Stranded in Wichita in 2nd gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Stranded in Wichita in 2nd gear

I'm stranded in Wichita.
I broke the ball stud to the shift linkage. It is the ball on the linkage side not on the footshifter side.
The actual bolt/threads part has broke so that I can not screw it back in.

And help would be apreceated ... advice on a bike shop that would help? Any cross reference or knowledge of the size of the bolt?

I can drive the bike but would rather not drive around town in one grear to dead ends trying to get fixed.

My Anonymous book is sitting nicely next to my chair at home. Doh!

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.

Last edited by BallsCasten; Jul 28th, 2010 at 9:08 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Re: Stranded in Wichita in 2nd gear

anyone ever get the bike rolling from a stop in 5th gear?

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
post #3 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Wink Re: Stranded in Wichita in 2nd gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
anyone ever get the bike rolling from a stop in 5th gear?
No, but you should be able to shift it into 3rd and go from a stop to over 65 no prob! To shift it you need to get behind the left foot plate (removing it is preferred) and move the linkage that is still connected by hand. You can find 3rd easy enough if it is on the center stand by just moving the rear wheel while you shift it.

Good Luck!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Thx,
Iím in a dilemma that I have a spare car here in Wichita but no one to fix the bike. But if I can get it rolling in 5th its all interstate to KC and Engles but then I donít have a ride to Home, Des Moines. Iím going to check a few of the cycle shops here in town in the morning.

Yes I have the plate and parts off. Just no way to thread the stud back in because half the stud is broke off in the threads.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
post #5 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Some times you can get to the back side of the threaded part and use a pair of pliers to remove the remaining part from the back side. May have to remove the bell crank to get at it. 10mm nut on the back side 4 or 5 mm allen on the front. The threads for the ball stud are M6.

Maybe I need to do a video on repairing the shift linkage. It can be done on the road with the standard tool kit (at least the one that came with the pre 07 bikes). I always carry a spare ball stud as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

thats what Im looking for ... it fells rounded on the back side but it is probably grease and I can fell it.
If I understand you. You're saying I can thread/screw that in farther or actually out. Which would give me room to get the half threads left on the stud to get me to the shop????

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
post #7 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
thats what Im looking for ... it fells rounded on the back side but it is probably grease and I can fell it.
If I understand you. You're saying I can thread/screw that in farther or actually out. Which would give me room to get the half threads left on the stud to get me to the shop????
Used to be that one of the Honda dealers in Wichita also dealt with BMW - might call around tomorrow to see if still is.
post #8 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 4:11 am

Call Lone Star BMW, (512) 451-7979 to see if they have the ball stud and overnight it to your location. With the broken piece left on mine, I was able to screw out the back side with a pair of pliers. Not a big job, circlips being the biggest PITA and making sure the ball has fully seated in the well before putting the circlip in. Check/tighten all other studs, using locktite blue if you find a loose one, 8mm or 5/16 tightens the ball stud. Install the side plate ball linkage last with circlip.

Hope this helps,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #9 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Some times you can get to the back side of the threaded part and use a pair of pliers to remove the remaining part from the back side. May have to remove the bell crank to get at it. 10mm nut on the back side 4 or 5 mm allen on the front. The threads for the ball stud are M6.

Maybe I need to do a video on repairing the shift linkage.
It can be done on the road with the standard tool kit (at least the one that came with the pre 07 bikes). I always carry a spare ball stud as well.

Yes, please!!!

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #10 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Maybe I need to do a video on repairing the shift linkage. It can be done on the road with the standard tool kit (at least the one that came with the pre 07 bikes). I always carry a spare ball stud as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdavey
Yes, please!!!
+1!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:14 am

Doug, I have a set of repair parts I can overnight to you if you are still awaiting parts

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:29 am

3rd gear works best, you can still get the bike moving with a little clutch slipping, and ride 70 MPH on the freeways with no problem. BTDT. The bike seemed happy doing it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:43 am

Wink Re: Stranded in Wichita in 2nd gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
3rd gear works best, you can still get the bike moving with a little clutch slipping, and ride 70 MPH on the freeways with no problem. BTDT. The bike seemed happy doing it.
Like I said earlier as well! Dave just reaffirms it. And BTDT myself is how I knew! Gentle on the clutch engagement, and you're home free! And this engine likes the high RPM's remember, so highway speeds will not hurt her.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:48 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Like I said earlier as well! Dave just reaffirms it. And BTDT myself is how I knew! Gentle on the clutch engagement, and you're home free! And this engine likes the high RPM's remember, so highway speeds will not hurt her.

John
yep, rode mine about 60 miles home in 3rd gear with half the way in stop and go traffic.

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 9:04 am
cwo

Howdy

I am about 30 minutes from Engles in KC. Let me know if you need anything.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #16 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys.
Went out this morning and turned out the old stud .. from the backside. Orderd a new one from Engles and it will be here tomorrow. Ordered a spare to keep on the bike as well.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
post #17 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:12 pm

Quote:
(snip) It can be done on the road with the standard tool kit (at least the one that came with the pre 07 bikes). I always carry a spare ball stud as well.
I guess the one on the linkage could be repaired road-side, but, when the stud on the shifter on mine broke a couple of weeks ago, I needed to drill it and use a screw extractor to get the piece out. Now, I guess I could carry a small, battery operated drill and an extractor, (and a vise would be nice too)....

I did as mentioned in the other posts: shifted it into third by hand and rode it the 30 miles home, no problem.

GB

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

post #18 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are correct George. I forget about that one since the 05 and up went to an M8 there from an M6 thread. Periodic maintenance, checking for tighness and lubing the pockets will result in almost no failures.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Gold Supporter

LIke you concluded, no BMW support in Wichita.
Sounds like you have a plan, if it falls through, give me a call (I'll PM the number) and you can cannabilize my 2000 for a parts swap.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #20 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:13 pm

If things do not work out try
(316) 267-9121
1520 E Douglas Ave ∑ Wichita ∑Big Dog
Mid America Powersports
333 N West St
Wichita KS 67203
Phone: (316)945-8221
Use to sell and service BMW's
I am about 100 miles north of you if there is anything I can do to help.
post #21 of 25 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Brothers don't always get along. But they're still brothers. That's why I like this forum.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #22 of 25 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdavey
Yes, please!!!

+1

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #23 of 25 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Again everyone thank you for the help and suggestions.
Stud came in this morning, its installed and I'm heded home.

After going throught it, it is pretty simple. Except the lock pin with the linkage on. Well not simple for someone with fat hands.

Again thank you.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
post #24 of 25 Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Except the lock pin with the linkage on. Well not simple for someone with fat hands.

Funny story ,... I had order a few extra ( lock pin ) to have on hand ...just in case . Well when I was putting my bike together ,after putting in a E-Bay gear box in it a month ago . I managed to drop one of the lock pins . I couldn't find it any were . So I stick in one of the spares . Two days ago , I get in the house . I am thinking , what is stuck to my shoe ...It was the lock pin stuck in my sneaker .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #25 of 25 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:35 am

Garage

I broke my ball stud last summer... then when riding with an HD friend I noticed her bike had ball studs on the shift linkage... so I checked with the local HD dealer & found out they have them in stock.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in