Downward Exhaust - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Downward Exhaust

New user so forgive me if this is already covered and I didn't find it on my search.

Is there any reason that the exhaust at the rear of my bike is diverted downward right as it comes out that nice chrome pipe? It is driving me crazy cleaning the black of the otherwise spotless chrome.

My riding partner with a Harley can't believe they aim it downwards right into the pipe.

Is this needed for some reason and is there anything out there to adapt to run straight out?

Don't want my bike louder or anything, just want to keep it as spotless as possible.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Re: Downward Exhaust

It's a feature! The carbon on the chrome is your assurance that the fuel injection mapping is indeed going full rich on startup!

Just wipe it off or better yet just ignore it and ride the socks off it!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 12:51 am

Spotless and chrome should be classified as some what Oxymoron.
Go ride the damn bike, collect some splattered bugs ..... get a life and forget about being a clean freak with your LT.

Ok, I said it ... flame suit on

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:42 am

Nah, he's all right. It doesn't become pathological until he starts cleaning and waxing his fuel cell! Then we need to start worrying!

Hey Frank, how's your shiny gas tank looking?

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #5 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 4:40 am

First, to answer your question about the down turn, it most likely was to keep the exhaust noise to a minimum. I put a Remus exhaust on mine for a short time and the noise was disturbing to Ol' What's Her Name. It wasn't really the sound of the exhaust that bothered her (and eventually US), but rather the fact that the exhaust pipe came straight out the back and directly under the left pannier. It seemed to pick up the exhaust note and amplify it through the pannier very similar to banging on an empty 55 gallon barrel with a hammer. Several people have fixed this problem by putting a 4 inch extension on their Remus. Unfortunately for me, I didn't find out about this fix until after I returned mine to stock and got rid of the pipe.

The other added bonus of the down turned pipe is that every time you drive in and out of your garage/parking area you get the floor dusted and the leaves blown off your driveway. The last good reason for the down turn is that when you start your LT after being on the side stand it doesn't blow the oil smoke in your Harley buddies faces, but rather lets it waft gently up to them similar to fog in a Lon Chaney movie.

Now, as to polishing the chrome...I do clean mine from time to time (read here, about three times a year) but my motto is: "If I have time to wash it, I have time to ride it" The road grime, bugs and soot are what distinguish us from our clean freak Harley brothers. Well, that and helmets, appropriate riding gear, gloves with fingers on them, smiles instead of scowls, odometers with more than 4 digits showing, the ability to hear our radios over the din of blaring exhaust pipes, tires with wear on the outer edges too, and......well, you get the picture. I'm envious that you take the time to clean your LT. They're great looking bikes especially when clean but as you spend more time riding you'll find less need to clean because you just won't want to pull yourself off the road that much. Enjoy! and be safe.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 6:04 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Spotless and chrome should be classified as some what Oxymoron.
Go ride the damn bike, collect some splattered bugs ..... get a life and forget about being a clean freak with your LT.

Ok, I said it ... flame suit on
Plus one !!!
I use my bike as a biology lesson. When the grandkids come over I see if they can tell me what kind of bugs of splattered all over my bike.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Plus one !!!
I use my bike as a biology lesson. When the grandkids come over I see if they can tell me what kind of bugs of splattered all over my bike.
Including the INSIDE of the windshield as our new friend will soon discover! That's a wake up cal the first time you see it!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #8 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:30 am

I can't believe I don't have any Harley riding partners. Now I know why.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:37 am

Rumor is it rains and snows occasionally in Germany...and Europe. If the bike should be parked outside.. (I know.. silly) then with the pipe turned down there is less likely to be a problem with precipitation finding it's way into the muffler... then exhaust.. then the rest of the exhaust.. and even into the cylinder with open exhaust valve.. and rust..

Who wants to wax inside the engine?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:26 am

"Hey Frank, how's your shiny gas tank looking?"

Well, the outside looks real good (click, twitch, click click), but I'm having a biotch of a time getting the inside the way I want (twitch twich, click, twitch). I've purchased an endoscope and dremmel tool to get down inside (click twitch), and am planning to use it to remove the built up carbon deposits inside my exhaust pipe. I th-th-th-think it'll be OK OK OK now (twitch click twitch).
I jus-jus-just h-h-h-hate that (click) exhaust s-s-s-s-tuff on my e-e-e-e-xhau---sssst p-p-pipe (click click click twitch)
Oh fu-fu-fu-fu-fu, screw it, I'm gettin' a Ha-Ha-Harley and pi-pi-pi-pirate suit.
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Plus one !!!
Just returned from the Maritimes, ME, NH, MA, NY & PA.
Had a plethora ( ) of red splats. Too small to be mosquitoes.

Any entomologists online?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Rumor is it rains and snows occasionally in Germany...and Europe. If the bike should be parked outside.. (I know.. silly) then with the pipe turned down there is less likely to be a problem with precipitation finding it's way into the muffler... then exhaust.. then the rest of the exhaust.. and even into the cylinder with open exhaust valve.. and rust..

Who wants to wax inside the engine?
Two words: Frank does!!!

Don't encourage him!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #13 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 1:00 pm

Along the same lines...anyone ever "remedy" this issue by, perhaps, cutting the down-turn and putting a straight extension on the OEM pipe that extends from the factory muffler? If you did, do you have details and a pic?

I would swap a decibel or two if it would mean I wouldn't have to use two different sponges every time I wash the beast and then spend a couple minutes with chrome polish (yeah, I'm "that guy" that likes the chrome to sparkle)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 1:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You're supposed to clean it???? I thought that's what the rain was for. Sure don't want to waste valuable riding time with soap and a rag.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Somewhere in the distant past, I was told it was turned downward in order to help meet the then-current Euro noise regs -- the air pulses (sound) dissipates as it reflects off of the pavement across 360 degrees, before it returns back up to where the sound test microphone is located.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Just returned from the Maritimes, ME, NH, MA, NY & PA.
Had a plethora ( ) of red splats. Too small to be mosquitoes.

Any entomologists online?
It's too hard to tell from that description. What do they taste like? And are they soft or crunchy?
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Do what I do, Ride it all day and spend two minutes wiping the grime off after dark....

2000 K1200LTI
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Well, thank you for the replys, it is very entertaining. Bugs are very plentiful up here in Alberta and a guy can waste alot of time attempting to keep it clean. It isn't until you get in the mountains that you are able to ride all day and still see through your windshield.

All the responses as to the downward turn seem to make sense...thank you. I am definitely not interested in making my bike louder. I definitely get the two different rags comment!

Anyway, she is beautiful when she is clean!!!! I promise to ride her even if she is bug covered and dirty but I will still pamper her when I have the time!

Thanks,
Colin
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:37 am

Exactly ... chin up, onward we all go towards the far horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by seecue
Well, thank you for the replys, it is very entertaining. Bugs are very plentiful up here in Alberta and a guy can waste alot of time attempting to keep it clean. It isn't until you get in the mountains that you are able to ride all day and still see through your windshield.

All the responses as to the downward turn seem to make sense...thank you. I am definitely not interested in making my bike louder. I definitely get the two different rags comment!

Anyway, she is beautiful when she is clean!!!! I promise to ride her even if she is bug covered and dirty but I will still pamper her when I have the time!

Thanks,
Colin

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #20 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 6:57 am

I would rather clean the end of the exhaust occasionally than have to clean the soot off the back of the left side case. If the exhaust was straight, I am sure the airflow around the back of the bike would cause sooting on the lower rear much more than with the turn down, since the LT does put out soot on hard acceleration. And occasionally on start up so I hear.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 7:20 am

With my cleaning supplies, I have a small tube of metal polish and an old sock. Just a dab of polish on the sock, a quick wipe on the end of the Remus pipe and I'm done. I probably do this several times a year after each oil change.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in