Came close to cashing in my chips today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Angry Came close to cashing in my chips today

Nice afternoon and got home from a trip early so I thought I'd take the trusty ol' RT out for a spin since I'll be spending tomorrow on the LT. Headed out and decided to stop by the local dealer and just say hi. Coming from my house I have to turn left into the dealer's parking lot and the turn is just past a left hand sweeper and it always makes me a bit cautious turning in. Well, sure enough, I'm slowing down to make the turn and there is enough oncoming traffic that I can't make the turn into the dealer's lot without stopping in the highway. I always use my mirrors 1,000 times more than the windshield when slowing and stopping and today it paid in spades. As I'm waiting for a hole in the oncoming traffic, with my Hyper-Lites blasting away, the Kisan signal minder keeping my rear turn signals on as running lights, my left turn signal blinking and my Olympia fluorescent yellow jacket in plain view, here she comes...biddy in a Lexus absolutely hauling her aged ass at darn near ludicrous speed. I see her in my mirror and I can tell she's not making any attempt to slow for me. She got to the edge of my comfort zone and I dumped the clutch and started getting out of her way. She did see me at the last minute and took a move toward the shoulder of the road but in no way was she about to clear me. We ended up door handle to handlebar and the old bat had the unmitigated gall to look at me and start giving ME lip. We rode a few yards side by side with me giving her the stink eye and yelling at her through my Shoei before I let her back in front of me. Instead of turning into the next business parking lot I did follow her for about another 100 yards letting her know of my deep displeasure with her and her lack of driving skills.

I finally turned around and rode back to the dealer but I've been pissed for the rest of the day. I am glad that I have learned through reading on this forum and other motorcycle safety articles about clearing your 6 when in traffic. Today, it most likely saved my life...and more importantly, saved my beloved RT from extinction.

As I've told my wife repeatedly the problem is that the law doesn't allow us to kill the stupid ones anymore and now they've procreated at such a rate they now outnumber us. Shame, shame, shame.

Gee, if I'd only had loud pipes all this could have been avoided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Re: Came close to cashing in my chips today

Glad you are still with us! Proof positive to watch your mirrors and keep it in gear! If this had happened at a light or stop sign and you were in neutral you would have been sunk!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 3:23 am

I think she wuz visiting in Boerne coupla weeks ago, Greg!! Luckily, we had two lanes to choose from and she chose to 'swerve' to the empty one instead of getting up close and personal with ole Toad's license tag!! Guess she decided to take the Lexus to TN instead of the Highlander!!

Glad she missed ya, Greg. Stay safe.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 11:44 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Coming from my house I have to turn left into the dealer's parking lot and the turn is just past a left hand sweeper and it always makes me a bit cautious turning in.
Glad you survived it, but maybe you need to go past the lot and pull a U and come back to it. Sounds like it would be safer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 12:50 pm

I really think that a majority of cage drivers resent motorcycles being on the road. Glad you made it out safely, forget about that old bat and move to more pleasant things

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:02 pm

I used to think that the loud pipes did something, but now I believe our best defense is our brain.

Glad that you are OK!

We have the cotton heads down here is South Florida and we really have to watch them since they can't see past the hood ornament.

Don't get angry, it is bad for the rest of the ride. You will be too distracted to ride and you need to just shake your head and be glad that all turned out OK.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Glad you escaped harm and damage!

When I had a battalion of 54 M2A3 Bradleys, and the enemy was speeding toward our position the radio would've sounded like this......

BC: Gunner!

BC: Target....Lexus with idiot behind the wheel.....6 o'clock.....200m and closing! I'd then push the handy little red button on my joystick and the turret would automatically slew to the approximate center of mass of the target for the gunner to identify.
Gunner: TARGET...LEXUS....IDENTFIED!

BC:
FIRE!

Gunner: ON THE WAY!

BC: TARGET DESTROYED....Cease Fire!

Gunner: Rounds complete! (after a burst of 3 x 25mm High Explosive entered the front grill, hood, and then the driver's side windshield)

BC: Gunner, continue to scan.....Driver Move out!

Too bad we don't have rearward facing paintball guns on our bikes!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #8 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Glad you survived it, but maybe you need to go past the lot and pull a U and come back to it. Sounds like it would be safer.
Ummmm. A U-turn would still require a left turn. Actually, I was only making one 90 degree left and a U would require two 90 degree turns. Don't really see where I'd be gaining anything here. And the road is two lane for six or so miles before it goes into a four lane with a traffic light.
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Now there's a farkle that should be set up for a group buy!!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Ummmm. A U-turn would still require a left turn. Actually, I was only making one 90 degree left and a U would require two 90 degree turns. Don't really see where I'd be gaining anything here.
Good on you for being aware and thinking on your feet. Glad you came through without a scratch.

I think what John was suggesting was to go past the dealership to a place where the road didn't have a curve to block the old battleaxe's view, turn around and come back. She's still going to run up your tailpipe, but she won't have a leg to stand on when the ambulance chasers show up.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Last edited by Lee510; Jul 28th, 2010 at 8:24 pm.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss

Now there's a farkle that should be set up for a group buy!!
Sorry, but I don't believe in lead-free ammo! :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Good on you for being aware and thinking on your feet. Glad you came through without a scratch.

I think what John was suggesting was to go past the dealership to a place where the road didn't have a curve to block the old battleaxe's view, turn around and come back. She's still going to run up your tailpipe, but she won't have a leg to stand on when the ambulance chasers show up.
Yes, you're probably right. It's something to consider in the future. If the oncoming traffic doesn't permit a quick turn in perhaps going up the road to a subdivision to turn around would be sound thinking. Sorry John for returning fire in haste. Thanks for the kind suggestion. And thanks Lee for clarifying John's intent. Guess I'm still too irritated at Betty Biddy to think straight. No offense meant and none taken.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in