MPG after Canisterectomy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 8:34 am Thread Starter

MPG after Canisterectomy

Can anyone tell me if gas mileage is suppose to be better or worse after canisterectomy??
My mileage has been around 45-50. Last year I was getting in the mid 50's. All services have been done, and had the dealer check on the computer. he said everything is running fine. Just wondering???? Thanks for ur help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 9:09 am

Re: MPG after Canisterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchammer717
Can anyone tell me if gas mileage is suppose to be better or worse after canisterectomy??
My mileage has been around 45-50. Last year I was getting in the mid 50's. All services have been done, and had the dealer check on the computer. he said everything is running fine. Just wondering???? Thanks for ur help.
Canister removal will not affect gas mileage.
It is possible to have a vacuum leak after canister removal but that would probably cause other symptoms depending on severity of the leak.
A very slight air leak might affect gas mileage without other symptoms.

Many folks when doing a cannister removal simply plug the hose that runs from the throttle bodies to the canister under the seat. A better approach that removes a number of points of possible vacuum leaks is to remove plastic from the left side of the bike to get to the throttle bodies. There you can remove the solenoid that opens vacuum to the cannister. Disconnect the electrical plug and remove that solenoid. Tape off the electical plug and secure it to the fuel rail or somewhere nearby. Remove the hose that fed the solenoid, this involves removing a "T" from the vacuum lines and reconnecting the vacuum lines that bridge the throttle bodies. This would be a good time to check those hoses for cracks or looseness.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 9:52 am

My mileage in Florida seems to always average around 40 - 43 MPG. Sometimes on trips up north and the highway it will climb up a little but I don't think it has ever been to 50+ that I occasionally read about. Maybe I'm not drifting down hill as much!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
My mileage in Florida seems to always average around 40 - 43 MPG. Sometimes on trips up north and the highway it will climb up a little but I don't think it has ever been to 50+ that I occasionally read about. Maybe I'm not drifting down hill as much!
Dan, what's your average speed?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:18 am

Lots of riding around town weekly; stop and go average probably 25-40MPH 40+ miles a day and longer trips on weekends averaging maybe 60 65 70 MPH.... I really don't ride fast and I'm easy on the gears. I know that many say to ride it like you stole it, but that's not my nature. I do love the sound when it get above 4,000 RPMs....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Lots of riding around town weekly; stop and go average probably 25-40MPH 40+ miles a day and longer trips on weekends averaging maybe 60 65 70 MPH.... I really don't ride fast and I'm easy on the gears. I know that many say to ride it like you stole it, but that's not my nature. I do love the sound when it get above 4,000 RPMs....
Yep, it sounds very sporty and cool when the rpms go above 4k.
So, I take it you don't have a computer on board.
My average speed of late, around town and road, is 53 according to my computer, and my average gas mileage has been close to 48.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #7 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Yep, it sounds very sporty and cool when the rpms go above 4k.
So, I take it you don't have a computer on board.
My average speed of late, around town and road, is 53 according to my computer, and my average gas mileage has been close to 48.
I've got the computer, but really don't trust it to give an accurate MPG reeding. I generally go about 200 miles between fill up and add about 5 gallons. Pretty simple to figure. The on board computer is always reading 45+ bit I really don't think that is correct. Speed ( as per GPS) and average speed are correct though.

Not really a concern though. The COST of tires makes the saving on gas irrelevant!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 1:56 pm

I find the trip computer to be accurate for gas mileage. Last week riding 2 up on some twisty roads and revving high the compuer showed 45 mpg. The strange part is the drop in mileage from there on the highway and using the cruise control.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchammer717

IMHO, if your canister was clogged and not functioning properly, it would probably affect the MPG. If all was normal and you just did the ectomy (properly of course) it should make no noticable difference.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 6:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That change sounds about right for added ethanol in the fuel. But to echo the others a canisterectomy should not change your gas mileage.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in