked on the sidewalls (ME 880 Marathons by the way), I couldn't find any pressure amounts from the manufacturer.

I think I'm getting pretty good mileage so I'll probably keep them as is....what do you guys think?
I think if you are getting that many miles out of a set of Metzlers you are not spending enough time near or at the redline in the twisties!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 9:06 am

Unfortunately, the twisties are something I have to go looking for on a day off. I use the bike as my primary source of transportation (95%). Work commuting has no real fun turns except one roundabout intersection. I run up 700 miles a month just for work. Wife likes to get a day ride on one of our days off so to find some turns you have to drive about 100 miles just to get to any then there are some but, no, not enough exciting riding just daily riding...about 6 days a week year round thanks to living in the Southwest.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:43 am

Normal wear on the Metz...

When you have a new Metz put on, it's got a round profile... As you drive the highways, the round in the center of the tire wears, thus the tire looks like it has a flat spot right in the center with ridges on the outsides of the flat track.

And it will make noise... and while you may not notice it right now and as you put more miles on it, pushing it into a turn is a PITA. To prove it? Put a new tire on and and see how easy it is to push over...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in