She Likes It - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

She Likes It

Today I finally felt confident enough to take my wife for a ride on my, new to me, LT. As I had posted previously, one of the reasons for moving to the LT was hopes that she would ride with me. I spent a lot of time getting comfortable with the BEAST (for lack of a better term), so we finally gave it a go. And go we went. At 20 miles I asked her how she was doing and she said KEEP GOING. We ended up doing about 50 miles and she really likes it.

I was feeling a bit tense at stops and slow turns due to the extra weight. I haven't ridden 2 up for about 30 years. Any way, all is well and we will do some more short trips soon. We are both over weight and old and the getting on an off the bike isn't as smooth as it used to be, but we are very happy with being able to ride together.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Re: She Likes It

when your bride is happy.. well, that's good....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Hi,

I always deploy the side stand when my better half is getting on an off the bike. I don't use it, but it's there as additional support in the unlikely event of the bike leaning just a tad too far over.

Always gets on and off from the left side. Might be something you would like to do, just adds that extra level of confidence.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Garage

I find letting her off first while you are standing balancing the bike, then she can use your shoulder and the top box for balance while stepping between and off.I have the engine off, and the side stand down, you know just in case

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 5:23 pm

I installed floorboards for my wife, and I think they might help a little with her getting on and off, more footing.
Perhaps you should put the bike on the center stand and have her practice getting on and off. My wife gets on the left side also, puts her left foot on the board, then swings over. There's probably other ways, and maybe your wife can find a way that suits her best.
post #6 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
I find letting her off first while you are standing balancing the bike, then she can use your shoulder and the top box for balance while stepping between and off.I have the engine off, and the side stand down, you know just in case
Nearly the same sequence we use. When the engine goes off, it's her cue that she can get off if I haven't already told her.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #7 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 5:49 pm

You wont find a better bike than the LT for going down the highway 2 up. Plenty of power, great feel and comfortable for her. Like you say at slow speeds it can be tricky but with attention to detail you will be fine. Have fun.

Dave

Dave Van Zee
Mulberry IN

'00 K1200LT (Current ride)
'96 Honda PC800 (past ride)
'84 Kawasaki 600 (past ride)
post #8 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Yup, the first time she sat on the LT her hands naturally went to the luggage handles
and she felt more secure than she ever did on the K1100LT, she's been "lovin" it ever since.

If you haven't already done so,
you might consider moving the top box back,
to give both of y'all a little more space.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 29 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 6:05 pm

Glad you both are on board...

Traveling 2-up is a mind set... it has to be a way of life.

The LT is a big sleepy beotch at low speed. But everyone has to follow the rules and the rules are;

1. At low speed you limit your movement from the back seat. You move around and we go down, it's that simple.
2. At low speed, you stop the chatter, I am concentrating.
3. At low speed you either become a rock on the seat or we are all over the asphalt. Once she understands this, your life is made that much easier.
4. At any speed, warn me if you want to reach out and "grab the brass ring". I have had my SO make us change lanes when she hangs off the side of the LT abruptly trying to take pictures.
5. If something doesn't feel right, say something.

One more thing that can make the whole experience that much better? Get out in a parking lot and practice. Practice doing slow speed 2-up. Practice coming to a stop 2-up. Practice a panic stop 2-up. Practice the u-turn or tuns in a box 2-up. But you have to practice, as a team, together.

Oh, and +1 on the floorboards...

There is nothing like cranking down the highway or carving up twisties on the LT 2-up...

Glad the missus likes the LT... Keep on keepin' on... and be safe...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #10 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:52 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips and input, it is always a help to hear from others on their experiences etc.

Getting on and off issue. We probably do this incorrectly, but it is the only way it seems to work. I put the bike on the side stand and Gretchen gets on the rider seat, then she slides up onto the passenger seat. Then I get aboard and off we go. Dismounting, I get off first. Gretchen's knee problems don't allow her to swing her leg up and over.

I hope the center stand can handle the weight being put on it over a period of time.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #11 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 9:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Same here Boatzo. Vonda has had 2 knee replacement surgeries, and while they have worked wonders, she still doesn't have the flexibility that she used to have. Mounting onto the rider's seat first (since it is lower), then pushing herself back onto the passenger seat seems to work well for her without having to do a high "leg kick" with stiff knees.
Another comment on passengers: They can save your butt by leaning in the opposite direction if you ever start to go over at a stop, i.e. slope, loose gravel, etc. DAMHIK

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #12 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Thanks for all the tips and input, it is always a help to hear from others on their experiences etc.

Getting on and off issue. We probably do this incorrectly, but it is the only way it seems to work. I put the bike on the side stand and Gretchen gets on the rider seat, then she slides up onto the passenger seat. Then I get aboard and off we go. Dismounting, I get off first. Gretchen's knee problems don't allow her to swing her leg up and over.

I hope the center stand can handle the weight being put on it over a period of time.
Do you put bike on the side stand or the center stand? My wife and I share many of the issues mentioned here and she has some knee problems. If you both mount while the bike is on the center stand, what method do you use to get off the center stand? I've seen some rock the bike off the center stand and I've seen others ride it off. I don't know if either is good or bad. If she mounts when the bike is on the side stand it is a bit difficult for me to stand it up when I get on and I worry that the sidestand might fail. If I get on first, stand the bike up and then allow her to mount, it is very difficult for her due to knees. I don't know; we're still experimenting.

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:05 pm

This is a mini thread jack. Many of you may know that the reason I have the Hannigan sidecar is because my wife does not like to "tip". Boat, plane, banked curve in a car, motorcycle, it doesn't matter. NO TIPPING!!!

Well she's trying really hard and doing a great job.

We rode 289 miles yesterday from Vancouver, WA to several locations on the Oregon coast with return.

Was only admonished two times for going too fast in the corners as I had forgotten to keep it slow (posted speed + a little). A really huge and appreciated increase in "tip tolerance".

It was kind of funny (we actually both snickered a little) but when we got home her only complaints were: headache, sore butt, sore feet, her knees hurt and her hips were killing her. Maybe I could mount a sedan chair back there and hire a masseuse to keep down the aches and pains.............

All in all a great ride. Great weather, great ride, fear under much better control, and a great dinner!

Pretty sure she'll go again, likely for a shorter ride, but hey! Made progress. Thankful.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
Do you put bike on the side stand or the center stand? My wife and I share many of the issues mentioned here and she has some knee problems. If you both mount while the bike is on the center stand, what method do you use to get off the center stand? I've seen some rock the bike off the center stand and I've seen others ride it off. I don't know if either is good or bad. If she mounts when the bike is on the side stand it is a bit difficult for me to stand it up when I get on and I worry that the sidestand might fail. If I get on first, stand the bike up and then allow her to mount, it is very difficult for her due to knees. I don't know; we're still experimenting.
I mis-typed Arby, I meant to type SIDE STAND. We do not use the center stand for mounting / dis-mounting.

My big worry is how to get off in a hurry in an emergency !! I guess it just aint gonna happen and we go down with the ship.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
This is a mini thread jack. Many of you may know that the reason I have the Hannigan sidecar is because my wife does not like to "tip". Boat, plane, banked curve in a car, motorcycle, it doesn't matter. NO TIPPING!!!

We rode 289 miles yesterday from Vancouver, WA to several locations on the Oregon coast with return.

Was only admonished two times for going too fast in the corners as I had forgotten to keep it slow (posted speed + a little). A really huge and appreciated increase in "tip tolerance".

It was kind of funny (we actually both snickered a little) but when we got home her only complaints were: headache, sore butt, sore feet, her knees hurt and her hips were killing her. Maybe I could mount a sedan chair back there and hire a masseuse to keep down the aches and pains.............

All in all a great ride. Great weather, great ride, fear under much better control, and a great dinner!

Pretty sure she'll go again, likely for a shorter ride, but hey! Made progress. Thankful.

Loren
Loren, I thought about the side car route and still have it in the back of my mind. Glad you had a nice trip. BTW how does you wife feel about tipping at the resturant?

I was in a bike shop not long ago and was talking to the owner about side cars and he was giving me the benefit of his experience. He asked why I wanted a side car and I said" so that my wife will ride with me" Another customer listening in said "why in the hell would you want to do that". Well, to each his own, personally I like having the old girl with me as much as possible.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 4:08 pm

We almost always use the hydraulic center stand on the 05 and I dismount first and unhook the Baehr cable from Kathy's helmet to the bike, then she dismounts, dragging her right leg over the Bakup baskrest. She mounts first so I can hook her up again, and then it is my turn.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

Loren

Oh paleezzeeeeeee! The guy admittedly can't walk down 3 steps holding a tiny box without an accompaning airbag system to save his sorry butt from head injury, and now puts this sidecar thing on his wife!!!!
WHAT--------EVER!!!
post #18 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 5:51 pm

My Gawd this is a tough room! It was truly a great ride with overcast skies (no sun in eyes), really wispy occasional patches of light fog at the beach, and temp in the mid 60's down to low 50's coming back in the dark over the coast range. Very nice!

Tipping at the restaurant? Oh yeah, no problem doing that! We ate at the little (former) dumpy restaurant at Netarts Bay called The Schooner. Used to be an absolute dive with awesome oyster burgers. It has since turned into a VERY nice little restaurant with very high quality food. Wood fired pizza, fresh seafood etc. I had a grilled Game Hen stuffed with chorizo (homemade chorizo, rice, and seasonings). One of the best meals I've ever had. Homemade bleu cheese dressing was the best I've ever had. Next time the General Tso's wings. Saw an order of them and they are a definite next choice!

Anybody up for a ride to the coast next weekend? I'm ready to go back.

FYI, Netarts Bay is just outside of Tillamook.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Oh paleezzeeeeeee! The guy admittedly can't walk down 3 steps holding a tiny box without an accompaning airbag system to save his sorry butt from head injury, and now puts this sidecar thing on his wife!!!!
WHAT--------EVER!!!

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #19 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 6:01 pm

The best "rule" I ever gave my wife when riding is that she MUST look over my shoulder on the INSIDE of the turn. Never the outside. Especially when first learning to ride with you, it is common for a passenger to want to lean away from the turn, meaning you have to lean the bike even further into the turn. They can lean so far that you may not make a tight turn when you really need to!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #20 of 29 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
WHAT--------EVER!!!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #21 of 29 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 3:48 pm

OK, here goes, I'm new to this group and I currently ride a Buell Ulysses, '06. My girlfriend and I are both big, I'm 6'2", 215 pounds, she's 5'10" (???? pounds). She loves the Buell, I love it's power and handling, but it seems too small for the two of us. We've been thinking about a GS because it seems like a bigger bike, (longer wheelbase etc), but then took a ride on a Gold Wing, she loved it, but I can't ride that thing every day like I do the Buell, and I can't stand the style.
So we're looking at the LT for REAL comfort and longer trips.
Right now on the Buell, anything longer than 60 miles, she's yelling to get off!!
We'd like to go to the Catskill BMW rally in October, but she'll never make it on the Uly. (About 150 miles each way).
So it's either a GS or an LT
Whaddya all think????
post #22 of 29 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 4:53 pm

In my totally biased opinion................ the LT. Beeyooteeful to look at, more room, great amenities, enough power, and great handling characteristics.

Not so good off road.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #23 of 29 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 5:20 pm

You will get used to leaning, as will she, and things will work better for you both on the LT. My wife and have logged 17,000 together miles on the 07 LT - here in Chicago and most recently in Iowa, Nebraska, Utah, Oregon and Washington for the BMW MOA.

I agree with what others have said. Three key things and one really nice to have.

1) The LT can go down, but the wings and the luggage provide really good protection for both the rider and the passenger.
2) I cannot begin to stress how many times good boots with soft, gripping sole have saved our behinds when stopping on dirt, grit, sand and oil.
3) Avoid those and the leaves which will soon be our friends on the road.

The best thing I have bought for the two of us and the LT are the Nolan N103 helmets with the Bluetooth wireless intercom. We like to talk and listen to music on trips. The phone works and we can both hear both the phone and the Garmin Nav. But what is surprisingly the best part for her is no cord to wind around when getting on the bike behind me. It has made her life much easier.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #24 of 29 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 8:47 am

Boatzo: Very happy for you friend, there's not much better than riding with your wife. Mine has gone through a bunch of different bikes with me before the LT, and now since we got the LT she has become a certified 'addict'. You will recognize this behavior in your own wife if she ever walks into the room carrying both helmets and rainsuits and starts batting her eyes and giving you that pouty look. When our schedules jive, she even has us 'bike-pooling' on our 45 minute commute to work (funny how the suggestion for car-pooling never came up). Hey....there are a lot worse things to put up with.
Beatnickfly: I have put some two-up miles on the Ulysses (I thought it might be a good alternative to a GS...great bike, but not a GS) and found it to be a little cramped for two up with 'normal sized' people like us on it. I am about your size and I found the 1800 Wing uncomfortable and 'smallish' because of the proximity of the bars to my knees, but my wife (5ft 2) liked the Wings back seat. For us though, the LT is a much better 'fit'. I can actually reach out a bit to the bars and she loves her seating accommodations as well, especially the heat when we ride in the 40's.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #25 of 29 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:34 am

Thanks Vance, I felt the same about the Wing, I'm too cramped for such a big bike. I'm used to a dirt bike riding position, hence the Buell and the GS, but neither come close to the LT for the passenger.
We're going to look at an '05 tomorrow night.
The best part about all this, it was HER idea !!! Wahoo !!!
post #26 of 29 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 10:38 am

Cool Re: She Likes It

Hey Vance, Bultacos??? that was looong time ago. ran the Pursang in NY scrambles races before anyone even knew about motocross. Short track the Astro at Accord Speedway. You could fit the both of 'em in the top case on the LT.
post #27 of 29 Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:19 pm

Beatnickfly, I miss the Pursang and the Astro both....the Pursang is what I finally learned to turn RIGHT on!
Most LT's you will see have the top box mounted all the way forward and could give you a semi-false impression of how much passenger room there is.
When you check out the LT, look to see if the top box has been moved back, if it hasn't, it's only a 15 minute job to move it rearward and she will sure have a lot more room.
I didn't move mine until AFTER our first long trip.....and she still reminds me of that!

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #28 of 29 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Thumbs up Re: She Likes It

Beatnickfly,
When my wife finally started riding with me again, an hour, maybe two was all she would do on my Buell S3T. That's even after I bought a Corbin seat with a backrest for her.
I love my Buell, but this LT is just awesome for riding any distance alone or two up. This last weekend she went on her longest trip ever. 6+ hours each way (with multiple rest / meal / snack stops) to Ottawa,stayed a couple of nights and rode back.She would have never, ever considered it on the Buell.
We looked at Wings (old and new) ,Harleys, Ventures, R1200RT, K1300GT, FJR, Concourse, Moto Guzzi Norge,....well pretty much everything and I am so glad we went for the LT. I've put 5,000 miles so far and I am still a little shaky with the 2 up low speed stuff, but once moving........WOW! Corners great, not a rocket ship but plenty of power to haul people, luggage ,and still pass cars like crazy!
I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #29 of 29 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Newbuellertoo, I tried my friend's Wing, it's an '06, 1800. Took a little work, but I was able to do a U-turn on my street, (maybe 40' wide??) without putting my foot down. A lot of Enduro and trial riding experience helped.
But I've never ridden such a heavy bike, about the same as an LT?? Wer'e going to look at an '05 on Sunday, takin' the Ulysses up so she can see the difference.
I'm 64, this'll be the first bike I ever got that I had to consider a passenger on. My ex-wife didn't like to ride. (That's one of the reasons she's the ex).
The Buell is a great handling road bike, but there is no more Buell. A real shame.

2005 K1200LT
1987 K75S
2010 Honda XR650
Buell Ulsses (R.I.P)
R100GS
++++++
"Hey, I figure what the hell, you know what I mean??"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in