Shrinking gas tank??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

Shrinking gas tank???

I noticed recently that every time I try to fill up, I can put less gas than I used to. My last fillup was about 5 gallons - up to the brim, when the tank was almost empty.
After filling up, the fuel gauge shows only about 3/4 full even though I can't put anymore gas in it.
Bike runs fine, no problems with starting, idling and on highway is perfectly smooth.
I thought that perhaps the charcoal canister got plugged in and my tank is collapsing, but I don't see any side effects of plugged canister.
Anyone experienced anything like this?

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Shrinking gas tank???

Based on what you said you have a faulty fuel sending tube. If you fill it on the side stand all the way up and it shows only 3/4 tank, the float is stuck.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

When you remove the gas cap do you hear a sucking / swishing sound? If so then the canister is plugged causing the tank to collapse on the filler / float tube. Removing the canister will stop it from happening again. Also you will need to fix the float tube.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
When you remove the gas cap do you hear a sucking / swishing sound? If so then the canister is plugged causing the tank to collapse on the filler / float tube. Removing the canister will stop it from happening again. Also you will need to fix the float tube.
I didn't notice any hissing sound when removing gas cam, but it could be because I didn't really pay attention to it. Next time I will listen carefully.

Now, if it looks like the canister is plugged in, I will have to perform the canisteroctomy - I think someone has described it well in this forum. Them, if the tank has partially collapsed, can it be bushed back with air pressure?

Also, what is the float tube, what brakes in it and how to fix it - do I need to get a new one?

Thanks in advance
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #5 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Based on what you said you have a faulty fuel sending tube. If you fill it on the side stand all the way up and it shows only 3/4 tank, the float is stuck.
Thanks for advise,
What is sending tube? Is it some kind of float sensor or a tube that is connected to float sensor.
If that was a float sensor showing only 3/4 tank full even if it was 100% full, why can I only put less than 5 gallons if the tank is almost empty - trip meter showing 20 miles until empty.

What's interesting, I noticed a while ago that sometimes after refuelling, my fuel gauge did not show full tank right away - it was changing slow and it took several minutes to show the tank full. So, for the first few miles after refuelling, I was driving with the fuel red light ON and then the fuel gauge was creeping up slowly. It didn't happen every time, only once in a while. But then, I was able to put around 6 gallons in almost empty tank. Now I can put a little over 4 and the fuel gauge does not delay as before.

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #6 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:49 am

What is sending tube? Is it some kind of float sensor or a tube that is connected to float sensor.
If that was a float sensor showing only 3/4 tank full even if it was 100% full, why can I only put less than 5 gallons if the tank is almost empty - trip meter showing 20 miles until empty.

What's interesting, I noticed a while ago that sometimes after refuelling, my fuel gauge did not show full tank right away - it was changing slow and it took several minutes to show the tank full. So, for the first few miles after refuelling, I was driving with the fuel red light ON and then the fuel gauge was creeping up slowly. It didn't happen every time, only once in a while. But then, I was able to put around 6 gallons in almost empty tank. Now I can put a little over 4 and the fuel gauge does not delay as before.

Those are classic symptoms of a sending unit on the way out... you may indeed have other issues as well, only a good inspection will tell you exactly what's happening. While I've never had to replace mine there is a good chance that the unit - or the guts to rebuild it - can be purchased outside of your dealer and save some serious $$ since they are asking $150.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sending unit.png
Views:	66
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	28264  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

Those are classic symptoms of a sending unit on the way out... you may indeed have other issues as well, only a good inspection will tell you exactly what's happening. While I've never had to replace mine there is a good chance that the unit - or the guts to rebuild it - can be purchased outside of your dealer and save some serious $$ since they are asking $150.00.
That may be the case.
Just wonder, if that thing is messed up could it show that I'm out of gas too early, even though I may still have something like 2 gallons left?

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #8 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
That may be the case.
Just wonder, if that thing is messed up could it show that I'm out of gas too early, even though I may still have something like 2 gallons left?

BJ
Yes.
post #9 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Quote:
That may be the case.

BJ
Yup, I'd think so. Assumption: it's hung up at the half-tank position. Fuel level gets that low and the sensor sez "oh, oh - outta gas". In fact, you still have the bottom half of the tank still unused. You fill up and it doesn't take the full 6.33 gallons cuz there wuz still the amount below the hung up sensor left in the tank.
post #10 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yup, I'd think so. Assumption: it's hung up at the half-tank position. Fuel level gets that low and the sensor sez "oh, oh - outta gas". In fact, you still have the bottom half of the tank still unused. You fill up and it doesn't take the full 6.33 gallons cuz there wuz still the amount below the hung up sensor left in the tank.
I think I'll brave it to test it and drive until the engine stops out of gas, then fill it up and see how much it takes.

BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #11 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
I think I'll brave it to test it and drive until the engine stops out of gas, then fill it up and see how much it takes.

BJ
Just strap a 1 gal gas can to the rear seat and ride ride ride.

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 4:32 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Fill up every 220 miles & don't worry about it until you get it fixed.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 22 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Quote:

BJ
If you do this, hit the kill switch as soon as it sputters. The fuel pump doesn't do well when there's no fuel being run through it.

Or do as my friend, Dave suggested above. "Tanks", Dave.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #14 of 22 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 9:54 am

Quote:
What's interesting, I noticed a while ago that sometimes after refuelling, my fuel gauge did not show full tank right away - it was changing slow and it took several minutes to show the tank full.....BJ
BJ, this happens to mine very often, it is an electrical fluke, creeps up to full in about 1/2 to 1 hour. Used to worry me. Happens more often if I accidentally leave the key on & turn off while filling. (I use the sidestand to kill the engine in first gear)
The indicator never fakes me out on having too much gas though, shows low when low. You do fill while on the SIDE STAND right?
Hopefully your 2007 bike is still under warranty so be sure to report to the dealer before the warranty expires, especially if the problem exited while in warranty.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #15 of 22 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:27 pm

I don't think my 2000 LT fuel gauge has ever show it is totally full. Usually shows 3/4 full right after I fill up, and has ever since I have had her. I never really worried about it to much.
post #16 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 12:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
I don't think my 2000 LT fuel gauge has ever show it is totally full. Usually shows 3/4 full right after I fill up, and has ever since I have had her. I never really worried about it to much.
If this is just a gauge malfunction, I can live with that. But if it is my tank collapsing (because clogged charcoal canister?), then I'm afraid it may get worse.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #17 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 7:39 am

If your canister is clogged the tank can indeed collapse. The side of the tank will crush into the sending unit tube, the float is inside of this tube. The tube is a very light gauge metal and once the tube is dented the float will not slide properly. The tube can easily be straighted once removed from the tank.

Chuck

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #18 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 8:02 am

Talking Re: Shrinking gas tank???

Quote:
I noticed recently that every time I try to fill up, I can put less gas than I used to. My last fillup was about 5 gallons - up to the brim, when the tank was almost empty.
After filling up, the fuel gauge shows only about 3/4 full even though I can't put anymore gas in it.
Bike runs fine, no problems with starting, idling and on highway is perfectly smooth.
I thought that perhaps the charcoal canister got plugged in and my tank is collapsing, but I don't see any side effects of plugged canister.
Anyone experienced anything like this?
My 05 does the same thing. when new, fill ups BC would show 310 to 315 miles to empty. Now a fill up shows 260 to 280. BC goes up and down, some times it get stuck on a number for 30 miles or more then drops. Low fuel light consistently comes on with 40 to 42 miles on the BC with 5.5 to 5.7 to fill tank to very top with bike on side stand. Have not yet run out of fuel, but have filled with 6.2 gal on a couple of occasions.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #19 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Hopefully your 2007 bike is still under warranty so be sure to report to the dealer before the warranty expires, especially if the problem exited while in warranty.
I think I would start here. If out of warranty then yes try to troubleshoot.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #20 of 22 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 5:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
If this is just a gauge malfunction, I can live with that. But if it is my tank collapsing (because clogged charcoal canister?), then I'm afraid it may get worse.
BJ
The tank will not keep collapsing and based on your symptoms I think it is just a bad sending unit (tube - float).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #21 of 22 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:19 am

Everyone keeps asking about filling on the side stand. How important is that? Is it just the risk of flowing into the canister? I'm asking because I have a trike and it's impossible to fill in in any position but straight up. I was going to do the canisterectomy some day. Do I need to make that a priority? I've so far been trying to not fill it all of the way (never seen the gauge show full yet).

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

post #22 of 22 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:11 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenhauer
Everyone keeps asking about filling on the side stand. How important is that? Is it just the risk of flowing into the canister? I'm asking because I have a trike and it's impossible to fill in in any position but straight up. I was going to do the canisterectomy some day. Do I need to make that a priority? I've so far been trying to not fill it all of the way (never seen the gauge show full yet).
Not critical in your case but on the side stand you can get a bit more in for those long trips. You can over fill on either stand if not careful.

You just need to carry a block of wood to drive up on with the right rear wheel .

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in