Output shaft seal & weep hole? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Output shaft seal & weep hole?

I have developed the oil leak on the drive shaft housing after the rubber boot...I will assume it is the O-ring that is leaking...my question is when replacing the o-ring, will I be at a point that the weep hole could also be drilled?

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 2:47 pm

Re: Output shaft seal & weep hole?

Hey,

I've had a slight amount of oil under the boot for some time, before and after the weep hole drilling. It hasn't been enough for me to worry about, more of a trace than a leak.

If it is coming from "on high" it is your output seal and YES drill the weep hole then. For "short money" (yours not mine ) I would replace the slave and the other seal up top.

If it is coming from "down under" then it's coming from the final drive. That is where mine is leaking. I have put over 35K since I noticed it and it hasn't improved or got worse. I've got a spare final drive I'm debating whether to rebuild and install or wait.

How bad is the leak? Notice a few drops after pushing the boot back or is it developing a "level"?

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 3:17 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
I have developed the oil leak on the drive shaft housing after the rubber boot...I will assume it is the O-ring that is leaking...my question is when replacing the o-ring, will I be at a point that the weep hole could also be drilled?
Before you get all crazy, try to determine what is leaking. Having been in your boat prior, I replaced the FD oil with royal purple oil, ran it a bit, then checked the leak. If its your FD, you know what you are up against.

If however it is the seals at the GB, determine if it is a little or allot leak. Run Synthetic in the GB? if so, change back to Dino and the leak will either slow or stop. If it is allot then replacing the seals (I suggest the stealer) need replacing, to get to the GB the swing arm has to be removed thus allowing access to the slave..

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 7:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
There is no o-ring anywhere near there to leak. If you opened up the boot and found oil in there then like Hoss said you need to figure out whther it is from the rear output seal on the tranny or the input pinion seal on the rear drive. Neither of which have anything to do with the weep hole. Usually is is a weeping leak out of the rear tranny seal. Not a big deal unless it starts flowing instead of weeping.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in