Grip Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Grip Replacement

I've been using crazy glue to keep the grip together, but I'll eventually have to replace them.
Is this a big deal?
You probably guessed that the throttle is worse than the brake.
Thanks for your help.

- Al
2004 Black K1200 LT
27k miles
Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:19 pm

Red face Re: Grip Replacement

Not a big deal, just head down to your local sporting goods store and buy some racket ball grip tape and place it over top of the factory grips. This adds a nice large grip surface with a bit more comfort.

The biggest problem I had with the factory grips was the factory glue let go and the heated grip would slide down the handle. I bought some glue rated for over 200 deg F, secured the factory grip then wrapped the racket ball tape over top.
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:45 pm

Re: Grip Replacement

I used grip puppies after I had a factory grip tear. Has worked great and makes the grip bigger and softer.

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:16 am

Garage

grip puppies and the heat still comes through

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 2:29 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlReich23
You probably guessed that the throttle is worse than the brake.
I hope you mean "the throttle is worse than the clutch", otherwise that might explain why you have worn out the grips within 27K miles!

As others have said, get the Grip Puppies.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:35 am

I just used a length of bicycle inner tube over my splitting grips. Heat still comes through fine and the gription is like new. That saved me buying something, but if you're so inclined the grip puppies are a great option.
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 7:01 pm

If you want to stay with a factory style grip but your heater elements are working fine order BMW part 32 72 2 332 620. One for each side obviously. Price is less than $36.00 each from Chicago BMW. All you need to do then is carefully skin off the old grip rubber, clean the surface of the heater element, apply a bit of contact cement (make sure you don't get any near the end on the throttle side) then when the cement is set up slide on the grip and let it dry!

In the parts catalog they will show as a right hand grip for another bike entirely but they fit both sides of the KLT.

I bought these several years ago and they have lasted longer than my original set of grips.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I hope you mean "the throttle is worse than the clutch", otherwise that might explain why you have worn out the grips within 27K miles!

As others have said, get the Grip Puppies.
yes, the throttle is worse than the clutch.

I think I'll try those Grip Puppies.
Thanks for the tip...
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:41 pm

When installing the grip puppies, do yourself a favor!

Soap them up inside with a coating of soapy water, to give a little slip to get on.

BUT ALSO

Get a straight piece of metal wire, like an unbent wire hanger, and put it through
one of the grip puppies. When you go to put it on the grips, press the wire
towards the inside of the handle, wear the clutch oil or front brake oil reservoirs
are and then begin sliding your puppies over the existing grips.

Basically what I am describing here is a narrow channel of air, so that you don't
create a vacuum barrier that becomes VERY resistant about half way up the grip.
Even though you have a thin layer of soapy water for lubricant, if you don't use the
wire technique, it's similar to putting two tupperware bowls together (one nestled
inside the other) and trying to put them apart. The more pull you apply, the more
the vacuum holds them together.

ALSO, use a shimmy wrenching motion as you snake the grip puppies over the
old grip. Like revving the throttle of your bike, it shimmys it's way up the existing
grip.

Make sure your hands are strong and have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:37 am

Everybody says grip puppies. I say go to the local HD shop and get Drag Specialties part number DS-243125 sundance replacement grip foam. You don't have to order it online and you can get it quicker. Providing of course there is a HD shop nearby. A little dish soap on the inside of the grip before you slide it on makes things much easier. If you have large hands you'll really like these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0126002052.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	28302  

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 10:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymarks
Everybody says grip puppies. I say go to the local HD shop and get Drag Specialties part number DS-243125 sundance replacement grip foam. You don't have to order it online and you can get it quicker. Providing of course there is a HD shop nearby. A little dish soap on the inside of the grip before you slide it on makes things much easier. If you have large hands you'll really like these.
Those look good. What are the cost vs. grip puppies? I put the puppies on a couple of years ago and really like them for less than $10.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlt2002
If you want to stay with a factory style grip but your heater elements are working fine order BMW part 32 72 2 332 620. One for each side obviously. Price is less than $36.00 each from Chicago BMW. All you need to do then is carefully skin off the old grip rubber, clean the surface of the heater element, apply a bit of contact cement (make sure you don't get any near the end on the throttle side) then when the cement is set up slide on the grip and let it dry!

In the parts catalog they will show as a right hand grip for another bike entirely but they fit both sides of the KLT.

I bought these several years ago and they have lasted longer than my original set of grips.
Do these grippers look the same as original LT's?
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Those look good. What are the cost vs. grip puppies? I put the puppies on a couple of years ago and really like them for less than $10.
I couldn't put the price in my post last night because it was very late. I called the local HD shop and they said they are $7.95. I like them because they make the grips bigger and I have big hands. Nothing against them but the stock grips were a little wimpy to me. The reduction in vibration is a very big plus too. Heat comes through fine too.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress

Last edited by Raymarks; Aug 5th, 2010 at 1:51 pm. Reason: addition
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
Do these grippers look the same as original LT's?
BJ
The only difference is the holes on the very end of the grip are different. Otherwise they look just the same across the length. The grips come with a plastic insert that you simply take out then install them on your bike. My original grips lasted about 3 years until they started cracking. These have lasted 5 years so far and still show almost no wear. Go figure.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 1:22 pm

I know that I am going to get called nuts, but a while back my throttle grip came loose. I used a hose clamp. Put it up as close to the front as I could. It looked like hell but it got me home.
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:59 pm

I went to an electrical supply place and picked up a 4 ft length of heat shrink 1.5 inch dia. $22 worked great different colors available
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 5:32 pm

Tennis racket handle "tape" works great, padded, larger grip than stock and lets the heat thru. Anywhere from $5 to $8 each and last 5 or 6 years.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlt2002
The only difference is the holes on the very end of the grip are different. Otherwise they look just the same across the length. The grips come with a plastic insert that you simply take out then install them on your bike. My original grips lasted about 3 years until they started cracking. These have lasted 5 years so far and still show almost no wear. Go figure.
I used the same grips about two years ago and they worked out great. Had used the grip puppies, but the underlying OEM rubber grips got so bad, I ended up with bulges under the grip puppies. Replaced the grips with the part # showed above and then added on the grip puppies again, just because I liked the feel of them.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in