rear shock question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Question rear shock question

I have and 03 LT with 41K miles on it. over the last couple years, I have noticed what seems to be the rear shock weakening. Recently had the bike in for service and asked the mechanic if he had any "Used and in good condition rear shocks laying around". To my suprise he said that he had a "Take off" from a bike that was purchased new and converted to a trike. We agreed on price and it was installed during the inspection.

Just picked it up and rode it home. Here are my impressions.

1.I can now sit flat footed with the load tensioner cranked to High.
(couldn't before (I have a 29 - 30 inch inseam))
2. It seams much easier (than the original) to adjust to high while on the side stand.
3. In the "Low" position on the pre-load adjuster, I can sit on the bike with the side stand down and easily get the side stand to rub the pavement while in the upright position.
4. With the pre-load adjuster in the "High" position, the bike seems to elevate about 1 inch.

In general, the shock seems "spongier" than the original when it was new.
It rides lower also.
It also does not elevate the rear of the bike anywhere near what the original shock did when new.

Is it possible that a new old stock shock could loose hydraulic oil?
Would storing it on its side cause harm?
Shouldn't a new shock provide a firmer ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 7:04 pm

Garage
Re: rear shock question

1.the oil dissapears on the bike so why not when lying around
when you wind down the adjuster does it have pressure right from first click? if not then low on oil.
2. lying around ,probably wont hurt it
3. you would think it would be firmer but you are only taking the guys word for it how old it is.
4 if you have your old shock, with the bike on centrestand all preload off the new shock measure the spring length they should be the same, sounds to me like the new one is shorter

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 8:11 pm

Don't know were the shock oil goes but check and see if you can fill it.

http://members.cox.net/slartidbartfa.../shock-oil.htm

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion.
I think what I will do first is ride and observe.

Reason: I just took it out for a ride a few minutes ago and maybe, just maybe it is a tad bit better.

Here is what I am wondering: Is it possible that this shock was sitting somewhere on it's side or in some goofy position for and extended period. If the shock has seals and pistons that have been only partially bathed in hydraulic oil did they alter their characteristics and will this change once placed back into service???

If not I will either top it off or take a trip to the dealer.
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 9:49 am

Someone will jump in if I'm wrong with any of this, but factory shocks are only meant to last for around 30,000 mile and then be replaced. You can't rebuild them, thou there is someone out there that has found a place that will do it.
A lot of people including me have gone to either Wilbur or Olin shocks. The nice thing about these is that they are built for you to fit your riding style and weight. Also they can be rebuilt fairly inexpensively.

If you'd like more information on shocks in general I'd refer you to Ted Porter of Ted Porters Beemer Shop . He is very helpful and will educate you about shocks and the pro's and con's of the Wilbur's and Olin's. I picked the Wilbur's myself.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am

The hose expands over time - the fluid does not go anywhere, it simply occupies more volume.

The description above of how to refill has one VERY bad piece of advice: DO NOT use a screwdriver or any metal device to push the piston back down - use only a wooden dowel of other similar soft, blunt tipped object.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek1
I have and 03 LT with 41K miles on it. over the last couple years, I have noticed what seems to be the rear shock weakening. Recently had the bike in for service and asked the mechanic if he had any "Used and in good condition rear shocks laying around". To my suprise he said that he had a "Take off" from a bike that was purchased new and converted to a trike. We agreed on price and it was installed during the inspection.

Just picked it up and rode it home. Here are my impressions.

1.I can now sit flat footed with the load tensioner cranked to High.
(couldn't before (I have a 29 - 30 inch inseam))
2. It seams much easier (than the original) to adjust to high while on the side stand.
3. In the "Low" position on the pre-load adjuster, I can sit on the bike with the side stand down and easily get the side stand to rub the pavement while in the upright position.
4. With the pre-load adjuster in the "High" position, the bike seems to elevate about 1 inch.

In general, the shock seems "spongier" than the original when it was new.
It rides lower also.
It also does not elevate the rear of the bike anywhere near what the original shock did when new.

Is it possible that a new old stock shock could loose hydraulic oil?
Would storing it on its side cause harm?
Shouldn't a new shock provide a firmer ride?
You may want to consider more heavy duty springs than stock. Hyper Pro springs at $239.00 for front and rear can make a HUGE difference. They are a pita to install but worth the effort. For 95% of LT riders this is an excellent choice instead of spending $$$$ on aftermarket stuff.

Hyper Pro USA - Catalog

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
Someone will jump in if I'm wrong with any of this, but factory shocks are only meant to last for around 30,000 mile and then be replaced.
I think you are wrong... But that is just my opinion. My 02 has 45,000 miles and as per the local dealer/service, I can replace it for you with new shocks, but yours are fine and you probably won't notice a difference.

After might be better, but I feel that depends upon how you ride the bike and your riding weight. My local dealer feels that mine will probably be good for another 20-40,000 miles... Maybe he doesn't know what he is talking about, but why would he prevent a $1,200 sale!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 1:54 pm

Dan, no offence taken, just wanted to say that up front.

The comment I made about the shocks was after doing some research on this forum. This was about a year and a half ago and I can't remember which thread or who said what.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 5:01 pm

My stock shocks, with 36,000 miles, were still absorbing the bumps and keeping the tires in good contact with the road. No wallowing through corners or anything of that sort. What they were doing is getting closer and closer to the ground. I think the shocks are fine. I think the springs are not (I did the oil add).
I put on the Hyper Pro springs, on a pair of low mileage OEM, for around $280.00 for two springs. Definite difference on rough road in that the shock doesn't bottom out. I'm happy with them. I'll let you know how they are in another 30,000 or so.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 5:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
Dan, no offence taken, just wanted to say that up front.

The comment I made about the shocks was after doing some research on this forum. This was about a year and a half ago and I can't remember which thread or who said what.
Bob, you might be correct - I've been thinking about new shocks ( why I discussed it with local service ) because from day one, it feels like I'm bottoming out where my driveway hits the street. I still have the original shocks on my SUV with 88,000 miles! Original brakes too..

If I really felt that new shocks would make a positive difference, I'd replace them in a heartbeat.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 6:42 am

With the stock shocks it seems I hit a lot more on the speed bumps 2up. I think Hyper Pro said the springs were $239 a pair.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 7:44 pm

I just followed the top up procedure for my adjuster (2002 model LT) and after topping up the oil, found that the bike was noticably higher when the adjuster was in the same place as previously set. I had experienced the problem of insufficient lean on the side stand on level ground. The problem was such that I would look for a slope to put the bike on the side stand with the stand down slope. This solved my problem. I would agree the rubber hose expansion could account for the apparent loss of oil. Was an easy fix. . . . Bohn
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
The hose expands over time - the fluid does not go anywhere, it simply occupies more volume.

The description above of how to refill has one VERY bad piece of advice: DO NOT use a screwdriver or any metal device to push the piston back down - use only a wooden dowel of other similar soft, blunt tipped object.
+1 on using something soft to depress the piston.

A small nit on the volume, the oil doesn't occupy more volume ... it just now has more volume that needs to be occupied! :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #15 of 18 Old Aug 8th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
+1 on using something soft to depress the piston.

A small nit on the volume, the oil doesn't occupy more volume ... it just now has more volume that needs to be occupied! :-)
Norm Crosby was my father.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 3:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Norm Crosby was my father.
Was? I didn't know he had passed away. My condolences. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #17 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 5:32 am

My used '02 LT used to sit way too close to vertical on the sidestand. Just did the oil tpo-up and it made a terrific improvement. Who'd a thunk it was this easy? Thanks guys.

'02 K 1200 LT
'85 K100 RT
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders
My used '02 LT used to sit way too close to vertical on the sidestand. Just did the oil tpo-up and it made a terrific improvement. Who'd a thunk it was this easy? Thanks guys.
This is a great info guys,
I'm so glad, I lurked in today. I was wondering about this for a while and it looks like you just answered my question.
I did notice that when my wife sits on the bike, this thing sags low, lower than it used to. I blamed this on her weight gain (don't tell anyone...) but even though she may have gained a few pounds, this "missing oil" makes sense.
With almost 30k on my LT it's about time to check the shock oil level and top it off.

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in