Low CG Luggage Rack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Low CG Luggage Rack

Just returned from a 40 day road trip riding two up. We covered 9,828 miles mostly off the freeways. The luggage rack I built held up perfectly for the trip even with the 50 lb bag of camp gear. The low center of gravity handled quite nice even on the "Tail of the Dragon". I had to replace the rear tire at 8,000 miles which I thought was reasonable since thats all I normally get on my Harley riding solo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luggage Rack.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	28292  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 3:21 pm

Re: Low CG Luggage Rack

Congrats to you on a Very Innovative idea.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #3 of 17 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemeup
Just returned from a 40 day road trip riding two up. We covered 9,828 miles mostly off the freeways. The luggage rack I built held up perfectly for the trip even with the 50 lb bag of camp gear. The low center of gravity handled quite nice even on the "Tail of the Dragon". I had to replace the rear tire at 8,000 miles which I thought was reasonable since thats all I normally get on my Harley riding solo.
I like that. I have concerns about the weight being behind the rear axle, but if it works, no argument. I might build something like that.

Would you be willing to take a few more pics of the rack, construction details, and attachment points?

That would be great, thanks.

post #4 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 1:42 am

Curtis,

not wanting to hijack the thread but while waiting for the reply from Barry here is some info on the similar item:

http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizqui...TCHLUGGAGERACK#

I have stepped on the rack and it holds so it has been tested with 90 kilos (200 lbs).The max load I carry on it is typically 25 kg (50 lbs). The rack itself weighs about 7,5 kg (15 lbs).

I have an AutoCad 3D drawing if you need one.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #5 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 8:51 am

The low center of gravity is a plus. Placing the low CG in a location that is 2' behind the rear axle is a huge minus.
post #6 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 9:56 am

I wonder about the location aft of the rear axle. But with two up, and the weight of the engine forward, and total weight of the bike, I can see 20 lbs being just as well back there as it is on my topcase rack.

I don't have a trailer hitch and don't really want one. I was wondering if one of these designs attaches without a trailer hitch.
post #7 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:35 am

Nice one. I made a cargo rack myself last year...and I love it. Here's my thread about it (with pics)...
Homemade cargo Rack

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #8 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I wonder about the location aft of the rear axle. But with two up, and the weight of the engine forward, and total weight of the bike, I can see 20 lbs being just as well back there as it is on my topcase rack.

I don't have a trailer hitch and don't really want one. I was wondering if one of these designs attaches without a trailer hitch.
Curtis, I'm just curious...why you don't want to use a trailer hitch? Especially Dauntless' design is ideal for the luggage rack. I can remove or install my rack in two minutes (including the diagonal support cables) and without the rack there are only the round tube ends visible in the rear of the bike.

The bike side parts of Dauntless are well proven and tested. Into the tubes you can design your own rack just as Toolman had done. In my project I used more Dauntless parts since my rack is fastened into the hitch receiver but this was only because I happened to have the Dauntless set available.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #9 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Curtis, I'm just curious...why you don't want to use a trailer hitch? Especially Dauntless' design is ideal for the luggage rack. I can remove or install my rack in two minutes (including the diagonal support cables) and without the rack there are only the round tube ends visible in the rear of the bike.

The bike side parts of Dauntless are well proven and tested. Into the tubes you can design your own rack just as Toolman had done. In my project I used more Dauntless parts since my rack is fastened into the hitch receiver but this was only because I happened to have the Dauntless set available.

Regards
Actually, I have been looking into the Dauntless. I'm not really interested in pulling a trailer and the other "better" trailer hitch is way over the top for me. I don't want to look at it, and I don't want to have to remove it to change a tire.

I'm temped to weld up a frame to make a rear luggage rack but if I could obtain a Dauntless and save myself the fabrication time and materials costs, the Dauntless would work for me.

I've been putting 20lbs of bulky camping gear on the topcase rack, and moving it down low seems like a good idea. When I first started reading this thread, I thought maybe someone had fabricated a race without a trailer hitch. Now I realize it probably isn't so.

Still learning and mulling the options here. Thanks!
post #10 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Always something interesting around here. Is the exhaust a problem being so close to the gear stowed on the rack? Even though the exhaust is directed down it seems close.
post #11 of 17 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwkraft
Always something interesting around here. Is the exhaust a problem being so close to the gear stowed on the rack? Even though the exhaust is directed down it seems close.
As you probably saw on my Picasa "blog" I use a vinyl cover on top of the suitcase that usually sits on the rack. This is also for rain protection.
After a recent 5000 km trip the suitcase (which is actually just an old Delsey cabin bag with some kind of cloth covering) had a slight smell of exhaust on the exterior. Leaving the bag outside for couple of days took care of this minor inconvenience.
However, when I had a Remus exhaust for one summer, the smell & soot problem was a lot worse.
From that time I also have a heat shield in front of the rack which was really useful for collecting the soot from the Remus. Nowadays that stays clean since I went back to the OEM exhaust.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #12 of 17 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:50 am

Every time I see one of those racks I can only think of having one of these instead: THE ULTIMATE FARKLE.

I mean, just back her up to a nice gentle slope .... pop her up on the center stand ....whip out an old copy of Popular Mechanics and...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bumper dumper.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	28303  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 17 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Every time I see one of those racks I can only think of having one of these instead: THE ULTIMATE FARKLE.

I mean, just back her up to a nice gentle slope .... pop her up on the center stand ....whip out an old copy of Popular Mechanics and...

I swear Ron, where do you come up with all this stuff!? Around here when the corn is up, all you gotta do is carry a roll of toilet paper with you....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 17 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 11:03 am Thread Starter

I put together some details showing my rack but the pdf file is too large to upload. Anyone who wants it can email me at [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frame Mount Right Side.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	28309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack Back View.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	28310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mud Guard Back.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	28311  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Loaded.bmp (581.2 KB, 50 views)
post #15 of 17 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwkraft
No problem at all. I kept an eye on it for heat and didn't detect any to worry about.
post #16 of 17 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

Finally got this file trimmed down to a point where I could upload it. Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Luggage Rack Design.pdf (1.05 MB, 97 views)
post #17 of 17 Old Aug 17th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Having debated purchase of a Dauntless trailer hitch to use as a low CG luggage rack support versus fabricating my own, I stumbled onto a sale.

All in stock hitches are 20% off until the end of the month.
http://www.dmcsidecars.com/index.htm

Considering the time, welding fumes, material costs of homemade versus a professional hitch at 20% off, I went for the deal.

Next I have to decide if I will fabricate my own rack to fit the trailer hitch or buy one of those too. (Those are not on sale and have to be fabricated to order).

If you've been thinking about a Dauntless hitch, now might be the time. Sale ends 31 August.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in