Code Readers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Code Readers

I was wondering what code reader works with BMW bikes, as I'd like to be able to read the codes from that easily and was wondering if I could get by with one for all vehicles I have, including my American made four wheel vehicles. Are they different systems? I think the plugs are different as I've never seen anything like the auto connector on the bike. Can an adapter be made? Also is there one that works with the CAN bus? I don't have a bike with that now, but quite possibly could have in the future. I understand also that some cars have the CAN bus also. I might even have that in my 09 Pontiac Vibe, but never had to work on it, so I don't know.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Re: Code Readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
I was wondering what code reader works with BMW bikes, as I'd like to be able to read the codes from that easily and was wondering if I could get by with one for all vehicles I have, including my American made four wheel vehicles. Are they different systems? I think the plugs are different as I've never seen anything like the auto connector on the bike. Can an adapter be made? Also is there one that works with the CAN bus? I don't have a bike with that now, but quite possibly could have in the future. I understand also that some cars have the CAN bus also. I might even have that in my 09 Pontiac Vibe, but never had to work on it, so I don't know.
The OBD standard for US cars has nothing to do with the BMW system. For years the only way to get a code readout of a BMW bike was to take it to a dealer.

A few years ago the GS-911 became available and it was a great leap forward. The folks who make the GS-911 keep on improving the functions and adding bikes. I purchased one a few years ago and have downloaded upgraded software for it a few times. Never a charge for the upgraded software.

Somewhere on this site is a registry of folks who have a GS-911,

Here's where you can get your own: http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-buy.php
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
The OBD standard for US cars has nothing to do with the BMW system. For years the only way to get a code readout of a BMW bike was to take it to a dealer.

A few years ago the GS-911 became available and it was a great leap forward. The folks who make the GS-911 keep on improving the functions and adding bikes. I purchased one a few years ago and have downloaded upgraded software for it a few times. Never a charge for the upgraded software.

Somewhere on this site is a registry of folks who have a GS-911,

Here's where you can get your own: http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-buy.php
They're pretty pricey for something one would only use occasionally and only work on BMW MCs. Do they work with the new CAN bus? Is one able to use them in tune ups somehow? I need a good reason to spend this much, something other than to read an occasional fault code.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
They're pretty pricey for something one would only use occasionally and only work on BMW MCs. Do they work with the new CAN bus? Is one able to use them in tune ups somehow? I need a good reason to spend this much, something other than to read an occasional fault code.
There is a registry of GS991 owners on this site. There may be some one near you who would be willing to plug their GS911 into your bike to do a check for you. Stop by my little shop of horrors here in the deep south of Vermont and I'll do it for you.

Those of us who do our own maintainance found that the local BMW dealer wanted an appointment and an hour's worth of labor to plug our bikes into the BMW MoDiTek computer for a fault check. It doesn't take too many such appointments to pay for a GS911. Additional functions have been added to the GS911 over the years including ability to reset ABS faults.

It isn't about whether the bike is CANBUS or not, just look to see if your bike is a covered model. As for what bikes it will work on, check here:
http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-funct...art.php#models
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
There is a registry of GS991 owners on this site. There may be some one near you who would be willing to plug their GS911 into your bike to do a check for you. Stop by my little shop of horrors here in the deep south of Vermont and I'll do it for you.

Those of us who do our own maintainance found that the local BMW dealer wanted an appointment and an hour's worth of labor to plug our bikes into the BMW MoDiTek computer for a fault check. It doesn't take too many such appointments to pay for a GS911. Additional functions have been added to the GS911 over the years including ability to reset ABS faults.

It isn't about whether the bike is CANBUS or not, just look to see if your bike is a covered model. As for what bikes it will work on, check here:
http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-funct...art.php#models
Where might I find the registry? I searched on GS911 and found this post. I then searched on GS911 and registry and found this thread again and three others, but no registry.

I am coming up on my 24K and am thinking about buying a 911, but if someone is not too far away, I'd be happy to pay to have my codes read. Then again, where I live, virtually everything is far away!

I have read the web site and exchanged some email, but am still not clear as to what all the MoDiTec can do that the 911 can't. I understand the ABS bleed test is one thing. Can the 911 read the stats that the MoDiTec can read such as number of times the ABS was actuated, etc.? My last print-out from the dealer was pretty comprehensive!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 7:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The GS-911 registry is a sticky in the Bike Talk forum. It will do just about everything except the ABS bleed test.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 8:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The GS-911 registry is a sticky in the Bike Talk forum. It will do just about everything except the ABS bleed test.
Thanks, I will check it out.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Looks like LAF is the closest to me, and he is about 3 hours away. Next up is either CharlieVT or a gentlemen in Cincinnati and both of those are more than 6 hours distant.

LAF, I believe you said you no longer rode a BMW. If my recollection is correct, do you have any interest in selling your GS911?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Looks like LAF is the closest to me, and he is about 3 hours away. Next up is either CharlieVT or a gentlemen in Cincinnati and both of those are more than 6 hours distant.

LAF, I believe you said you no longer rode a BMW. If my recollection is correct, do you have any interest in selling your GS911?
Matt, I bought Lee's last week.
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:47 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yes Dick has mine. Could a Admin Edit that in the GS-911 forum?

I would say someone may mail one to you to use if you are desperate, but you will need to download the app to your laptop to use it on the bike to watch live view of the system, check and clear codes and such.

They are a bit pricey but if I was riding a BMW I would own one as I did! They are becoming more and more advanced in what they can do as the code becomes less proprietary due to the age of the LT and the age of the ECU. If you are going to keep an LT to "death do you part" then bite the bullet. If you can clear a few codes and check all your running parameters live, it is worth it. Sure beats running to a dealer. However it does not do what the whiz machine they have can, but in most cases no need for all that either.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Yes Dick has mine. Could a Admin Edit that in the GS-911 forum
Done.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 5:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Matt, I bought Lee's last week.
Good deal! Thanks for letting me know. Looks like I will just have to break down a buy a brand spankin' new one!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in