2005 K1200LT purchase question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm Thread Starter
sds

2005 K1200LT purchase question

I am looking at a 2005 with 34,000 miles on it.Due to medical reasons the owner has had it parked parked for a little over a year. Unit it was parked the records show it was maintained to BMW specs and there is no record or history of anything major. It looks pristine with no scratches, rubs , nicks, etc. A couple of questions: Does the mileage affect the sales price and is there any work that should be done by a dealer to ensure it is road worthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:44 pm

Re: 2005 K1200LT purchase question

If the bike is in the charlotte area, see if bmw charlotte will give it the once over. This gives you a piece of mind and the owner in case anything needs to be fixed. A small cost on your part. If the owner wont go for it, try ask a local member to go with you to help check it out.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 5:29 am Thread Starter
sds

Bike is in Raleigh. I have a check list from Ted's House and have a fair amount of mechanical ability. The price is reasonable based on the research I have done - just wondering if mileage has a bearing. Plan on taking it to the dealership to have fluids replaced. Any other suggestions to consider when looking it over?

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds
Bike is in Raleigh. I have a check list from Ted's House and have a fair amount of mechanical ability. The price is reasonable based on the research I have done - just wondering if mileage has a bearing. Plan on taking it to the dealership to have fluids replaced. Any other suggestions to consider when looking it over?
Yeah.. almost broke in..

Since we don't have your 'Ted's list'.... hard for us to repeat all the little things to review...

I WOULD buy an EXTENDED warranty if possible from the dealer... then ride it like ya stole it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 8:01 am

I would just make sure the clutch doesn't slip. You may ask if the slave cylinder cavity has been drilled or not.

I would also put it on the centerstand and try to "jiggle" the rear wheel at 3:00 & 9:00 it shouldn't move.

Just check the records and see if it has been maintained.

By the way, if she smokes a little when you start it up, it is "99%" due to the piston orientation (horizontal). If they park on the centerstand (or wait a minute or so before putting on the side stand) this minimizes it.

Check the tread and brakes.

If you've got the mechanical ability, change the fluids yourself. I brought mine to the dealer for the first one (and a tire change) and I think it was $500.00.

If you get it before Saturday, Dave (Saddleman) is having a bit of a "tech-session" at his house in Cornelius ( check THIS thread for more information. He's right off 73 towards the Nuke plant. Even if you don't have the bike yet, just seeing one apart and being able to ask questions is huge. Hope to see you there.

You'll love it, go for it!

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 8:12 am

Mileage on a BMW is not an issue. I bought my RT with 29,000 on it and now has 97,000 flawless miles. The 00 LT had 48,000 when I bought it in 06 and last week after riding it back from ATL turned 86,000 miles; all of which have been trouble free. And by that I mean the LT hasn't let me down. I did have a problem with the cruise control while out in Vegas and had to ride it home without it but hey, that's old school baby!

I do know from personal experience that the post 05s do handle and run a good deal stronger than the pre 05s did. So my advice to you is if you are happy with the purchase price, and the bike appears to be in good working order, do as the others have said and buy it, ride it, and don't look back. You'll be happy you did.

Good luck and don't forget to send us some pictures when you get it home! I'd love to see it.
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 7:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Evidently sitting idle is not a factor as we just transplanted a used engine that had sat for THREE years into another bike and it is running just fine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 2:44 am

Hope this isn't a drag:

I bought a 2005 LT in 2007 in the same condition. It had 16,000miles and it, too, sat in a garage for a year. He loved it but loved his Harley's more.

Anyway, after the purchase, I rode it around town for a month then headed off to the Grand Canyon.

Out near the GC, I discovered the rear master cylinder leaking a drop every couple hours. I bought some DOT 4 and only topped it up only once. It turns out, DOT 4 is VERY hard to find in the boonies - 7-11's have DOT 3 but only auto supplies have DOT 4.

Days after that was fixed the drip recurred. It turns out it wasn't the master cylinder this time but the transmission output shaft seal. This can be fixed by mere mortals (shade tree guys) but I was days out of warranty and got BMW to fix it - after a few calls.

So a few trips to this board taught me - LT's that sit for extended periods have their seals dry out and can start to weep/leak after they go back into service.

I'd insist on having the dealer go over it and/or make a deal for some kind of personal warranty for, say, 30 days. Or, you can talk him down another $1,000 or so as it's about $700 for the shaft fix. Main seal fixing runs in the thousands so an extra grand off would make it a fair bet. As someone mentioned previously, and extended warranty would add peace of mind. Another idea; I once did a real estate deal where I signed a simple do-it-yourself loan doc with the weird terms stipulated (in your case - no leaky seals for a month) and gave them a post dated check. If everything works out, they cash the check in a month. If it doesn't you stop payment. It worked out for me (the real estate didn't drip oil ) so they cashed the check and we were all happy.

On the flip side, it's now been parked in the (California) winter for 4 months or so for the last 2 years and it's dry as a bone since the leaks were fixed the first time.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:08 am Thread Starter
sds

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. Very helpful.
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:37 am

Bought my 2K LT with 17k miles last year, the PO said it had sat in his garage for the last 2 years, he was afraid of it...I bought it cheap, and have been riding the piss out of it since, and have experienced only 1 issue....addiction....no drips, no leaks, no failures, just miles of smiles (jeez that was corney). I think you could own a bike for 10 years and have nothing go wrong, or you could own it for 10 minutes and the entire thing implode before your eyes..We cannot allow ourselves to dwell on every possibility for disaster, or we would have to lock ourselves in a vault, and never come out! Just buy it, ride it, deal with what life throws at you, and smile...(that was even cornier)

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm

I bought my 2005 2 years ago with 7K on it. Other than some small stuff and eating tires I have had no issues. You won't be disapointed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in