No Rear Brakes! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 2:32 am Thread Starter

No Rear Brakes!

Went on a short 60 mile hop today. Halfway home,,lost rear brakes!! Totally bottoming out foot brake with zero braking. ABS lights started cycling. So I rode the last 30 miles under 35 MPH,,wow. Used gears and front brakes only no big deal. Got home, no brake fluid in rear reservoir,,,evidence of brake fluid all over foot pedal and surrounding area. Filled up reservoir,,got the foot pedal to pump up,,normal brake action,,but lots of fluid leaked back out under the foot pedal....The TUPPERWARE REMOVAL saga begins!!!! Hopefully its just a busted brake line! Anyone have experience with this??

Thanks for any knowledge in advance!

Mustang130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:46 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: No Rear Brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang130
Went on a short 60 mile hop today. Halfway home,,lost rear brakes!! Totally bottoming out foot brake with zero braking. ABS lights started cycling. So I rode the last 30 miles under 35 MPH,,wow. Used gears and front brakes only no big deal. Got home, no brake fluid in rear reservoir,,,evidence of brake fluid all over foot pedal and surrounding area. Filled up reservoir,,got the foot pedal to pump up,,normal brake action,,but lots of fluid leaked back out under the foot pedal....The TUPPERWARE REMOVAL saga begins!!!! Hopefully its just a busted brake line! Anyone have experience with this??

Mustang130
Yep a lot of us have.
First what year is your bike?
If you bike is over 5 to 7 years old upgrade ALL your lines to stainless steal lines.

HERE is a bunch of threads about your problem

HERE is a thread on Speigler SS brake lines

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:51 am

Sounds like the master cylinder is leaking or the brake line connected to it. Remove the footpeg plate to see what's going on (just 3 screws). If you want to see a diagram of what the master cylinder and brake line look like, go to the on line parts fiche at max bmw. If it is the master cylinder it will be leaking out of the bottom. Looks like the master cylinder is about $175.00 from Max BMW. Always change the washers on the brake line banjo fittings (2 per fitting). Then bleed the brakes. If it is the brake line you will need to remove some of the tupperware to replace. You can buy the whole set, front and rear from Spiegler for $235.00. The rear is pretty easy as it has only 2 lines. There are four on the front are a little more time consuming. There is lots of info on brakes on the forum. Apparently BMW recommends replacing the brake lines every 4 years. I have a 2001LT and had a rear brake line fail near the rear caliper a couple of months ago. Hopefully the stainless steel ones will last forever.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 9:39 am

+1 to eslee and katnapinn's comments. The same thing happened to mine and I thought I only needed to replace one line, so I had Hydraulic House in Austin make me an identical SS line....walked out in 15 minutes with my new $65 line thinking to myself, wow...for a quarter of the price of a whole new set of Spiegler lines!

Well.....it wasn't but a week later when my front line from the handbrake/master cylinder started leaking! Got home and ordered Spiegler. I had to wait about 10 days for the lines to come in 'cause they were waiting on one of the odd fittings to come in from Austria (it seems they recently filled alot of orders and ran out).

It took me about three hours to install all the Spiegler SS lines with the exception of the one I had replaced a few weeks prior....that Spiegler line is now in my bike repair kit in its own ziplock bag!

Note....the colors of the fittings and hoses cost extra from Spiegler and it would've taken Mathias (the rep) longer to get what I wanted (Blue & Blue)....so I opted for the straight SS and silver look....which turned out very nice!

IMHO....take the plunge and go with Spiegler....they have a lifetime guarantee and it'll put your stopping mind at ease when riding!

Good luck on your decision!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang130

Mustang130
Darn, My rear brakes went out somewhere between Orlando and Miami last night

It was after dark when I hit the hotel so did not get a chance to look at it and I have been in meetings all day. I will take a peak later today.

I feel your pain, And just a few months ago I replaced the rear brake line next to the right foot. ...

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in