DEER ABsBY - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

DEER ABsBY

I got up at 6am this morning, did my usual preparation for a 72 hour shift, packed my clothes and food on the LT, got my to go cup full of hot java, kissed the wife goodbye, and headed out for my 35 minute ride to work. It was cool, mid fifties, foggy, but always a beautiful ride here on Whidbey Island. Got her up to 55, cruise locked in, coffee in hand, no traffic, in the groove....went around a curve, and there in the road directly in front of me was a deer taking her morning stroll across the road......panic turned into reaction, and before I knew it, I was bearing down on both brakes and hoping the impact would be lessened by my reduced speed....I don't know if the deer finally realized that I was there, or was alerted by the HOLY SHIT! that was spewing forth from my open mouth, but at the last second, she leaped to the other side of the road, and I missed my opportunity for fresh roadkill. Upon reflection immediately after the incident, two things came to mind, the first being that I wondered what the heck happened to my coffee? Unbelievably, it somehow ended up in the cup holder.....wow, I saved the coffee.....(This is after all the Pacific Northwest!) Secondly, I am 100% sure that if I had been riding a bike without ABS, you probably wouldn't be reading this story until I got out of the hospital. Inspite of my "panic" stop, the LT never felt like it was out of control, made a beautiful slow down without locking the wheels, stayed straight, and most importantly SAVED MY BACON. I don't want you to get the wrong impression here, I would also like to take a few moments to recognize the incredible athleticism of the doe that managed to wait to the very last second before leaping so beautifully from the center of the road clear to the other side before disappearing into the trees....(You wonder why I hit the brakes instead of trying to swerve?)
A few minutes after arriving at work, one of my co-workers asked why I was still sitting on my bike?....It takes a while for the ass muscles to release after a pucker of that magnitude. I am sure that there is a lesson to be learned from this, but for now I am just enjoying being at work in one piece, and sharing...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Re: DEER ABsBY

That is good that you saved the coffee.

There is never a time to get fully off guard, is there? However things may look, there is always something lurking and out there to get you. This only reminds me to always be aware during the ride. Thanks for keeping me from getting complacent.

Great job saving the deer and your a$$!
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Thanks for sharing this story. I ride 30 min each day to work through the corn fields and countryside with my biggest worry being deer. I can ride with a little more confidence that the ABS will save me if I need it.

Dave Van Zee
Mulberry IN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 K1200LT (Current ride)
'96 Honda PC800 (past ride)
'84 Kawasaki 600 (past ride)

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Great write up.
Great power assist ABS brakes too.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:29 pm

For starters, maybe drinking coffee while driving any motorcycle, especially entering a curve, is not the best idea. Just a thought.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #6 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 5:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
For starters, maybe drinking coffee while driving any motorcycle, especially entering a curve, is not the best idea. Just a thought.
Nice thought but you cannot be correct.

Follow the logic:

If it were unsafe to drink coffee while riding a motorcycle........
The Supreme BMW Motorrad Engineer would have never invented the $158.99 BMW cup holder!

Rich, I would suggest you go to work for another company so that your commute keeps you right by the mussel beds. They don't venture onto the highway.

I really like living in the Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA area but Whidbey Island / Oak Harbor is one of the most ideal parts of the country to live in that I have ever seen.

You are a lucky man to live in OH (Oak Harbor).

Be safe,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Quote:
It clearly states in the Rider's Manual that the additional safety afforded by the ABS is sufficient excuse to take more risks and ride in a less safe manner. Or something like that, I kind of skimmed that section.
post #8 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm
Gold Supporter

Those deer don't always know when they are supposed to be bedded down either.
I had one cross the road in front of me the other day, high noon, almost 100 degree F.
Far enough ahead I just watched the show, but guess you can never let your guard down.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Stupid forest rats!

I saw 2 deer Tues. am - dark thirty on a road with several large cornfields. They were walking toward the road in the yard before the cornfield. They saw me coming and turned away from the road. When I layed down on the horn, they left in great haste. Hated to wake up the neighbors, but I'm trying to keep those forest rats out of the road. And off of me.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Nice thought but you cannot be correct.

Follow the logic:

If it were unsafe to drink coffee while riding a motorcycle........
The Supreme BMW Motorrad Engineer would have never invented the $158.99 BMW cup holder!

On the other hand , Detroit puts some fine cup holders in there cars , But then ...here in Michigan drinking & driving is a ticketable offence ( at least it was when I went to drivers Ed ) . That is , Coffee , water ..you name it . The ticket for alcohol is something to do with open containers + the drinking & driving .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #11 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
I got up at 6am this morning, did my usual preparation for a 72 hour shift, packed my clothes and food on the LT, got my to go cup full of hot java, kissed the wife goodbye, and headed out for my 35 minute ride to work. It was cool, mid fifties, foggy, but always a beautiful ride here on Whidbey Island. Got her up to 55, cruise locked in, coffee in hand, no traffic, in the groove....went around a curve, and there in the road directly in front of me was a deer taking her morning stroll across the road......panic turned into reaction, and before I knew it, I was bearing down on both brakes and hoping the impact would be lessened by my reduced speed....I don't know if the deer finally realized that I was there, or was alerted by the HOLY SHIT! that was spewing forth from my open mouth, but at the last second, she leaped to the other side of the road, and I missed my opportunity for fresh roadkill. Upon reflection immediately after the incident, two things came to mind, the first being that I wondered what the heck happened to my coffee? Unbelievably, it somehow ended up in the cup holder.....wow, I saved the coffee.....(This is after all the Pacific Northwest!) Secondly, I am 100% sure that if I had been riding a bike without ABS, you probably wouldn't be reading this story until I got out of the hospital. Inspite of my "panic" stop, the LT never felt like it was out of control, made a beautiful slow down without locking the wheels, stayed straight, and most importantly SAVED MY BACON. I don't want you to get the wrong impression here, I would also like to take a few moments to recognize the incredible athleticism of the doe that managed to wait to the very last second before leaping so beautifully from the center of the road clear to the other side before disappearing into the trees....(You wonder why I hit the brakes instead of trying to swerve?)
A few minutes after arriving at work, one of my co-workers asked why I was still sitting on my bike?....It takes a while for the ass muscles to release after a pucker of that magnitude. I am sure that there is a lesson to be learned from this, but for now I am just enjoying being at work in one piece, and sharing...
Are you sure the ABS activated? I don't mean this facetiously. When I took my LT in for the 12K service, I had made at least 3 "panic" stops also due to deer. I was impressed at how hard the LT stopped (my wife and her helmet had slammed into my back each time) and how composed it was. I was very impressed with the power assist and the ABS.

I then got the Moditec print-out from the dealership after the service and found that I had yet to ever activate the ABS! I couldn't believe it. I obviously need more braking practice as I apparently am still falling back to my old habits of trying to threshold brake rather than really clamping down on the binders. I did have nearly equal activations of the front and rear brakes (amazing what the computer logs about your riding habits), but not a single ABS activation.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric

On the other hand , Detroit puts some fine cup holders in there cars , But then ...here in Michigan drinking & driving is a ticketable offence ( at least it was when I went to drivers Ed ) . That is , Coffee , water ..you name it . The ticket for alcohol is something to do with open containers + the drinking & driving .
Are you serious? You can't drink water or coffee while driving your car? What is the penalty for adjusting a mirror? Or tweaking the cabin temp? (shaking head in amazement)

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Code:
Are you sure the ABS activated? I don't mean this facetiously. When I took my LT in for the 12K service, I had made at least 3 "panic" stops also due to deer. I was impressed at how hard the LT stopped (my wife and her helmet had slammed into my back each time) and how composed it was. I was very impressed with the power assist and the ABS.
I am not positive, but the 2000 LT's braking system is different than the 2007's. The only motorcycle I've ever owned that didn't lock a wheel during a braking that hard, was my GL1800, and it was an ABS model. ABS activation or not, I gained a lot of respect for my ride this morning.

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #14 of 20 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 7:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Are you serious? You can't drink water or coffee while driving your car? What is the penalty for adjusting a mirror? Or tweaking the cabin temp? (shaking head in amazement)

I don't know what the penalty is , But . That is what they taught us about Drinking & driving in drivers ed. Drinking & driving was drinking anything ,...They made a big point of it too .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #15 of 20 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager

I then got the Moditec print-out from the dealership after the service and found that I had yet to ever activate the ABS! I couldn't believe it. I obviously need more braking practice as I apparently am still falling back to my old habits of trying to threshold brake rather than really clamping down on the binders. I did have nearly equal activations of the front and rear brakes (amazing what the computer logs about your riding habits), but not a single ABS activation.
Try slamming on your brakes at 80. I've done it and the ABS definitely activates. It's good practice. Which is what I was doing. If you have never hit the brakes that hard, chances are when you need to you won't.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #16 of 20 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Try slamming on your brakes at 80. I've done it and the ABS definitely activates. It's good practice. Which is what I was doing. If you have never hit the brakes that hard, chances are when you need to you won't.
I was taking an advanced rider training course a couple of months ago.
Most of my fellow students rode crotch rocket sport bikes.
We went through a couple of exercises involving brake usage. Throughout the brake sessions, the instructors were encouraging me to be sure to clamp down on the brakes. They were telling me to get in the habit of using four fingers on the front brake instead of three which, for some reason, I had not always done. I told them the brakes on the LT were quite responsive and that really clamping down on them, from my experience was not necessary at this time.

Anyhow the last maneuver required to test out and pass the course was to accelerate to 30 - 35 MPH and slam on the brakes when you reached the start of the cross lines. They then measured to see how many lines you continued to cross until the bike came to a stop.
I was the last rider to have to accomplish this. The other riders in front of me did quite well. Many of them actually smoked their tires a bit when they stopped. Even so, they did manage to travel a bit of a distance.

I decided that this was the time I would give them what they wanted.
I got the speed up on the bike to about 35 - 40. When I reached the lead line, I clamped down on the hand and foot brake. I stopped in the shortest distance of any of the other riders. The heaviest bike there by far and no smokin' 'O the rubber!

I looked up and the two instructors and I asked them if that was more of what they were looking for. They just looked at me and started laughing.
I doubt that the ABS even activated but I had no trouble passing the course.

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

post #17 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 2:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes, that was exactly my thought. Given that the 'puter showed not a single ABS activation, it is clear that I am leaving performance on the table! Not good!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 6:10 pm

Guess I'm a little confused. I thought that the ABS activated upon all breaking. It was what activated the rear when only the front was squeezed and vis a versa. Is there something else that is activating both breaks when only one is used?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Interesting given the comment that the guys computer didn't register an activation of the ABS system...After doing a very small amount of research on ABS, I came across this little blurb...
Quote:
The ABS "brain" works by receiving signals from sensors that detect whether a wheel is turning or not. When a wheel stops rotating, brake pressure is relieved which allows the wheel to start turning again. This all happens in a fraction of a second and the whole cycle can be repeated many times per second. Once the ground speed drops below a pre-determined speed, the ABS is disengaged. Otherwise, you'd never be able to come to a complete halt at a stop sign. With cars, it's often in the 20-25 mph range but I suspect it' lower with bikes.
given that the ABS activates to keep the wheel from locking up (not rotating during braking), as long as the wheel doesn't try to stop from turning, maybe there is no activation of the ABS....I don't know except that I was braking hard, and the wheels didn't lock up on me, so I was able to maintain control.

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 8:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Guess I'm a little confused. I thought that the ABS activated upon all breaking. It was what activated the rear when only the front was squeezed and vis a versa. Is there something else that is activating both breaks when only one is used?
I guess it depends on what you are breaking!

Seriously, ABS only is activated when the rotational speed of one wheel is materially different than the other wheels or some other condition is detected. For example, I think the computer also checks for a certain rotation speed rate of change limit as well, otherwise if both wheels started to slip at the same exact time, the ABS could be fooled as there would be no difference in speed between the two wheels even though both are slipping.

So, for most stops, the ABS just sits there and does nothing. Yes, the ABS computer is always monitoring the wheel speed sensors, but this generally is considered to be a passive operation. "Activation" generally implies that the ABS actuators come into play to modulate the brake pressure at each wheel to prevent wheel slip beyond a certain level.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in