I stand corrected on the power of the bike... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 7:37 am Thread Starter

I stand corrected on the power of the bike...

Hi,

A few posts ago, I complained about the bike lacking power compared to my previous bike.

Turns out, it most definitely may have been due to the "brown wire" fix needing to be applied, followed by the throttle reset and possibly, the final piece of the puzzle, of premium gas from a particular gas station of all things.

I remember on my old bike, with 36mm Mikuni carbs, that bike had a nasty flat spot around 4,000 rpms, which also was it's sweet spot for maintaining 60mph in 5th gear (4,500 rpm @ 70mph, 5,000 rpm @ 80mph for reference). To eliminate this, I turned out the gas mixture screws on each about 3/4 richer and advanced the ignition 3 degrees. This eliminated it completely, as well as gave me better experience with gas from many gas stations.

Prior to this, I do remember that certain gas stations gas made the bike run better, always using regular as regular has a bit more compression from what I recall.

Now, the bike moves, throws you back into your seat, and gives you the "Ya-Hoo!!!" fun factor that makes you want to ride...

So... one more niggler removed from the complaints "in" bin...

Thanks again to the forum for the find and the fix!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 8:11 am

Re: I stand corrected on the power of the bike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackConner
Hi,

A few posts ago, I complained about the bike lacking power compared to my previous bike.

Turns out, it most definitely may have been due to the "brown wire" fix needing to be applied, followed by the throttle reset and possibly, the final piece of the puzzle, of premium gas from a particular gas station of all things.

I remember on my old bike, with 36mm Mikuni carbs, that bike had a nasty flat spot around 4,000 rpms, which also was it's sweet spot for maintaining 60mph in 5th gear (4,500 rpm @ 70mph, 5,000 rpm @ 80mph for reference). To eliminate this, I turned out the gas mixture screws on each about 3/4 richer and advanced the ignition 3 degrees. This eliminated it completely, as well as gave me better experience with gas from many gas stations.

Prior to this, I do remember that certain gas stations gas made the bike run better, always using regular as regular has a bit more compression from what I recall.

Now, the bike moves, throws you back into your seat, and gives you the "Ya-Hoo!!!" fun factor that makes you want to ride...

So... one more niggler removed from the complaints "in" bin...

Thanks again to the forum for the find and the fix!
as most will agree the tooling around non highway RPM is most fun in the 4k range, the girl reds out at 8K!!!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SmokinJoe; Jul 31st, 2010 at 9:40 am.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
as most will aggree the tooling around non highway RPM is most fun in the 4k range, the girl reds out at 8K!!!

That is where I find the power start to show.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:48 am

Well she's no power house, but does pretty darned well for her size and comfort. I'm constantly getting spanked when we're running over about 80 or so - the FJRs and the C14 have way more high end power. Guess that's why everyone's excited about the new 1600.
Having said that, our last trip (guys only, FJRs and C14) I had no problems keeping up and even whuppin' the others. I video'd our run over some passes, and no one go away from the camera. It was even pretty cool to watch the FJR scraping around some of the faster curves, yet I never touched.
She's quite a bike.
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 8:42 pm

Jack, What was the "brown wire " fix?
Ron
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Snipping the little 22 gauge wire that ran along side the right side rail under the driver's seat and upon doing so, immediate notice and change in power throughout the entire range of the bike, but especially and more importantly, in 2nd where it had a nasty stall like action when applying the throttle.

Once I did the reset on the throttle, it got even better. Premium gas, also.

If I am going long distance and just doing highway, I would use regular. Why?

More compression from what I remember reading and at the higher highway speeds where the plugs and engine are hot but you are doing in the 4-5,000 rpm range, it wouldn't really have an affect overall. If I am doing backroad twisties and constantly revving her up, then I fill her up with premium.

post #7 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 5:04 pm

What exactly does (or did) the brown wire go to? I'm not having any trouble with my 04, but my curiosity is up.
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 5:57 pm

Garage

cutting the brown wire remaps the computer removes a hesitatation only under hot conditions and the higher octane fuel will give more performance and mileage
in search box and type brown wire it will give you all the information you seek

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 6:44 pm

Cutting the brown wire selects a secondary program in the engine controller to correct for hesitation in low RPM acceleration. It is usually not needed, but for some bikes ridden in hot temps it is a good fix, and it was only implemented for that purpose. It does however REQUIRE that premium fuel be used once the wire is cut.

I am surprised to hear that anyone has noticed much of a performance improvement other than the hesitation being removed. Yes, I did notice a SLIGHT improvement in throttle application response above 3500 RPM on mine, but other than removing the hot hesitation problem I had there was really little performance change. I think this is the affect most who have cut the brown wire have had. Fixed hesitation, but little else.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 6:50 pm

Linton and David thanks for the info. I may have to investigate that further
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in