gear indicator problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:33 am Thread Starter

gear indicator problem

Good day forum members,
I am new to this forum and on my first bmw. A black 09 lt with the chrome package.
I am having a problem with the gear indicator numbers on the dash. When in all gears it reads zero except 1st. Though the bike shifts fine I can no longer read what gear I'm in. The neutral light does come on in neutral though. Does anyone know what causes this glitch and how it can be resolved. Alas I am several hundred kms from the dealer, as I'm sure they would keep it for weeks if I seen them anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:59 am

Re: gear indicator problem

Welcome!

The most likely culprit is a disconnected wire connector on the wires that lead from the gear indicator unit on the back of the transmission. The connector is unter the plastic body panels, (tupperware, as we lovingly call it), on the right side of the bike. It would take you about 30 minutes to get to the connector, and 5 seconds to plug it back in, then another 30 or so minutes to put the plastic back on.

There are numerous threads here on removing the plastic.

If you have any forum members in your area, they may chime in and offer to help.

Hope this helps.

George Barnes

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkrazykat
Good day forum members,
I am new to this forum and on my first bmw. A black 09 lt with the chrome package.
I am having a problem with the gear indicator numbers on the dash. When in all gears it reads zero except 1st. Though the bike shifts fine I can no longer read what gear I'm in. The neutral light does come on in neutral though. Does anyone know what causes this glitch and how it can be resolved. Alas I am several hundred kms from the dealer, as I'm sure they would keep it for weeks if I seen them anyway.
Even better since you're out of town see if there is a dealer close by who might fix it for you faster than your home dealer.

When I first read your post I was thinking Hmmm..... Let's see...... Long ways from home and his GEAR INDICATOR DOESN'T WORK? So What! Never even thought something like a digital gear indicator would EVER exist back in the day. But then..... It's amazing how quickly we come to rely on the little extras technology has brought us. For example complain to a GoldWing owner that your electric windshield stopped working and they would think you are a wus. Because they have never known the convenience of the electric windshield.

In the meantime my friend you should rely on two things:

1.) Your tachometer Shift up or down to keep the revs right
2.) Your ability to count When you stop you will need to work your way down the shift pattern until the gearbox stops shifting. You will be in first gear.

In the meantime ride the bejeebers out of it till you are ready to park it for the winter then have the dealer fix it.

Unless you have the tupperware off for some other reason.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The connector for the gear indicator is on the left side, not the right. The speed sensor for the reverser is on the right side. This is a switch which produces a binary coded signal over four wires (3 data, 1 ground) to the dash unit. To get neutral all three wires are fed to ground through the switch and connector. Since you are detecting neutral that pretty well eliminates the switch and the connector so I suspect it is an issue with the dash unit itself. Time to see the dealer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I read through some posts after a search and now have a reason to tear the LT down. As I recall the shift indicator stopped worked while I was riding through a heavy downpour. (loose wire no doubt)
I have 22 years of riding on about just as many machines, but this being my first BMW. I have two other japanese machines and one is even liquid cooled. The LT definately has my wife and I spoiled. Just this weekend past we did a 1600km ride around Cape Breton. I've done this ride many times but never in two days. Praise the LT.
I fear that as things (electronics) start to malfunction on my LT I will accept it and ride the piss out of it anyway. So if you get passed by an LT missing signal lights,blowing smoke and held together with zip ties and ductape.......fear not it is just I.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I like your attitude !!! It is a great ride. But almost everything is fixable on these bikes although some parts are $$$$.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 7 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 12:15 am

If the bike is new I would also take it to the dealer. It should just be a in-out job if you book first.

Problem with things like this going wrong is that if something similar occurs, they could always blame you for fixing the first one when in guarantee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in